Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me I'm not alone... Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on SNES...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Tell me I'm not alone... Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on SNES...

.... is the best 2D baseball I've ever played!

It's also the only game where I've played full 162 game seasons. It's fast (a game takes about 15 minutes) and fun. There's also a cool name editor where you can put in the names of real players (their real 1993 stats are already there!) Very devious that.

I love the Yankees in that game. Check out the guy on the bench with the bat of 3 and power of 10. I hit 80 homers in a season once with that guy!

The sequel sucked. The original IMHO was the best ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, Baseball Stars 2 is far better, in my opinion, BUT, Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball is indeed a fine baseball game.
    There are useful people... And then, there is...
    The SnappleMan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnappleMan
    Well, Baseball Stars 2 is far better, in my opinion, BUT, Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball is indeed a fine baseball game.
    i have to agree,i would rate baseball stars 2 for the neo-geo ahead of ken griffey,but i just dont think there is a better baseball game then baseball stars 2,in my opinion.but yeah,ken griffey jr.baseball for the snes is a fine game.
    do not buy/get system repair from martin krohn aka iamnotageek.com

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this the baseball game where the baseball players are all buff, and if they strike out, they get really pissed off, and break the bat, or something?

If so, yeah I loved this game too. My friend and I used to play it all the time, when I went to his house.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, they'll break their bat if they strike out or yell "Aw, c'mon!". One thing I noticed about the fake names they game...each team had a theme. One team used names of stars of horror movies, another had names of comic book artists, etc. I also agree that the first one was good but the second (Ken Griffey Jr.'s Winning Run) was pretty bad...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ken Griffey Jr.'s Major League Baseball is an excellent baseball game. I don't believe I've ever played Winning Run, but it doesn't sound like it is as good as the original anyway.
    View My Current Game Collection!! My Complete Collection Page!!

Seeking These NES Games!! Willing To Trade or Sell Some To Me? NES Games I Don't Have!!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rare program Winning Run? If so, I wonder why you didn't have to collect a billion little trinkets on your way to first base?

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    Yes, they'll break their bat if they strike out or yell "Aw, c'mon!"

My favorite is when you swing and they still argue

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I used to think SNES Griffey was great too until I realised that its distances are out of whack. For example: it's almost impossible to score a guy from second with a normal base hit, getting a triple can't be done (against the computer), homeruns account for like 90% of all scoring - and the other 10% is manufactured runs (sac bunt to second, sac bunt to third, pray for a base hit to bat him in), stealing second is either really hard or impossible; I forget which since it's been a loooooong time since I played this game. I stopped playing it for the above reasons. There are more flaws, but I forget them all.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    I used to think SNES Griffey was great too until I realised that its distances are out of whack. For example: it's almost impossible to score a guy from second with a normal base hit, getting a triple can't be done (against the computer), homeruns account for like 90% of all scoring - and the other 10% is manufactured runs (sac bunt to second, sac bunt to third, pray for a base hit to bat him in), stealing second is either really hard or impossible; I forget which since it's been a loooooong time since I played this game. I stopped playing it for the above reasons. There are more flaws, but I forget them all.
    No, it's not perfect, but it's still awesome. True, you can't score from 2nd off a single but most games from that time era you couldn't as well. I did manage to make it home from 2nd on a single, but you have to be aggressive in running the bases.

Stealing 2nd is hard but it does happen.

Heck, I'm currently playing a season with the Yankees right now. The guy who hit 80 homers for me, right now through 76 games, he has 92 RBI's and 34 homers.

Strawberry (Level 2) pixelsnpolygons's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Rare program Winning Run? If so, I wonder why you didn't have to collect a billion little trinkets on your way to first base?
    Ha!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tis' a great game, probably my favorite baseball game to date. Baseball Stars 2 ranks up there as well.
    Currently Playing: Limbo, CoD: MW2
    XBL: Kazaam McFresh

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gone.
    Last edited by Neonsolid; 07-06-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I dont play sports game soften but this was one I always enjoyed playing for the great graphics, music and the gameplay. i didn't like the 2nd one as much, sure it looked more realistic but didn't have the same touch as the first one, that and wasn't Winning Run alot harder too?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, I found it very hard to even get any hits on Winning Run and the computer team seemed to score at will.

Another SNES game I liked was Super Baseball 2020. I liked the whole idea of robots and girls playing baseball...which you hardly see anymore

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i did use to like that game alot back in my snes days, but now that i have baseball stars 2 on neo geo i will never play it again. the only other baseball game i will play besides BB stars 2 is bad news baseball for nes, and mayby base wars or baseball simulator 1000.

baseball stars 2 and bad news baseball are the best baseball games ever!
    Currently looking to trade for Magical Chase any version, and especially Dynastic Hero USA version. I have Samurai Shodown V Special MVS, lots of other MVS titles, and tons of games. Check out my profile over at http://gametz.com/user/greedostick.html if you are looking to get rid of one.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This game rocks. I play this game with a couple friends, we keep every stat imaginable. At bats, hits, runs, homers, rbis, stolen bases, average, wins, losses, era, saves. It's great.

Best average for a season (162 games) was Frank Thomas (.448)
    Highest Batting Average in April - Greg Jeffries (.615)
    Homers - Kevin Maas (88) - this is that yanks guy you're talking about
    RBIs - Kevin maas (210)
    Doubles - Frank Thomas (77)
    Triples - Ron Karkovice (13) - @ this one
    Longest Hitting Streak - Frank Thomas (41)
    Best record - 140-22 w/White Sox
    Although we were definately gonna break that with the cardinals but the season reset and we were 84-4 with them at the time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, didn't expect to see this bumped. I posted it originally in 2004!

Kevin Maas, I'm pretty sure that's him. Told cha he was sick! 88 homers? Nice, I got 80 with him. I hate how they erase the HR total of your highest guy after the All-Star break. That was a glitch...

I kept some stats from way back in the day -- Barry Bonds finished a 162 game season hitting .492!!!!!! We almost got him to .500, but I think my bro had a couple 1-3 games that really hurt us.

Game is simply the best quick-fun arcadey baseball title ever IMO

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remember having a lot of fun with this at my uncle's place. If I have a cart of this, I may just have to fire it up tomorrow.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Griffey is definitely one of the best baseball games done. Like others have pointed out, the timing/distances make it a little unrealistic for fans of the game (a man on 2nd should be able to score most of the time on a base hit to the outfield)

Baseball Stars 2 (neo geo) is an excellent game also. It suffers a bit by the action being too close to the field. It's difficult sometimes figuring out which guy you are going to control and how far fly balls are hit. If they would have zoomed back for such scenes this would have made the game play a lot better.

The best baseball game hands down is Konami's Powerful Power Baseball, version 9 I think I played last for the PS2. This franchise baseball game only came out in Japan so it may be unfamilliar to many of you. They probably have some newer versions by now but that series is king for gameplay and capturing baseball flawlessly in a baseball game. Too difficult for many, but hey.. hitting a round ball with a round bat was never meant to be easy

Next best baseball game is the World Stadium by Namco, again japaneese only. (no idea what number they're up to now). The N64 one was just so-so, the PS1 games were awesome. They changed the pitching controls over different versions so depending on which one suits you the best, you will have a favorite version based on that.

The USA-released baseball games on the leading edge consoles dissappoint year after year. Too interested in capturing close up angles and rendering player's faces to look like the real players, they haven't had anything that plays well in a VERY long time. Most people who buy these games don't seem to mind or notice I guess. They're just happy with the latest rosters and top notch graphics and don't understand that the gameplay sucks.

Looks like I'll have to get a japaneese playstation 3 to keep up with Konami's series. That and Hot Shots Golf 5, which doesn't look to ever be released in the states either. It's the price one has to pay for good gameplay these days.