Thread: Ridiculous Expectations (Radiant Silvergun)

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ridiculous Expectations (Radiant Silvergun)

I recently bid on this auction, knowing that I couldn't afford it, but I never expected this. I think the seller must be dreaming about what it's worth.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEDW:IT

Over $350 and the reserve STILL wasn't met? SHEESH get a freaking GRIP!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and that is why not as many people own it that want to play it

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To be fair, a factory sealed Radiant Silvergun is worth a lotta dough. I wouldn't be suprised if the reserve was $500.

Personally, I don't really get the attraction of sealed games. Other than as a way to make lots of money if you can find them cheap somewhere.

But I am sure there is someone somewhere who would happily fork out $400 at least for that, if not $500.

Vroomfunkel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, right, and that's why they were so quick to jump all over that auction!

I don't give a damn if it's wrapped in gold foil, no game is worth that much money just because it's still sealed in plastic, and all the bidders have spoken!

Get BIT!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon

I don't give a damn if it's wrapped in gold foil, no game is worth that much money just because it's still sealed in plastic, and all the bidders have spoken!

Not every one is on ebay 24/7

On ebay, an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. In this case the seller could have sold for $350+ Maybe he still will, maybe not.. Maybe his reserve was $400 or $500, or maybe $2500, only seller knows for sure. Just because you are not willing to pay so much for something does not mean it isn't worth it.

$400+ for a used yellowed SNES with box is insane. A factory sealed Radiant Silvergun, I would throw $200+ at, but come up short most any day of the week. It's going to be worth exactly what someone bids it up to, and that may well be more than you or I would prefer to pay for one.

So without knowing the seller's reserve I think it's foolish to speculate on what the seller was smoking. It could have been a couple dollars away from selling, it could have been a couple hundred. But not everyone who lists on ebay is looking to sell cheap or sell on the first time out. Seller may have a price in mind, or maybe he didn't before, but does now. Often times ebay is used as a free appraisal service. Just list once up with extremely high reserve, and watch as auction closes to see a typical winning snipe come up short as reserve not yet met.

So seller could very well lower reserve for future listing, or maybe not, maybe he has a price in mind & will not budge, and may very well end up finding someone on ebay to pay his reserve price.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well.... You say that this Radiant Silvergun doesn't worth $500.... A sealed Shining Force 3 Premium Disc sold over $800 a few years ago... Believe it or not, but some people are fucking crazy.... x_x x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's a used Radiant Silvergun "worth?" Some people would pay $150 for a complete one. Look at these damned sealed SNES games we've been seeing...complete, they aren't worth anything near it.

Well, what can I say...sealed game business is insane. INSANE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you got that right! A good mint complete Radiant Silvergun would go for around $200. So what pisses me off is why just a little cellophane drives it up to around double that amount. It's bullshit. If it's only worth $200 or so mint complete, then it shouldn't be worth very much more than that sealed.

But no, hell no, let's set the reserve at "call the white coats"! Then watch all the loonies bid "I need a straightjacket"! So you'd better believe it's INSANE!

But the funniest thing about this auction was the way that I helped to get it off it's ass. I was just sitting there laughing at all the fools bidding $40 for it, like that would even do it in their dreams. So I bid $100, knowing I was safe. That got the real players excited, so they started getting serious. But still not serious enough, so I bid $200, knowing I was still safe. That got it in the neighborhood. After that, everybody was too spooked to go much higher, afraid that they might actually meet the reserve, including me. I thought the reserve would be met somewhere around $250, but to see that even $350 didn't do it is just completely nuts. So I still say that the market has spoken.

Nobody has as much money to throw around at stuff like this as they used to now. Maybe next month they could get $500 for one, but I still doubt it. I know where I can get one cheaper than that, if I really wanna spend that much money on one, and I suspect that most other serious collectors know where to get one cheaper than that too. That's why they stopped at $350 for it. Because they know that it can be had for that much elsewhere. I just don't have the money for it right now, so that's why I was just playing with that auction. Oh yeah, of course I had the $200 to cover my bid at the time that I placed it, just in case I actually ended up winning it for that much, but I knew that I didn't have to worry about that anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't. I would never screw with something like that if I wasn't confident that I could screw with it safely. And it was fun to screw with it!

But really, if I know of at least two different places where I could get myself a sealed Radiant Silvergun for $300 - $400 right now, then why would I pay $500 for one on ebay? Why would anybody pay that much for it, even if they had that much money to spend? People looking to drop that much cash on a game have thoroughly researched their options, and they're not just gonna jump all over one on ebay, going OMG! It's the Radiant Silvergun! ROXORS! Must have! There's just not even gonna be a stupid clueless newb stupid enough to bid $500 for one, so I really just don't see it happening. Not now, not with the economy so messed up, and not just for one game that's only that expensive because of all the hype that surrounds it. It's not rare at all, and sealed copies are still very plentiful, so it's just not gonna sell for $500 to anybody with a clue, and I doubt that it would sell for that much money to anybody without a clue either. All the hype around it is dying out.

Get BIT!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, you got that right! A good mint complete Radiant Silvergun would go for around $200. So what pisses me off is why just a little cellophane drives it up to around double that amount. It's bullshit. If it's only worth $200 or so mint complete, then it shouldn't be worth very much more than that sealed.

But no, hell no, let's set the reserve at "call the white coats"! Then watch all the loonies bid "I need a straightjacket"! So you'd better believe it's INSANE!

But the funniest thing about this auction was the way that I helped to get it off it's ass. I was just sitting there laughing at all the fools bidding $40 for it, like that would even do it in their dreams. So I bid $100, knowing I was safe. That got the real players excited, so they started getting serious. But still not serious enough, so I bid $200, knowing I was still safe. That got it in the neighborhood. After that, everybody was too spooked to go much higher, afraid that they might actually meet the reserve, including me. I thought the reserve would be met somewhere around $250, but to see that even $350 didn't do it is just completely nuts. So I still say that the market has spoken.

Nobody has as much money to throw around at stuff like this as they used to now. Maybe next month they could get $500 for one, but I still doubt it. I know where I can get one cheaper than that, if I really wanna spend that much money on one, and I suspect that most other serious collectors know where to get one cheaper than that too. That's why they stopped at $350 for it. Because they know that it can be had for that much elsewhere. I just don't have the money for it right now, so that's why I was just playing with that auction. Oh yeah, of course I had the $200 to cover my bid at the time that I placed it, just in case I actually ended up winning it for that much, but I knew that I didn't have to worry about that anyway, so it wouldn't have mattered if I didn't. I would never screw with something like that if I wasn't confident that I could screw with it safely. And it was fun to screw with it!

But really, if I know of at least two different places where I could get myself a sealed Radiant Silvergun for $300 - $400 right now, then why would I pay $500 for one on ebay? Why would anybody pay that much for it, even if they had that much money to spend? People looking to drop that much cash on a game have thoroughly researched their options, and they're not just gonna jump all over one on ebay, going OMG! It's the Radiant Silvergun! ROXORS! Must have! There's just not even gonna be a stupid clueless newb stupid enough to bid $500 for one, so I really just don't see it happening. Not now, not with the economy so messed up, and not just for one game that's only that expensive because of all the hype that surrounds it. It's not rare at all, and sealed copies are still very plentiful, so it's just not gonna sell for $500 to anybody with a clue, and I doubt that it would sell for that much money to anybody without a clue either. All the hype around it is dying out.

I didn't even see that auction until you posted about it. Quite honestly, if there was no reserve set, I'm sure it would have ended HIGHER than it actually did. The psychology is that a reserve price, when set, triggers a bidder's mindset to look at the auction thinking that the reserve is actually higher than what he/she is willing to bid. With that in mind, once bidding gets going and the reserve doesn't get met time and time again, then the bidder just gives up.

If there was no reserve on the auction..and you were the current winning bidder at $100 with a day left...you would start to feel excited that maybe you had a chance of winning this game sealed at an awesome price. It happens, it's just human nature. Depending on who sees the auction at the time and who wants it badly enough, there will most likely be a bid war near the end of the auction seeing as how the PROSPECT of getting the game cheap and beating your bid will entice other "watchers" to bid.
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by video_game_addict
    . But not everyone who lists on ebay is looking to sell cheap or sell on the first time out. Seller may have a price in mind, or maybe he didn't before, but does now. Often times ebay is used as a free appraisal service. Just list once up with extremely high reserve, and watch as auction closes to see a typical winning snipe come up short as reserve not yet met.
    Yea well it's not fre to list something on Ebay. And it's not cheap to list something with a $500 reserve.

