Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your "rules" for buying a game?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What are your "rules" for buying a game?

I was talking to someone about collecting the other day... and I started to realize that it seems everyone has different rules about the condition and/or accessories included with the items they add to their collection. For example - I really don't care about boxes, at all. I realize that other people want complete games, so I'll hold onto some boxes for things I might resell - but I hate having packaging cluttering up my workspace. Since I don't want the box, I can pick up carts much cheaper. However - I will *not* keep a cart with writing on it, or if the cart label is in sucky condition. I hate finding a game I want, but it turns out so be covered in rental stickers, has some punk kids initials on it, or has that sticker residue I have come to call gamestop slime on the label so I can't clean it off.

So I ask you guys, what rules do you have for adding stuff to the collection?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

price !! i played most of my games so as long as it's playable at a cheap price
    i won't complain (the occasional time i'll fork up some serious $$$ for a sealed game, i probably has a copied of the game open /loose already for playing )
    GOOD SELLER'S: lone_monster, *BUYER"S**FantasiaWHT , The_Chosen_One, max 330 mega, DDCecil, video_game_addict, optic_85, **underexposed+ **, Querjek, buffquinn, Crush Crawfish, The Collector, pseudonym, bobdrywalls , charitycasegreg, y-bot, Captain Yashiro, ** Lady Jaye**,, buttasuperb

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a personal rule about buying a new, current-generation console:

If you can't name, off the top of your head, 10-15 titles you want to play on it, you don't need to get it.

I have successfully used this rule to veto Mrs. PDF's occasional bouts of Xbox lust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

as long as the game is working i dont care, however i prefer mint games. if i buy a game with damage and come across the same game in better condition at a later time, i will replace it. and with nes games complete, while not very cost effective, are just beautiful and give me a special feeling of owning them

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If theres money in my wallet and the items not in my closet it meets my criteria.

But seriously I'm a nut about systems/accessories. If I don't have it, don't see it often and its in good shape I'll take it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

#1 Rule -- If I want it, I buy it.

after that, newer games must be complete and near mint....older stuff can be loose. if i dont have it and can get it at a good price, i buy it
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It MUST be sealed. I don't care if I am gonna open it up to play it anyway, I want to be the person who opens it, so the very first fingerprints on it will be MINE. I make very few exceptions to this rule, and only when there's just no way in hell that I'm ever gonna find a sealed one. In those cases, it must be as mint and complete as possible, as though it was opened up but never played for some reason. That's why my collection KICKS ASS! But of course some may disagree. I made the fatal mistake of exchanging all my Sega CD & Saturn cases for regular jewel cases, and I threw away all the empty cases. I also only kept the boxes for my Genesis & 32X games, so I threw away the boxes for all my SNES, Jaguar, Jaguar CD, & 3DO games. Plus I did something really stupid and threw out all the inserts for my Playstation & 3DO games, so they would look the same as all my Sega CD & Saturn games on my display rack. Absolutely INSANE, I know, but for some reason I had no idea what I was doing at the time. So chalk that goof up to temporary insanity I guess. But at least all my Dreamcast games are still complete. However they all need to be replaced, due to inconsiderate roomates, so that's my goal for 2005!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it's an SMS game or PSX RPG it must be complete, anything else I just buy what I like weather it's complete or not, though I always try to get a complete game no matter what. As for price, it depends on how I'm feeling that day and how much I have available to spend.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

price and condition
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I decided earlier this year, after I paid full price for MVP Baseball 2004 for the GC, that I would no longer pay more than $30 for any game and I've been able to hold to that voe except for Red Dead Revolver. I paid about $33 for that one...but the guy mailing it to me didn't charge anything for shipping so it amounted to a $30 game. I don't need the boxes for most of my cartridge games though I've kept them for my Jaguar and Lynx games...I'd like them to be complete when it comes to the disc games but I'll take them without instructions if the price is right.

One game that may test me is Rumble Roses...I'd like that but it won't be less than $30 for awhile...then again, you'd be surprised how quickly people will buy a game, beat it and then put it up for sale...

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tholly
    #1 Rule -- If I want it, I buy it.

after that, newer games must be complete and near mint....older stuff can be loose. if i dont have it and can get it at a good price, i buy it

That is how I am about it.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My rule is 8 bit and older don't need boxes but they are preferred. 16 bit and newer I won't buy loose without boxes anymore (some cart based systems are exceptions) but CDs are worthless loose and I can't display them and they just take up space in a binder, so I only want completes. Another thing is, is that I prefer 8 bit stuff 10 to 1 over newer so if the new stuff is not complete it's not worth my time, my newer systems don't need boxes, they need to be in nice shape though, and I prefer to have a matching brand of controllers for them too, basically it has to look good to display it on a shelf. I will buy new games loose or complete if I can resell them, I am working on starting an Ebay online store, and a games a game and cash is cash.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

#1 - must be something I enjoy playing or think I'll enjoy playing
    #2 - must be recommended either by a review site I trust or by someone at digitpress.com
    #3 - must be in good, playable shape. Manual preferred, box optional.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost the same as calthaer's.

