Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Ebay have any real competition?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

I still occasionally use ebay for both buying and selling, but nowhere near as much as I used to. And it's almost always BIN for both.

My problem with FB marketplace is the search is busted. You put in a radius of say, 10 miles, and it mixes in results from all over the country. That would be an extremely cool feature if it worked right, but as it is, it's extremely frustrating to use.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I use Ebay still. Don't like/trust Mercari or Etsy. I sometimes use FB Marketplace for nearby stuff, but I get burned constantly on that, just one moron after the other.
    Mercari actually work on an escrow system. transaction occurs, they hold the funds and the funds get released when the item arrives. I had a purchase go sour and getting my money back was pretty straightforward.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I can't speak for Etsy itself, but Etsy owns Reverb, which is like an eBay just for music gear, and my husband has always had great experiences with that, even when transactions don't go as planned. So if there are protections for buyers on Reverb, I would imagine and hope there would be on Etsy too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I still use ebay not like i have much of a choice when buying for retro video games.I've used etsy once last year to buy a lot of 2600 games and it turned out fine.All ways thought about trying yahoo japan but that requires a proxy.Then there's amazon jpn,where you can buy directly now without a middleman but japan post isn't shipping to the u.s right currently it's just dhl.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 07-22-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

The Gentleman Thief Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    BalooDP
    Steam
    baloorj

Had a family member that used Mercari to sell a ton of stuff, but the setup looked quite sketchy to me, and didn't seem to have the same amount of protections as eBay for buyers or sellers. eBay is still my number one look-to place for rare stuff, then Craigslist. But I don't own any video games anymore, just the mini consoles, so I can't speak for video games specifically. It's interesting to look back and see how eBay has stayed consistently there over the years. I prefer it to Amazon which has become this tech giant.