And it's a lot simpler to just do a search and find out what Sealed Games have sold for lately.

So if a seller is using that as an appraisal tool , they're not to smart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    I didn't even see that auction until you posted about it. Quite honestly, if there was no reserve set, I'm sure it would have ended HIGHER than it actually did. The psychology is that a reserve price, when set, triggers a bidder's mindset to look at the auction thinking that the reserve is actually higher than what he/she is willing to bid. With that in mind, once bidding gets going and the reserve doesn't get met time and time again, then the bidder just gives up.
    Well you're probably right about that. After I bid $200 on it, to get it in the ballpark, everybody else got real skittish about bidding on it anymore, until sniping time, including myself. But I really only bid on it when I did for a few reasons. Mainly, so all the clueless people wouldn't get their hopes up while it sat there at only $40 for a week, because all the real bidders knew that it was gonna take alot more than $40 to win it. Probably 10 times more, so any bid below $100 was a complete waste of time, and the newbs might as well get schooled right away. That way they can go bid on something they can afford, instead of having to worry about something they can't afford.

If there was no reserve on the auction..and you were the current winning bidder at $100 with a day left...you would start to feel excited that maybe you had a chance of winning this game sealed at an awesome price. It happens, it's just human nature. Depending on who sees the auction at the time and who wants it badly enough, there will most likely be a bid war near the end of the auction seeing as how the PROSPECT of getting the game cheap and beating your bid will entice other "watchers" to bid.
    Not really. Because I'd still know that there was no way in hell that I was gonna get it for only $100, or even for $200, if I had stayed the high bidder for the rest of the week after I placed my last bid. I might've tried to snipe it for $250, which is what I thought the reserve would be, but I wouldn't be so foolish as to get excited that $200 might actually win it for me. Sure, I'd still be hopeful that by some fluke of fate that I might actually get it for that, but not enough to get excited that it might actually happen. Not with this game. I know better. But yeah, with a less legendary game, sure I would!

But under normal auction circumstances, I'd just be watching it for a week and waiting to pounce on it with the rest of the snipers, for the reasons you listed. If it was just sitting there with my name on it as the high bidder for only $40, like one of those clueless newbs, the prospect of somebody else actually getting it for that cheap would attract snipers like schools of sharks are attracted blood. That's why I almost never bid on anything until sniping time. Sometimes, I'll go ahead and place the opening bid on something, if nobody else has bid on it yet, and it's getting pretty close to the end of the auction, just to declare my interest in it. Because sometimes that will actually deter anyone else from bidding on it. And I'll also do that sometimes if the item has a BIN on it, and I'm just trying to get it for cheap, but I'm afraid that somebody might go ahead and snatch it up for the BIN. I only made the mistake of not doing that once, and I won't make that mistake again.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quite honestly, if there was no reserve set, I'm sure it would have ended HIGHER than it actually did. The psychology is that a reserve price, when set, triggers a bidder's mindset to look at the auction thinking that the reserve is actually higher than what he/she is willing to bid. With that in mind, once bidding gets going and the reserve doesn't get met time and time again, then the bidder just gives up.
    Yeah. I try to use this to my advantage whenever possible...which isn't really that often, but when you've toughed it out for five days and take command of the auction it pays off.

I wouldn't set up a reserve auction. Too much to pay, no guarantee you'll get your money's worth, and you can just do a For Sale post here at the Roundtable.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Quite honestly, if there was no reserve set, I'm sure it would have ended HIGHER than it actually did. The psychology is that a reserve price, when set, triggers a bidder's mindset to look at the auction thinking that the reserve is actually higher than what he/she is willing to bid. With that in mind, once bidding gets going and the reserve doesn't get met time and time again, then the bidder just gives up.
    Yeah. I try to use this to my advantage whenever possible...which isn't really that often, but when you've toughed it out for five days and take command of the auction it pays off.

I wouldn't set up a reserve auction. Too much to pay, no guarantee you'll get your money's worth, and you can just do a For Sale post here at the Roundtable.
    Reserves make no sense to me.
    There's a fee associated with your reserve price, so it does not dodge fees.
    Many, MANY bidders HATE reserves and will not bid on them, so it does not raise your price.
    Personally, I just don't understand. I start the auction at or just below the lowest i'd take, and set the BIN at what i'd like to get. IF someone won't fork out an opening bid at what I set my low at, tough crap for them, at least I don't get burned and sell mario 3 for 2.14 shipped.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, but then you're paying more for a higher opening bid, so you might as well start it with a low opening bid, and put a reserve on it. Reserve auctions don't make any sense for low value items, but you'd be a fool to put a high value item up for bids without a reserve on it. Most bidders will know what it's worth and you'll get a fair price for it anyway, but sometimes they'll go cheap on you, and if the auction ends for less than what you wanted for it, you're still obligated to sell the item to the high bidder for that price anyway.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Reserve auctions don't make any sense for low value items, but you'd be a fool to put a high value item up for bids without a reserve on it.
    Maybe you'd be a fool to put a high value item up without pimping it on forums you frequent, and failing to time it to coincide with the sale of a similar item on eBay..?

Reserve auctions are a problem for me; you don't know what the seller wants. Today a nice boxed Laseractive went for $80, and I feel some of that was due to there being a reserve on the auction for the first few days. A lot of us shy away from uncertainty...can you blame that?

Most bidders will know what it's worth and you'll get a fair price for it anyway, but sometimes they'll go cheap on you, and if the auction ends for less than what you wanted for it, you're still obligated to sell the item to the high bidder for that price anyway.
    Reserves make sure you get certainty...and so do minimum bids!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a bidder, I don't see why a reserve matters either way. I still bid what I'm willing to pay, and if I lose or don't meet the reserve, so be it. I never understood why they scare everyone away. I also don't see the point in using them in the first place, when a higher starting bid does the same thing.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree with ddockery. Reserves make absolutely no sense to me. Why not just start the game at what you are willing to let it go for. Personally, I don't think reserves help sellers at all, and most of the time it probabley hurts them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well i got lazy and stopped reading your posts, but i understand pretty much what you guys were trying to say.

that is bloody crazy man, just crazy. for $500, isn't that enough money to buy a plane ticket to hong kong and beat the guy up for the game? I don't know much about plane ticket prices, so don't listen to me if it costs a bunch more

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

People looking to drop that much cash on a game have thoroughly researched their options, and they're not just gonna jump all over one on ebay, going OMG! It's the Radiant Silvergun! ROXORS! Must have! There's just not even gonna be a stupid clueless newb stupid enough to bid $500 for one, so I really just don't see it happening. Not now, not with the economy so messed up, and not just for one game that's only that expensive because of all the hype that surrounds it.
    I would have to disagree. Every now and again, people will drop stupid money on games, without checking the market. Case in point - I recently auctioned Twinkle Star Sprites for the Saturn, and it fetched $300. No kidding.

Plus, you have to remember that just because the US economy is messed up, it doesn't mean the rest of the world is. In fact, since the dollar is low against most other currencies, an amount that looks insane to you could look pretty reasonable to most of the rest of the world.

Not to mention the fact that even in the US, the people with serious cash aren't, on the whole, going to be put out of pocket by the downturn in the economy. It's the people who didn't have any money in the first place that are going to get shafted the worst by that ... but don't get me started on that, or I'll be going all night!

As for reserves, I am sure that they don't bother some bidders .. but just because they don't bother you, doesn't mean that they don't bother other people. Sure, it might not make sense .. but reserve prices do put people off. I hardly ever use them. There is a perception among many bidders, whether correct or not, that sellers use reserve prices to try to prevent anyone from ever getting anything cheap, and since a lot of people are only on ebay to try to get stuff cheap, that tends to put them off.

Vroomfunkel

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And how many times have you stated you only buy sealed games?
    Theres your reason for the price.