Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 100 Million PS1s and 74 Million PS2s sold to date

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default 100 Million PS1s and 74 Million PS2s sold to date

While checking out the gamesindustry.biz piece that speculates on the PSP's battery life, you might also wanna check out this piece that quotes Sony's latest hardware sales figures: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=5254

PlayStation/PSone

North America: 40.2 million
    Europe/PAL: 39.8 million
    Japan: 20.9 million

PlayStation 2/PStwo

North America: 32.2 million
    Europe/PAL: 25.9 million
    Japan: 17.9 million

As usual with Sony's numbers, these are sell-IN figures (hardware sold into retail) as opposed to sell-THROUGH figures (hardware sold to consumers), although the difference is rarely more than a few million.

Those are staggering numbers, in case you didn't know.

-- Z.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me be the first to turn this thread into a pointless arguement over how Sony only achieved those numbers because everyone has had to buy three systems to replace the ones that have broken.

Seriously though, I am sure that is part of it - even though none of my PlayStation (2) systems have broken. And even if broken systems are part of those numbers, it is still very impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Do you have comparison data for cube/xbox? Or better yet do you have numbers for Atari VCS and NES?

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by le geek
    Do you have comparison data for cube/xbox? Or better yet do you have numbers for Atari VCS and NES? :)

Cheers,
    Ben
    Farm-fresh sales data for the Cube and Xbox, no, although Microsoft has been touting its North American momentum; the Xbox recently outsold the PS2 over a one-week period for the first time. Neither the GameCube nor the Xbox will ever catch up to the PS2, however. In fact, the combined hardware sales of the Cube and the Xbox will never catch up to the PS2.

As for VCS and NES numbers, I assume your real question is whether either of them sold more units than the PS1 and PS2, and the answer is no. The NES/Famicom was certainly more successful worldwide than the VCS.

EDIT: Changed the final sentence, which originally implied that the NES had outsold the PS1 worldwide, when I meant that it had outsold the VCS worldwide.

-- Z.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Amazing numbers, indeed. It is said very often that the NES in America sold 20 to 25 million units. Now, in every third household in America there is a PS2.

The figures make also clear how important the American market is in the meantime compared to the Japanese market; and Europe certainly caught on.

With the game recession in Japan, I think we can expect Japanese developers more and more tailor their games to 'Western' tastes. While videogames had always universal appeal, the worldwide appeal of games (America and Europe) is now a big factor for Japanese developers from the getgo. You have to fish where the fish bite best.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pixelsnpolygons
    Let me be the first to turn this thread into a pointless arguement over how Sony only achieved those numbers because everyone has had to buy three systems to replace the ones that have broken.

Seriously though, I am sure that is part of it - even though none of my PlayStation (2) systems have broken. And even if broken systems are part of those numbers, it is still very impressive.
    yes, but you also have to hand it to sony's marketing people for creating a product SO desireable, that people will even buy one (multiple times) after it breaks.

seriously, no one over at sony twisted anyone's arm to go buy another PS2 over an xbox/GC/etc. after their system broke, and it's not like a PS2 is an absolute necessity like food/shelter/etc.
    great people to do business with - D-Lite, max330mega, The Collector, Jimmy Yakapucci

neo-geo.com - vwlunatic, BIG BEAR, neogeofl, pixeljunkie, japangamesnow.com, OmegaSaber

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The NES/Famicon did not outsell the PS1 worldwide - PS1 is the only home system to move over 100m.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    The NES/Famicon did not outsell the PS1 worldwide - PS1 is the only home system to move over 100m.
    I edited my post to clear up your confusion. I meant the NES had sold more units than the VCS worldwide, not the PS1. The PS1 and PS2 are the #1 and #2 best-selling home consoles of all time.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dethink
    yes, but you also have to hand it to sony's marketing people for creating a product SO desireable, that people will even buy one (multiple times) after it breaks.
    As I'm sure many people are just like me, Sony's marketing people had little to nothing to do with my desire to purchase a PS2. I purchased a PS2, simply based on the fact that the system, just like any other system out there, has exclusive games that I want to play. Same reason I have every other system that I do.

And I will always contend that the reason that so many PS2's break is because so many people fail to take any sort of decent care of them. Disc-based systems are a whole lot more delicate than cartridge based systems, and it's common sense that a cartridge based system can take a beating ten times worse than a disc-based system and still keep ticking. I don't think a lot of people really consider that, and end up treating their PS2 like their NES - and it can't hold up. Personally, I bought a used PS2 from Gamestop 2+ years ago, and it still works perfectly to this day.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    I edited my post to clear up your confusion. I meant the NES had sold more units than the VCS worldwide, not the PS1. The PS1 and PS2 are the #1 and #2 best-selling home consoles of all time.

-- Z.
    How do they compare to the Gameboy series? I know they are two different markets I am just curious. :P
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel

-- Z.
    How do they compare to the Gameboy series? I know they are two different markets I am just curious. :P
    I don't have recent GB numbers readily available, but the various GB iterations have racked up enormous sales figures over the past 15 years. Nintendo itself compared GBA sales to PS2 sales at its E3 2004 press conference/fanboy revival.

-- Z.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zach is right. I don't have the GB numbers, but worldwide sales of the GB classic alone were in the area of 100m if I remember correctly.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Which console do you guys expect will sell the best this holiday series?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer

PS2, followed by XBOX...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ditto, there's nothing coming to move GC units this year. Oops!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Tough call. Halo 2 is system-selling software, but the PStwo is dead-sexy hardware. I'm only comfortable in predicting that the GameCube will finish a distant third, and lose even more ground to the Xbox. (This half-assed non-prediction is for the NA market only, of course.)

Also, it seems obvious that the PlayStation 2 will reach the 100 million mark before it's done, seeing as it's only been at $149 for six months--the price point at and below which 90 of those 100 million PS1s were sold.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish ther was a way to find out what percentage of those systems are broken. While I've never have had a problem with my PS2 I know it is refurbashied.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

As for the GameCube - Nintendo is looking to sell a lot of DS units, but where do Prime 2 (saw an ad on TV... :/ ) and New Zelda fit in? As they aren't doing anything special for the console at all this holiday season, are they looking for a short future revival with MP2 and New Zelda or is it possible they're going to push those titles back to the next console?

Odd that N is working this way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

kai123 wrote:
    zmweasel wrote:
    kevincure wrote:

-- Z.

I don't have recent GB numbers readily available, but the various GB iterations have racked up enormous sales figures over the past 15 years. Nintendo itself compared GBA sales to PS2 sales at its E3 2004 press conference/fanboy revival.

-- Z.
    Nintendo announced a while back that the Gameboy and its variations sold 100 million units. It was a couple years ago. I'm sure they haven't gone very far beyond that number b/c Nintendo has been pushing the GBA and SP for the past couple years.

THE ONE, THE ONLY- RCM

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd be curious what percentage of the total population those numbers reflect. Its tough to compare data across decades when there's X-million more people (X-billion worldwide) around to buy these things.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector