Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me I'm not alone... Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on SNES...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is the only traditional baseball game I own on any system. It seems like a nice game, but since I'm not really into baseball, I can't get into it and haven't played it much.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, KGJPMLB is my favorite baseball game of all time, and one of my ten favorite games of all time. I also recommend Baseball Advance on the GBA--their respective playing mechanics are very similar. After that I'd probably go with Baseball Stars for the NES.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've definitley gotten more fun over the years out of Griffey the any other baseball game to date. I'm not necessarily saying it's the best, but its provided me more fun then any other baseball game I can think of. Just to bad it didn't have the rights to the actual players' names...although that doesn't matter now.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

I will be so bold as to claim that it is the best mainstream console baseball game, ever.

I also enjoyed Super Bases Loaded and Super Baseball Simulator. Never did get into the Baseball Stars series, though.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one of my favorite baseball games of all time. I really haven't played many others though. I also enjoyed the first one on the N64, kind of felt like the 3D version of the game.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I always though the World Series Baseball games on the Genesis were the best 2D games. While it was really an arcade-based game pretending to be a sim, it did a good job of keeping track of all sorts of useless stats. That and I liked the pitcher/batter view a lot better. Most 2D baseball games used the same type of view and the same pitching format as the RBI Baseball games which I always thought was cheesy and had very little strategy involved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    I always though the World Series Baseball games on the Genesis were the best 2D games. While it was really an arcade-based game pretending to be a sim, it did a good job of keeping track of all sorts of useless stats. That and I liked the pitcher/batter view a lot better. Most 2D baseball games used the same type of view and the same pitching format as the RBI Baseball games which I always thought was cheesy and had very little strategy involved.
    Absolutely agreed. WSB 98 on the genesis is awesome. Speaking of which...

Anyone have a copy they want to sell me?
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

Griffey is definitely my favorite 2D baseball game. I spent more time with that than I did NBA Jam which is my favorite basketball game (NBA street a close second).

SNES Griffey would be a great Virtual Console addition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by riffraff View Post
    Looks like I'll have to get a japaneese playstation 3 to keep up with Konami's series. That and Hot Shots Golf 5, which doesn't look to ever be released in the states either. It's the price one has to pay for good gameplay these days.
    You can get a US PS3 and play 'em just fine since they don't region code PS3 games (woot woot).

My favorite baseball games were, in no particular order, Hardball III (PC), Earl Weaver Baseball (PC) and Baseball Stars (NES). I haven't played any other baseball games nearly as much as those three (with the possible exception of RBI Baseball) and I downright loved the hell out of 'em.

...'specially Earl Weaver. Knocking one over the green monster for the first time was just AWESOME.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

What's the name of Konami's current baseball series on the PS3? And, for those in the know, what does it play like?

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Haven't played a full season of Ken Griffey Baseball in awhile, but last time I did, I made the playoffs with the Orioles. Only thing that I didn't like was a glitch where my stats were kinda erased around mid-season, and the horrible autofielding. Nothing's worse than having a lead, bases loaded w/1 out, the opponent hitting a grounder to your shortstop, and him not converting the double play, instead throwing to home.

Another good baseball game for SNES that I like is Tecmo Super Baseball. I played a ROM of that years ago, and went 127-35 with the Orioles. Rafael Palmeiro hit 70 homers for me that year.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster Sam View Post
    Haven't played a full season of Ken Griffey Baseball in awhile, but last time I did, I made the playoffs with the Orioles. Only thing that I didn't like was a glitch where my stats were kinda erased around mid-season, and the horrible autofielding. Nothing's worse than having a lead, bases loaded w/1 out, the opponent hitting a grounder to your shortstop, and him not converting the double play, instead throwing to home.
    A lot of 16-bit sports games had that problem, as if the makers didn't think someone could accumulate huge stats. One of the World Series Baseball installments on Genesis would reset your home runs and stolen bases if you piled up too many. Guys like Jose Canseco or Frank Thomas could sometimes hit 1-2 homers per game and could easily clear 100 in a virtual season. Someone like Kenny Lofton was able to steal two to three times per game and the computer could never throw him out, so he might clear 160-170 steals. Once upon a time, I remembered what the magic number was before those two stats got reset to zero. So once I got near the number, I would usually have to bench my "power" and "speed" guys for the remainder of the season just so they would still lead the league in those categories and not get reset to zero. No big deal, though. It just meant I was able to pile up stats for my reserves

Unless I was playing the wrong games, there were two constants among 8-bit and 16-bit baseball games. It was really hard to pile up strikeouts in most of them, due to the arcade nature (RBI Baseball and Bases Loaded being a couple of exceptions). That and I always had trouble pitching a shutout in any baseball game on the older platforms. Yeah, I might win by 7-12 runs but the computer would always get 1-4 runs.
    Last edited by bangtango; 05-02-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Bases Loaded 2 and RBI Baseball 3 are fun 2d baseball games too...imo.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 08:05 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) dougman999's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

DefaultGen: if you don't have it already, look for RBI 3 for NES. Every year when the baseball season starts, I restart a season on RBI 3 (I do Tecmo Super Bowl when the football season starts).

It's one of the few games for NES that has real players. No save function though :-( ...if it did, more people would be playing this / hyping it up than the Baseball Stars series.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

I honestly couldn't choose between Griffey Baseball, RBI 3 or the Baseball Stars games. They're all great.

I just noticed that Software Creations, the developer of the first Griffey Baseball, also made the two Gameboy sequels, as well as the GBA version of All-Star Baseball 2003. Has anybody tried these? Are they worth checking out?

Strawberry (Level 2) DragonMaster Sam's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I also have Super Bases Loaded for SNES. Found that at a flea market last summer. Don't like it that well, since there aren't really any real teams or players.

Anybody here have MLBPA Baseball, or am I the only one?

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Was and still is one my favorite sports games to play (I don't play many sports games).
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obviously, we are talking about Arcade type baseball games, and if we are talking about Arcade type baseball, then I would have to agree with many here that Baseball Stars 2 for the Neo-Geo is the absolute shiznit.

But, I think there is a game that alot of people are sleeping on, when it comes to Arcade baseball, and it's only natural why people are sleeping on it, because they never got to play it because NEC didn't bring it to the USA. It's Power League 3 for the PC Engine. That game is freaking pimp to the 5th degree. One of the really cool things about it, is that with a TurboTap, you can actually play with 5 players. YEP, 5 Players at one time!!!! Talk about sweet. If anybody out there has a slight interest in Baseball and has a region modded TG-16, then you gotta check out Power League 3. It also has really cool music.

Baseball Stars 2 for the Neo-Geo is still the best though. Oh, 2020 Super Baseball for Neo-Geo is really good too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

My personal quick rundown of my favorite arcade baseball games in no particular order:

RBI Baseball NES
    Baseball Stars NES
    Baseball Stars 2 Neo Geo
    Bases Loaded NES
    Super Bases Loaded SNES
    World Series Baseball 98 Genesis
    World Series Baseball II Saturn (the last baseball game to use sprites ever I believe on a console)
    World Series Baseball Arcade (has the little flipper to swing, has anyone else mentioned this game yet? It's phenomenal)
    Ken Griffey Jr SNES

It also looks like Gametrailers has posted video for Konami's Pro Baseball Spirits 4 on PS3. Looks great...too bad I don't speak a lick of Japanese.