Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why didn't Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo buy stock in SEGA

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Why didn't Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo buy stock in SEGA

What's the deal with Sammy owning Sega. I'm too lazy to research everything that happened when Sammy bought them but why wouldn't one of the console makers buy a controlling interest in Sega in order to secure quality titles for their system?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Why didn't Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo buy stock in SEG

Quality titles such as..? Besides, Sega's clout seems to be in the arcades these days..!

When Microsoft bought Bungie, they got ahold of a SMALL firm, so small investment put down, and got a HUGE franchise.

When Sega broke off from the rest of the gaming continent, a legion of fans waved goodbye.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When Sega broke off from the rest of the gaming continent, a legion of fans waved goodbye.
    Do you really think its true that their fans waved goodbye? So you're saying people here who love Saturn and Dreamcast don't buy Sega games that are released on the current gen systems? I agree with you for the most part but I still think the Sega name means something and I don't even particularly like their games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What does the Sega name mean, then? Great classics compilations? Rather unexciting Phantasy Star Online games (I've played over 90 hours on one character all offline...I daresay the game gained popularity because it filled a niche which is hard to fill, that of the Console not-quite-MM-Online Game)? There's Shinobi-Kunoichi/Nightshade...if one likes it, it's for a different reason than you liked the old Shinobi games, I'd say.

I'm just not sure anymore. Years ago Sega stood for a certain thing - enjoyable games. Now Sega is...what? Going the Nintendo way of kiddie character designs and really really crap voice acting in rather sad attempts at making games? They don't seem to have a handle on who they should be trying to reach out towards.

Well, I'm not ready to declare this horse dead quite yet, but I feel that after the awesomeness provided on the Saturn and Dreamcast that they've slid far, far backwards. We've gone from NiGHTs and Burning Rangers to excess amounts of rather shitty appearing 3rd person behind-the-back Sonic and not much else. This isn't a comment on the quality of these games - I'm not qualified for that - but just a simple analysis of what Sega LOOKS like these days. I'm putting my money into the old Sega stuff...it'll be a while before I'll be tempted to approach the brink, really.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quality titles such as..? Besides, Sega's clout seems to be in the arcades these days..!

When Microsoft bought Bungie, they got ahold of a SMALL firm, so small investment put down, and got a HUGE franchise.

Why would you even insinuate that Sega doesn't make quality games? They have a very unique style that stands out miles above the rest, and for the most part their titles are extremely innovative and very often imitated, IMO.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Why would you even insinuate that Sega doesn't make quality games? They have a very unique style that stands out miles above the rest, and for the most part their titles are extremely innovative and very often imitated, IMO.
    As I said, once again, this isn't a commentary on the quality of Sega's games...this is a look through my eyes at what sort of an image Sega projects, and it's an image of complacency and unwillingness to move away from kiddie stuff. Whether or not a good game they make is besides the point - if you can't get somebody interested in buying the newest Sonic game, be it on GBA, N-Gage, PlayStation 4 or FedeXBox, then everything else is pretty much a moot point.

Oh, and I think I will insinuate that Sega doesn't make quality games anymore, and I'll get away with it because we all know that the Sega Ages 2500 remakes of Golden Axe and Space Harrier are far below the mark. I've always said that I like the idea of budget games, but if this is what I should come to expect, then forget it. I'll stick with buying 2 or 3 current-gen titles a year.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Umm I spent my weekend playing NFL 2k and Crazy taxi for the dreamcast. I'm looking forward to playing sonic heroes.

I still feel their games are very good....

-Tritium
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I really wouldn't know about now, because I still don't own any of the current consoles yet, but all their games for them look pretty good to me.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont have to many current gen games by Sega. Infact I have just one Panzer Dragoon Orta and that game kicks some major ass. Play it and enjoy.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by tritium
    Umm I spent my weekend playing NFL 2k and Crazy taxi for the dreamcast. I'm looking forward to playing sonic heroes.
    Bold added for emphasis. Sega pulled out all the stops for the Dreamcast - new Rent-a-Hero, Ecco, the original PSO Ep. 1&2 (for all my talk about it - it's really still not a product of this post-console Sega), Seaman, and more.

Yeah, they've got Rez, but what will a product with low coverage do to turn them around?

Anybody who's unable to see that Sega is a mere shadow of what it once was - even within a short span of time - is decieving themselves. More power to you, but everybody else has moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    Well I really wouldn't know about now, because I still don't own any of the current consoles yet, but all their games for them look pretty good to me.
    So I spent all that time explaining my points and you didn't have any reason to not believe what I wrote in the first place? That's not healthy, man.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Holy smokes - talk about taking what could've been an interesting topic and taking it off course...