Now-a-days, I will mainly go for what I want to play.
    Before I buy it, I check review sites, search for or create topics here and at
    AtariAge for feedback. (Especially if it's on multiple platforms and I want to see if any are screwed up.. *cough* NFS:HP2 *cough*)

I don't mind used, I prefer a manual, but it isn't imperative especially since I sometimes can't get one. But the box and insert (For disc games) is required. No disc-only for me. For PSX and DC games the case can be in terrible shape as long as there's a back insert and a manual. Usually I can just replace the case if it's a standard jewel case. Not that I have yet at all. I still have tons of stickers from EB. For cartridge games, I try complete as best as possible. I don't buy loose GBA games (Except for Chu Chu Rocket and if I ever come across one, Atari Anniversary.) I try to get a complete one. If it's a used, but boxed, I always check an make sure there's a manual. I hate having to go after manuals later as I don't know where I'd find one. For NES or genesis, as complete as possible if it will be boxed. mainly WHEN I actually go after them, I will settle for loose.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If I want it, I buy it.
    I actually prefer to buy loose, since i am probably the biggest hater of boxes and manuals on this board. I get pissed at having to trade off those infernal boxes and manuals.
    I'll take the carts in any condition, but i PREFER better condition carts. one of these days, i'm going to de-sticker my snes and genesis carts that have stickers - i got a ton of former rental genesis games..not so much for any system but genesis.
    Systems I am PICKY about. I HATE crappy condition systems; and I for the most part REFUSE to buy anything but MODEL ONE/LAUNCH hardware. there are a few exceptions. I consider the "Revisions" of the original design ps2 to all be the "first" model, since they all look the same anyway. However, I won't touch a flip top "pstwo". While a heavy sixer was not NECCASSARY for me, i was overjoyed to get one, and forked out what i needed to fork out to get it, But any six switch 2600 will do me fine....
    exceptions being, I bought an atari XEGS instead of, say, an atari 400 computer, for compatibility reasons, And i got a silver/black common ti99/4a for the same reason. 'Apparently, the c64 i just purchased is a "later model", But it's still the breadbox - still the one I remember.
    As for controllers - they MUST be first party. MUST!!! Although I DO use atari 7800 pads on c64, as well as atari systems, they are still a first party controller, which i associate with QUALITY. I've had no more than two offbrand genesis pads and they both broke quickly; offbrand n64 memory cards took a dump in the middle of a season of all star baseball 2000(the only season I ever came close to finishing in a sports title)...
    Hrm, I think that's all my rules. heh.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Cd games have to be perfect. Course sometimes when I buy online it doesn't work out that way. :/

Unless they're rare, then "completeing a set" can be fun in and of itself. Like Valkrie Profile I bought without a box, took me about a year to aquire a replacement.

Though cases are an exception, I only consider the manual, disks, and inserts to be part of the game, so if I need to replace the jewel case I don't mind doing so. As long as the paper stuff's intact and the disk unscratched I'm fine with it.

Cartridge games have to have their label intact. They can be dirty, written on, and covered in stickers and I don't care. Part of the fun is "rescuing" dirty carts and restoring them to pristine condition. So basically anything removable I don't mind.

Genny and SMS games I like to have complete, so again unless it's rare I want the box and manual.

I like to have boxes for my NES games cause I think they look awesome, but I rarely buy them that way. I just collect the boxes when I can.

Edit: Oh right... Must be an RPG. Otherwise it has to be a game that looks fun or I already know I enjoy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

price and wether if i want it complete or not
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: What are your "rules" for buying a game?

Pretty much go by Calthaer's rules, with the exception of reviews - I like reviews, but they aren't completely necessary :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll read reviews to make sure the game doesn't have a stupid flaw or whatever. Besides, I like reading them. Especially ones that have video of the gameplay. That usually helps a lot.

Also demos. I'll buy a Jampack if it has a game on it I'm leaning towards buying. Even if it's an old one. (I discovered Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper this way. I guess you could blame a Jampack for making me buy a PStwo of my own.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

when it comes to CD based games, I rarely buy incomplete. Most often its games I dont belive I will find any other way. I do this because I dont see any reason why a CD based game should be incomplete. Everything fits in the jewl case for crying out loud! The jewl cases are for the most very small.
    This doesnt apply to PC games though, just console games.

When it comes to cart based games, I perfer complete as well, but I understand how most re-sale shops throw boxs, clam shells, and anything else away. Also, not everyone has a box (shoe, plastic, ruberband, milk crate, anything) to hold things like instructions and such in.