Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After FIVE YEARS of HATRED, I went back to Mad Catz crying.

Pac-Man (Level 10) atomicthumbs's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default After FIVE YEARS of HATRED, I went back to Mad Catz crying.

Y'know. I normally don't make a habit of buying 3rd party controllers (especially Mad Catz) but I took a risk anyway ($14.99 plus employee discount at Blockbuster).

The Mad Catz RetroCON

Talk about a quality controller! It's very comfortable (a little taller than an NES controller, which is nice for people with larger peni, er, hands). Nifty little rubber grips. Smooth and sleek polished front. Extremely cool LIGHT-UP scheme (different colors and every button lights up, even the logo)! The D-pad is excellent, but the main 4 buttons are a bit high (though does not hinder gameplay in the slightest). The analog sticks are ALMOST PERFECT (the right amount of resistance/springback, though the R3 and L3 clickers call for a bit too much force). The side-by-side shoulder buttons are a bit of a pain, though necessary considering the design of the controller.

Considering I've been hardcore AGAINST MAD CATZ (except for the steering wheels and N64 Force Paks) for the better part of five years (because of a few HORRIBLE experiences with PS and N64 controllers and BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE), it took a leap of faith for me to give them another shot. I've gotta say "Good Work"! It seems like there have been some MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS since I've been away.

Click HERE for more images (MUCH different color scheme than mine) and the IGN review.

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've never had their controllers, but I've had their memory cards for years without any problems. They seem like a good company.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this really a good controller? Everybody kept telling me that the d-pad was real screwy, so I always stayed away from from it. Might pick one up now after reading your review though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Did they have several at Blockbuster? It was new, I take it? I've been looking in stores for one of these for awhile without success. You can pick 'em up on eBay, but the only seller charges $12.95 for shipping, and they can stuff that up their a**.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

@Pete: They're $9.99 new at Circuit City stores

Also, I'll disagree on the dpad, it's mushy and not all that great in my opinion. It's like you push one button, the whole pad goes down, which feels extremely weird whether or not it effects you actual gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Did they have several at Blockbuster? It was new, I take it? I've been looking in stores for one of these for awhile without success. You can pick 'em up on eBay, but the only seller charges $12.95 for shipping, and they can stuff that up their a**.
    Yeah, it was new, but they didn't have it at my Blockbuster. I found it at another store I was covering for the other day and decided to pick it up.

Oh yeah, about that $12.95 for shipping from that guy. The only way I could even understand that is if it was international shipping. If it's domestic, he can definately stuff it up his ass.

As a bit of an alteration from the review, the d-pad response is fine, but it does, in fact, seem to take a bit more umph. It would make a perfect "extra" controller, especially for games that make the most out of the analog sticks (like Katamari Damacy). Now, like the IGN review said, if you play mostly fighting games, I can see where it would be a pain in the butt. So if that's the case, pick up one of the new Capcom Anniversary controllers with the front mounted L1 / R1 buttons (not as nice as the old Capcom fighting controllers for SFC and 3DO, but still fantastic except for the lack of "weight").

"Gamera is really neat --- He is filled with turtle meat --- We all love you Ga-me-ra!"
    - MST3K

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by atomicthumbs
    It would make a perfect "extra" controller, especially for games that make the most out of the analog sticks (like Katamari Damacy).

Actually, I have a pelican wireless controller I bought as an extra controller for Katamari Damacy, and it suffers from the same problem of taking too much strength to press the L3 and R3 buttons, which sucks because you need to use the quick turn a lot. Moral of the story, if at all possible, make sure you can try out the L3 and R3 "clicks" to make sure you like them if you buy an extra controller for KD.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

The Retrocon is great, but I too think the Dpad is a little screwy. There's no traction on it because it is so smooth. Usually Dpads have a little indentation or slant to them to catch your thumb, but this one's pretty flat.

They also look really cool in dark room all lit up different colors.

Anybody hear any word yet on the rumored Xbox Retrocon?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Killemall1057

I had a problem with there 12 page memory card for Playstation, it kept erasing my files .

I have a Gamecube controller made by them, it pretty good. I guess it just depends on the system.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't use the digital pad at all since I can also use the left analog stick in digital mode. It has really imporved my game in the pre-analog shock racing games like Wipeout and Rage Racer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    @Pete: They're $9.99 new at Circuit City stores

Also, I'll disagree on the dpad, it's mushy and not all that great in my opinion. It's like you push one button, the whole pad goes down, which feels extremely weird whether or not it effects you actual gaming.
    Thanks man. I'll look for it this weekend!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What sucks is that these controllers do not work on my xbox convertor. It would be so cool to use this controller with my xbox emulators.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

those look linda cool. I hate the ps2 madcats controllers though.
    Midwest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ECWSandmanECW
    I had a problem with there 12 page memory card for Playstation, it kept erasing my files .
    I don't recall if my multi-page card was a MC one or not, but mine had the same problem. I'm pretty sure I used a single-page MC card years back, but don't recall if it had trouble or not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After about 7 years, my lone Mad Catz (single page) PS mem card is still alive and kickin, and surprisingly one of my official Sony cards has bitten the dust, so Mad Catz's cards can't be all bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

While we're discussing third party accessories, I'd like to piss on Interact's grave if I may. Horrible controller designs, memory cards that weren't even formatted (and couldn't be) and just an all-around cheesy presence. You won't be missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would like to pick up some of those Interact Pro cables...

Not the chickenwire normal ones, but the ones made by Acoustic Research but are labelled as Interact Pro ...

they look like this.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Strange, I swear by my Interact cards. Again, used them for years with no problems. They are even more realiable then Sony's stuff.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    While we're discussing third party accessories, I'd like to piss on Interact's grave if I may. Horrible controller designs, memory cards that weren't even formatted (and couldn't be) and just an all-around cheesy presence. You won't be missed.

I do have one Interact controller that I am especially fond of...

Interact's Piranha Pad. This was the only pad that I used for a couple of years when I first got my Playstation (before the Analog and the Dual Shock came out).

Fantastic controller!!! It's still the only one I use when playing Tomb Raider 1 & 2.

- MST3K

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Interact

In Interact's defence I would say one thing ... Shadowblade PS2 controller. Very. Cool. Heavy duty, long cable that winds up and tucks away inside the controller when not in use, nice feel. One of the best Arcade sticks that I have had the pleasure to use.

Vroomfunkel