The question itself is an interesting one I think. I'd have to *guess* that it would have to do with money but I could've been wrong. I'd assume that you'd need a controllilng stake in Sega before you could start dictating for which system(s) their focus would be on, and that would be no small amount of dough.

For Sony it would only make sense if they felt they had to block MicroSoft or Nintendo. They don't need the brand boost in and of itself.

For Nintendo it would've made for some good marketing (two classic game makers united or something similar). For MicroSoft it would've given them some instant credibility. I'd be surprised if neither *looked* at it but I'm not a businessman so maybe I'm missing something.
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody who's unable to see that Sega is a mere shadow of what it once was - even within a short span of time - is decieving themselves. More power to you, but everybody else has moved on.
    I'm picking up what you're putting down, Ed. Sega was supposed to be a first-rate software house, a legitimate competitor to EA and Activision, but it's devolved into a second-stringer. Most of its Japanese-developed games just aren't connecting with the North American audience, and I don't see Feel the Magic: XY/XX doing anything to reverse that trend. The $20 sports-game gambit has paid off in the short term, but I'm still doubtful about the long term.

-- Z.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I had reports that Sega's finacial position since they have got software only has gotten much better -- the company is no longer in the red and they are making a healthy profit. If that's true, how can the company be called struggling? While I agree that Sega is not the power it once was, they have still made some great games over the last year (Panzer Dragoon Orta for the XBox and Skies of Arcadia Legend for the GC coming to mind.)
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thanks Zach. I stand by everything I've written, but I'm aware it was starting to become somewhat incomprehensible...so that's for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    Holy smokes - talk about taking what could've been an interesting topic and taking it off course...
    Off course how? The very heart of the question is whether Sega's games are selling - if they aren't there's not much reason for any company to be much interested in them.

Another issue would likely be the administrative aspect. No sense picking up and trying to keep control over a huge operation when you can simply pick and choose good development houses to add to your stable...you can pick and choose, and the idea of picking up a large company like Sega which hasn't been accomplishing much lately would understandably not be first choice for companies like Microsoft or Nintendo.

Sammy was a good fit because of Sega's arcade division and Sega's potential in the console market, which is in sore need of new direction.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I had reports that Sega's finacial position since they have got software only has gotten much better
    Yeah, I guess when you're hemmoraging cash you can only get better (or fold)!

There's a difference between doing well and producing your best - I think it's pretty clear that Sega's mix of home console offerings recently haven't been as good as they could be. Same goes for some other dev houses, but remember that it wasn't THAT long ago that Sega's works set the world on fire, so to speak.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm surprised no one realized this:

Sammy is a HUGE arcade manufacturer.

Sega is a HUGE arcade manufacturer.

Put 1 and 1 together, and you've got the last true arcade powerhouse around.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks goatdan, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I don't know anything about Sammy and so when they're name kept coming up it sounded to me like some toy manufacturer that was trying to break into the video game biz. Do you know what games Sammy is responsible for?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody
    Thanks goatdan, that's the kind of answer I was looking for. I don't know anything about Sammy and so when they're name kept coming up it sounded to me like some toy manufacturer that was trying to break into the video game biz. Do you know what games Sammy is responsible for?

Sammy...let's see...

The Guilty Gear Franchise
    Demolish Fish/Rumble Fish
    Dolphin Blue
    Sports Shooting
    Force Five
    Ranger Mission
    KOF Neowave (SNK tie in)
    NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (SNK tie in)
    Knights of Valour

and some others...
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    I'm surprised no one realized this:

Sammy is a HUGE arcade manufacturer.

Sega is a HUGE arcade manufacturer.
    Two posts above yours. When I read the press releases months ago detailing the merger/buyout, that's exactly what was mentioned. Sammy's - I believe it was their President - is taking over that position in Sega as well as an extra person to make sure the folks at Sega are working on the sort of stuff Sammy wants them to.

Plus, this line in my first post:

... Besides, Sega's clout seems to be in the arcades these days..!
    Anyhow, thought I'd point that out in my defense ;)

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anybody who's unable to see that Sega is a mere shadow of what it once was...
    I agree with this.

I do feel SEGA is a hollow crust of the great company it once was. But i do think its rather telling than the one current gen game that I actually want to own from them is "Outrun 2"

which just happens to be an arcade game.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz