Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Official Nintendo NES Thread

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

- What is your favorite game on this system?
    its a tie between Tetris 2 and Dr Mario

- What are some of your other favorites?
    Shingien, Elevator Action, River City Ransom, Krazy Kreatures, Klax, Qix, Burgertime, Bomberman, Paperboy, Q*Bert, Galaga, Gyruss, and Rampage.
    and probably will like some of the Sachen games which I started buying this last CGE.

- What games surprised you? Infuriated you?
    Krazy Kreatures because I never heard of the game until I started collecting for the system and I found the game to be fun and addicting.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?
    Yes, it was at my cousin's house. He was playing Super Mario Bros.
    I took one look at the game and was terrified of that game. I suck at games like that.

- Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    nope. I bought mine in the mid 1990's.

- How many games do you have for it?
    725+ unique games and about 200-300 extras. I have limited space for my collection so its hard for me keep track of 18 game systems I have now.

- Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    none that I can think of now.
    N.E.S - 700+
    Genesis - 300+
    PS1 - 500+
    Dreamcast - 100+
    Atari 2600 - 100
    3DO - 100
    Sega CD - 100
    SNES - 100
    others - 1000

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My Fav Nes Game Wud Have to Be Blaster Master hands down....in a far 2nd place wud be tmnt 2 which in my opinion was the most visually appealing nes game

i got my first nes when i was 3 yrs old.....and the first game i saw was smb1/duckhunt of course because thats how it came in 88 when i got mine

too this day i currently own 562 nes games all catalogued although i dont really collect them

stories? hmmmmm... well one time i played smb1 for 17 hours straight and got thumb blisters so bad i cudnt play nes again for a week.......the controller is the only flaw with that system i can think of

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What is your favorite game on this system?

This is tough, but i bought a game at my neighbor's garage sale, Mike Tyson's Punchout, I'd never heard of it and must have played it for months with some other neighbors, obviously i was quite young, probably somewhere around 1994 or so......

What are some of your other favorites?

since then i've introduced myself to super dodge ball and crash and the boys(its a shame the other crash and the boys game never made it), contra, the SMB series was always a good one, and as a young kid i was always in love with the game pinball, every time i was at the video store i would just stare at it.......i rarely rented it too......i think it had something more to do with the graphics on the box, and when i rented it i was so disappointed, but the box looks cool

What games surprised you? Infuriated you?

I finally played metroid, usually i sway away from the crowd so when everybody i knew loved metroid i was determined not to play it, and so i never did until late 02, and let me tell you how disappointed i was, maybe i just didn't get into it enough but it just bothered me, maybe its one of those games that you have to have a history with before you love it, not bashing people for liking it either, i can see it as desirable but......not for me

Infuriated?

any/all Camerica games, they look really awesome, they're kind of neat, but talk about tricky games, and i just started playing them recently, and dont spend much time on them

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

the Xmas right after we got one, i don't even really remember getting it for xmas......but we sure did and the first game i saw in action was duck hunt, my dad was playing with all my uncles, they proceded to play the system until me and my brother liked it, then they wanted nothing to do with it >

Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?

yes, i owned about 100 games until i was about 10, put them away, sold them when i was 14, or a great majority of them, the horrible games, about 75 of them went and a system but i kept about 25 games and a system with the power pad, and didn't decided i needed to get this stuff back out until just before christmas this past year, when i upped my collection

How many games do you have for it?
    somewhere around 150-200 complete, the rest of them up to 275 games are just loose, and about 130 sealed

Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?

yes, do you know how many times i beat SMB 3 and got froze outside the door, do you know how much that troubles a 6 yr olds soul? it might have been because i used game genie, but nonetheless, the game was not finished and it took me about 4 times to get in the door and actually conquer the game, and i messed it up many times after that........it was SMB 3 so you cant just beat it once when you are that age, its more like, when you cant remember a day gone by without beating it, then you can retire it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do best not to play favorites, but if I were a gambling man, I'd put my money on River City Ransom. Hands down. I can (and have) play this game all day with friends and never truly be tired of it.

- What are some of your favorites?

The Ninja Gaiden games, Super Mario games, Mega Man games, Chip N Dale's Rescue Rangers, 3D World Runner, Mappy Land, Adventures of Lolo, TMNT3, etc.

Again, River City Ransom. Even now, there's so little to really compare to that game (excluding Downtown Special). I remember renting it for the first time because the back of the box had some neat pictures of the game. Boy, am I glad I picked it up. I've barely been able to put it down since. I still find myself amazed at some of the things you can do in that game. I think every genre has an "IT" game. Barring any further ventures into the beat-em-up, IMO it's safe to say that RCR will remain supreme among it's peers.

As for infuriating, definitely the Castlevania and Mega Man games.

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action? What game was it? What was your reaction?

Sure, I was 3 or 4 (can't remember which). The first time I even heard about it was at a Curtis Mathes that was right next my brother's optometrist's office. I've always been somewhat of a fan of window browsing, if only to build up an imagination of what it would be like have these things. He had just finished getting a check-up and we were headed home, but my brother and I begged my mom to let us go see if they had anything new. Of course she couldn't resist us. Upon entering, the first thing that caught my eye was this HUGE tv (well, huge at the time was probably like 27" or so) that looked like it was playing some kind of game. It wasn't the television we were after. As fate would have it, it was surely Super Mario Bros that we had stumbled upon. So naturally, we sat there...and gawked.

I'm not too sure about where the world went during that time, but it didn't matter. I'm guessing my mom was around looking at videos or something because I think we were there for awhile. Eventually, the time came when we would be dragged away from the screen, drooling and dreaming. Not without a fight. We begged our mom to ask the sales guy about it...what it was and how much. After a little discussion, we walked out with our heads down. It was too expensive. At the time, we didn't have very much money. In fact, my mom couldn't get a job at the time, so we were on welfare and lived in the upstairs room of my granny's house. We even slept in the same bed. It's not that we weren't happy or content though...we just had a new obssession in our lives to contend with now. Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be much hope. Thankfully, the guy kinda knew the situation we were in and pretty much invited us to come by any time we were "in the neighborhood". We lived down the street. You figure it out.

(Actually, one of my frequent returns there also turned out to be my first experience with the 1-Up cheat in SMB.)

Okay, jumping ahead to that Christmas. We now had a number of experiences with the NES already, but it still didn't feel the same because it wasn't "ours". Christmas Day came and we were hopeful but not expecting. After going through present after present, no NES was in sight. Then, my family came out with a BIG present that was for both us. There it was...the NES Action Set. It turned out my mom told my uncle about it, and he had been paying it off through layaway. Thank goodness for good ol' layaway! I can't even remember how long we played with it, but I'm pretty sure I slept with controller in hand. I didn't have a lot to base Christmas off of given my early age, so that was definitely memorable. Unfortunately, I had to sell most of my systems in order to get the next. It was a cycle.

Don't hurt me or anything, but I mostly rely on roms for older systems now. This not because I don't have the money or anything, but I simply don't have that much room for everything. It's just much more conveinent for me. I'm not a collector anyway, so it's not like I have thousands of roms sitting on my computer either. I do have a few carts lying around, but no system though. :/

A few. Not too sure where they are.

Oh, too many. More memories than stories though. Some great NES memories off the top of my head:

- The Super Mario 3 commercial. Nothing got me more hyped up about that game than hearing hundreds of people shouting "MARIO! MARIO!", and seeing them all form a huge Mario logo that encompassed the Earth. Good stuff indeed.

- Every time a new issue of Nintendo Power would come in. I couldn't wait to come home from school to find them laying on the table!

- Trading games with other people at school. This was pretty much mandatory, as not everybody could afford a lot of games. If you had a NES, you better trade up.

- Going to this mom-and-pop rental place called Top Gun. The people that worked there might as well have been family. I was there at LEAST every week after school. Whenever a new game came in, I was always on the list to get it first. Ahh, I can still smell the newly laminated manuals...

- The Wizard. I loved that movie back then. Dunno about now. I'm sure it's terrible by standards, but if I like it I like it.

- My class would have these sort of Read-a-Thon-type dealies, and everyone that read a certain amount of books would be given a certificate for one of those little personal pizzas at Pizza Hut. Needless to say, I read a LOT of books. I loved going after school with my mom to pick it up because while we waited, I'd entertain myself with the Play Choice machine they had. Mmm...pizza and games.

- The NES was the system that built up my love just for TALKING about games.

- I remember my brother getting super mad at me every time I would "accidentally" hit him while playing beat-em-ups.
    peeking. looking. watching. staring.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I donīt know if i really have a favorite game, because there are a lot of good games, but there is a game that i played a lot of times and hours...Adventure Island III.

- What are some of your favorites?

Obviously Mario series, TMNT series, Adventure island series & other games like Mappy, Wrecking crew, Excite bike, Arkanoid & Contra series.

I remember the first games i played (In a NES clone in a friendīs house) were: Super Mario Bros., 1942, Adventure Island III & Donkey kong III, i donīt know why, but this games really impact me and i have nice memories. As for inguriating, i think Wrecking crew (yes, donīt ask why)

Yeah, i played Galaxian and i think it was the better game in the world, i had 6 years old, also, i remember that in my friendīs house it was a girlfriend that i like very much, so i was nervous and i loose in the first level

I donīt have this system, but i have carts

A few, i donīt know, but not very much.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Oh man, the NES -- still my all time favorite system.

I had a Atari 2600 as a young kid, but never played the system much. I played it on and off for around five years, and when I got my Commodore 128 for Christmas of 84 it was that system that got most of my time. Still, seeing comericals for the NES in 1987 and hearing about the system for the last year and a half I mentioned it to my folks a couple times. I never actually ASKED for it, mind you -- just said it looked good. I was surprised at Christmas of that year to find a gift that was marked open last. Well, more opening, and there was a NES. I was quite happy. I was only 11 at the time but I could defnetily understand the fun nature of it all. The other gift was Top Gun and Pinball -- the only other games, my Mom said, they could find in the stores! Top Gun was a nice game (VERY hard) and of course SMB kept me busy.

My birthday is Feb 26th, so it was'nt very long before I got a light gun and Hogan's Ally. Great game. For Easter I got Zelda -- oh man, what a game! (Playing Wind Waker right now really brings back the memories.)

Later on that year my Mom surprised me. She managed a video store then, for a few years, and her boss decided to have the store start renting games. This was shortly after Blockbuster had won it's law suit aganist Nintendo and knew they could do it. My Mom asked me for advice on what to buy. For years I used Nintendo Power, my friends, and rentals from other stores to advise her on buying NES games for the store. They finally switched over to SNES and Genesis in the summer of 1992. I had the SNES but not the Genesis so someone else in the store took over for the Genesis.

Let me tell you, this was a godsend! Being able to get my hands on brand new games, for free, and hold on to them for several days up to a week. The popular games I could'nt hold on to for long, but at least it let me decide what to ask for. Some of the unpopular games I could hold on to for weeks. I could also ask her to bring homes games for me for a 'rental', free of course. It was incentive for me to keep my grades good and my nose clean, and my folks never bothered me on my game playing as long as I did other things and kept my grades up.

Other found memories -- going to the Nintendo World's Championships in 1990, all night gaming sessions with friends, trying to get some of the games to work in the early 90's as my NES started to get older, and trying to make sure I always hit RESET to save the game on those batteries! I also would record some games and watch them later so I could show off or learn how to do things better.

I got a SNES for Christmas of 1991, but I also continued to use my NES (and my C128, for that matter) until I went off to college in September 1994. Both systems were pretty much gone by that point (I think Dragon Warrior IV was my last rental). I swaped my NES and the games (I probaly had about 40 at the end) to a friend in return for other stuff.

Today I usually play my favorites on the emulator, or for the games that have been released on Game Boy systems. I paid for a adapater and bought a second type NES Controller from Nintendo for a more realsitic gaming experience. (Those controllers are so much better then the original!)

I have a ton more memories, but need to keep this note readable.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For old times sake, I'm gonna have to say Ninja Turtles.
    Punch-Out, Double Dragon games, SMB 1 & 3.
    - What games surprised you?
    Tecmo Super Bowl, to this day its still the only sports game I like.
    - Infuriated you?
    Rampage, I kept on thinking I was going to get somewhere. I played for hours, nothing new happened.
    It was at my uncles house. They let me play duckhunt. The dog annoyed me. I begged my dad for one, to no avail. I mostly wanted one to play TMNT, cuz i was a huge fan.
    I did not, I picked one up about 3 years ago to nurse my childhood. I finally got what I always wanted.
    About 40, all found in the wild. I'm not collecting.
    I have found mountains of NES stuff in thw wild. My trade pile it huge. I was looking anywhere for video game related stuff last summer, which included asking all of my friends if they had anything laying in a garage somewhere. I asked the girl I know, she said she had an old NES "zapper" at her house. I asked if I could have it. She said she normally would have given it to me, but that it wasnt hers, and that I didnt want it anyways. When I asked why, she told me that it was her sisters boyfriends. The boyfriend was living with them. Apparently the zapper had been used in an inappropriate part of the female anatomy, thanks to the boyfriend. I very quikly passed on taking the zapper.
    -crispy
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by liab1228
    and probably will like some of the Sachen games which I started buying this last CGE.
    I HAVE INFECTED YOU WITH THE SACHEN.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

fav- RYGAR
    other favs- soloman's key, impossible mission II, baseball stars, kickle cubicle, tecmo bowl, tyson's punch out, vegas dream
    most frustrating game- Zelda (just can't get into it)
    moment- i can remember when i first beat Ligar (rygar), i had been playing it night and day until i figured out the points thing. i got this spot where i think the germans come out and you can go back and forth to make a lot of them appear. kept doing that until my points maxed out. anyway went on to defeat Ligar. ran out the house, and down the hill to my friends house (left the ending on) and ranted and raved about it. to this day my brother says he beat it first.
    total game count- not sure but definately over 100, and getting more by the week

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've probably spent more time with the first Bases Loaded than any other game. I've played through multiple seasons, keeping my own stats on paper.

I still love to go back and beat Rygar. Punch Out, although I've still never beat Tyson, I suck! And I always loved Shadowgate and Deja Vu.

I think I had Mega Man for a year or two before I realized that you could use the boss' weapons after you beat them. Really opened the game up.

I was a die hard 2600 fan. I scoffed at the NES when it came out. My main sticking point was the controller,... how were you supposed to play on a system that didn't even have a proper joystick? That opinion died the second I first played SMB. My friend and I were convinced that each time we found a secret that we must have been the first people to do so.

Yes and yes. The connector is really worn out on the one I have now though. I could really use a top loader. My original system and most of my games are at my mother's house.

Only 34, right now.

I remember a snow day when my friend and I had some money to burn. Since his mom wouldn't take us, we walked a mile or two in a foot of snow to the local K-Mart, just to see what they had. Pickings were slim, but we wanted a new game, so we ended up gambling on Trojan. Oddly enough, we weren't disappointed.

I remember when the only advice on games I had was Ed Semrad's video game reviews in the green pages of the Milwaukee Journal. I bought Deadly Towers on the strength of his review. Although it later found itself as #1 in Seanbaby's 20 Worst NES Games of all Time, I enjoyed it back then.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would have to be the Legend of Zelda. This is the first and only game I've played for 24+ hours straight.

Super Mario Bros., Rygar, and Gum Shoe. I'm one of the people who actually beat Gum Shoe and I can remember my hand hurting badly from it.

Kid Niki - I loved this game but never beat the damned thing! Grr! Definately Ghosts and Goblins the &*^@@^#% game! And Chubby Cherub.. what the hell was that game designer taking?

I can't remember the first time I saw it in action, but I fondly remember playing Super Mario Bros. in the arcade.

Yep I got it as an xmas present when it came out. I was 12 in 1986. I got the whole robot set and 4-5 black boxed games. It is a fond memory. I ended up selling it a few years later for PC parts. I didn't own a console again until the Dreamcast came out. Then I started buying up classic systems and since the NES was my favorite I've gotten really into it. I'm a seious collector now and want to own every game made.

I have around 400 games right now. Some of my favorites are Bubble Bobble 2, Dragon Warrioir 1-3, and a Caltron 6-in-1. Still looking for Stadium Events and NWC gold

I sold my original system through a classified ad. The family that bought it came to my home and had a toddler that actually peed on my carpeting!! I guess I had a smelly reminder of selling my childhood toys.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I don't have any clear cut NES favorites, I do like a wide variety of games. It's hard to pick just 1 favorite because there are so many quality games on the system.

I remember when my dad brought a NES home. First game that was packed and the first one we played(my brother and I) was Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/Track and Field.

I still love the NES..owning 3 systems and 44 games. None of the sytems work though(toaster model) so I'll have to replace the connectors very soon.

I love the NES. There are still about 10-20 games out there that I enjoyed as a kid, yet do not own right now. I have mostly the rarer stuff like the American Video releases(I have 3) and 3 different unlicensed Tengen carts(black cart). I'm going to focus only on games that I enjoyed as a kid when it comes to getting more NES games.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ah, the beloved NES.

What is your favorite game on this system?
    Tie between Metroid and Zelda. Metroid was my first game...didn't know what to expect, then...the rest is history.

What are some of your other favorites?
    -All of the games I have now: Kid Icarus, Rygar, Metal Gear, Double Dragon II and III, RIVER CITY RANSOM!!, Castlevania III, Bionic Commando, Zanac, Zelda II, Blaster Master, plus Gauntlet, Punch Out!!, SMB 2, Mega Man

What games surprised you?
    -River City Ransom. A friend of mine lived blocks away from a local rental store (sadly Shamrock is no more.., ), and had this, he said, "we HAVE to play this!!" Holy FUN. Got it again recently after having forgotten about it for a decade. Sheer genius. Sad a 16-bit sequel never came to the U.S. Would have been AWESOME on SNES. RCR was sadly overlooked at the time. Truly original.
    -Metal Gear. It was hyped in Nintendo Power and sounded cool, turned out to be a really innovative game. Metal Gear Solid 2? Never heard of it.

Infuriated you?
    -Ninja Gaiden. Cool game, but CHEAP ASS. I don't care to have it now.
    -Rush n' Attack. See above.
    -Batman. See above > Good graphics and music, though. Hmmm...maybe it would be cool play again...
    -TMNT--ridiculously hard.
    -Ghost n' Goblins on this and any system---GRRRR!!! DIE FU#$ER!!!

Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    -A friend had it--he always seemed to get the cool stuff first...a little spoiled...GI Joe, etc. He had Zelda and SMB. It was winter 1987. I can still remember that. We'd play SMB, go do his paper route, come back out of the cold, get hot choc, play more SMB. Everytime I play it (All Stars) I think of that. We were so addicted...it was SO hard, we HAD to get further.

And Zelda...of course I knew of it from the commercials with the insane twitchy big-haired dude yelling "ZELDA!!" and "Oktoraks!! Tek-Tites!! PEA-HATS!!!" I remember thinking, "what's with this guy?" Y'see, I was 12 at the time, hadn't played our Colecovision with Atari 2600 adaptor in a few years, suddenly was wowed by the NES... 1987-89 the NES was HUGE in my junior high school! I remember people even called the cartridges "tapes". Man, everybody talked about it...well, maybe mostly dorks...a select elite knew about the Genesis and waited...

Did you own the system "back in the day"?
    Yep!! Convinced my mom to help me buy it in 1987--I think I payed half of the control deck and Metroid separately (which was at least $30 at Best Buy!! )
    As I bought the games myself, and they were $$$$, I only had a few--Zelda II (that was over $40 when released--holy merciful crap!), Bionic Commando (a bionic arm? I'm SO there), Gauntlet, Zanac, Metroid. It wasn't in good shape by the time I sold it to get a Genesis in 1990. Of course I still have the 'ol Genny.

How about now?
    Very recently I bought a refurbished NES--those new 72-pin connectors are a dream come true--and all my faves. Found a webpage that showed how to open up a controller and clean it. WOW they're nasty.
    After the SNES I didn't get into any new systems, and strangely I haven't really played any modern games since the arcade version of MACE: the Dark Age. I think I really prefer the 16-bit era. But I have the most fondness for the NES. The games look a bit crusty now, but still are just plain FUN! I've seen people say a lot that games were more challenging then--I really believe that. Atari 2600 and NES games were challenging and kept you coming back for more. And the games were so simple! Modern game designers could learn a lot...
    Plus it just reminds me of those years. Nostalgia's a funny thing.

Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    -Nothing really exciting...I got so pissed at Gauntlet that I threw it...never worked after that!!
    Oh yeah...an older friend of ours (she was a senior in high school) was playing Rygar and getting pissed at the green bat-things in the forest, cursing them, saying "I'll kill you you little fu$@ers... > " My dad was coming upstairs when she said that, and he quietly went back downstairs...ah, memories of violence.
    When I bought the "control deck", it came with the Nintendo Player's Guide...man, I paged through that thing so much pages fell out. I wish they didn't have every single map to Metroid, made it too easy...without a map, Metroid's much more fun. That ratty Player's Guide was still in parents' house until they moved 5 years ago...oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I bought my first nes back in 85. My favorite games for the system was Alpha Mission, Iron Tank, and Tiger heli. If I had those games again, i would buy another system just for those games alone....Ohyeah, i almost forgot about Graduis...love that shit!!!!!!!!!!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Champion
    What games surprised you?
    -Metal Gear. It was hyped in Nintendo Power and sounded cool, turned out to be a really innovative game. Metal Gear Solid 2? Never heard of it.
    I love Metal Gear, but I've only played the original version on MSX2.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very hard one to choose from!!!
    I guess my favorite is Battletoads, cause played this one so addicted that finished before the guys from any videogame mag.

Ninja Gaiden series,
    Castlevania series,
    Super Mario series,
    Mega Man series,
    Gyruss (!!!),
    Double Dragon series,
    and at least a hundred others....
    Hey! This list is too great!!!!

- What games surprised you?

Battletoads (fantastic challenge, great music, giant bosses, is this 8-bit???)
    PinBot (I never understood what the Bot says!!!)
    Super Mario Bros 2 (what the hell this one had with the original???)
    Rad Racer (when I was pissed off trashing the controller the end sequence appeared... coolio!!!)

- Infuriated you?

8 Eyes
    And one piece of shit that I can't remember the name of. Its about a damn slow and tiny spaceship that is easily exploded by anything. Took 2 hours to go into the second screen - not the second level.

Yeah! It was back in 88, I was a youngster crying to my fathers: "I want my Odyssey!!" - I had sold the machine with 12+ carts, including "Clay Pigeon" (what a mess!!!)...
    The first NES a saw was a Famicom in the house of a Jap friend of mine.
    Super Mario Bros was running, and I thought: "fuck the odyssey! I want this piece of shit!!!"

Obviously!
    I have 2 NES and 2 clones.

100+

A lot, but no time to tell.... sorry!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's hard to just pick one, but I'll say Destiny of an Emperor.

Legend of Zelda, Final Fantasy, Star Tropics, Tiles of Fate, Double Dragon, Double Dragon II, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario 3, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, River City Ransom, Ice Hockey, Kirby's Adventure...

Some of the stages in Battletoads pissed me off. Holy christ... I could never beat that game ... Double Dragon III pissed me off, too. I had trouble just finishing the first stage on it.

I remember seeing it firsthand at a friends house. He had Super Mario Bros. and I think a Donkey Kong game of some sort. But yeah.... we ended up playing Super Mario all night. Yeah, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread...

Yeah, I had one back then and still have it.

I probably have about 50 or so games for it. I had more, but I got rid of a bunch years back. I kind of regret that now, since I got rid of about 100 or so of them for next to nothing...

Many, but I don't have much time to say at the moment. [/i]

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Oh, how I love this system.

-What is your favorite game for this system?
    That's a toss-up: Kirby's Adventure and Super Mario Bros. 3. Both are I feel the pinacles of their genre.

-What are some of your other favorites?
    Legend of Zelda, Kickle Cubicle, Adventures of LoLo, and Mega Man 2.

-What games surprised you/infuriated you?
    Surprised me was how cool Kickle Cubicle was. Infuriated me was when I got home and started playing Deadly Towers. How I loathe that game...

-Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    When it first was plugged in at my house. I was about 2 at the time, it was a Chritmas present for my sister and she let me play it with her. I was Luigi.

-Did you own the system "back in the day"? How about now?
    I had it back in the day, and I still have that first NES. It stopped working probably about two years ago, and now I have three: the broken one, one not working right, and one that works.

-How many games do you have for it?
    229 at last count.

-Any stories surrounding the system that you can share with us?
    When we first got the NES in my house, I would play it for so long, my parents would have to pry me off of it to do ANYTHING. I would just sit and play it, sort of an electronic babysitter. My sister would come home with her boyfriends and just watch me for a while, I'd be playing SMB or something like that. Good times...

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Almost 800 games...I'll have to grab one out of a hat and say: Blaster Master. I got a lot of mileage out of this one as a kid, exploring the whole subterranean world. I actually really liked Golgo 13 too.

Bionic Commando was really innovative. Punch-Out is still a classic. I've played just about all of them and there are more that I like than dislike.

Orb-3D surprised me. I thought it was a kids game and it turned into a nifty variation of Pong. The "sex scene" in Golgo 13 was pretty surprising. The first time I was told about getting to the minus world in Super Mario Brothers and then pulling it off after trying all night was pretty awesome. The last stage in Ninja Gaiden really pissed me off. Fighting the final boss in Ironsword is downright frustrating. Figuring out what the hell to do in Overlord is depressing.

I was at a friend's house and he had just gotten Castlevania and Ghosts N Goblins. I didn't want my mom to get me an NES at the time because we were hurting financially, but good ol' mom surprised me pretty good with the NES package, complete with R.O.B.

I've been playing straight since around 1986 (or perhaps early 1987). I consider myself perhaps the most diehard NES player in existence. This sounds kinda sad, but I have yet to play a game for a system newer than the original Playstation. Actually, I do have a Gameboy Advance. I am still plowing through NES games and hope to reach my goal of finishing/playing through every US-released NES game sometime in the next couple of years. 29 games left, but they are doozies.

I have quite a few, but I don't really collect them. I did for awhile, but have sold games on eBay sporadically to make a few bucks. I am guilty of actually buying games on eBay just to get the manual so I can make it through the game. Sardius' manual archive has saved me quite a few bucks

Heh. I kept a game on pause for about 3 days when I had to go away for a weekend. It was actually still paused when I came home!!

I don't really like the game Predator, despite public opinion.

I played through the first 3 levels of Ikari Warriors and had the game on my "Games Beaten" list for 3 years before I discovered that you had to throw a grenade at the corner of a desk to access the hidden staircase to Level 4. I actually had Fist of the North Star on there for a year or so before I read that you had to play through the game WITHOUT CONTINUING to play the final level.

I've written several Walkthroughs for some of the lesser known NES games (has anyone here even played Legend of Prince Valiant?). You can find them at gamefaqs. Super Pitfall seems to be the most popular.

That's about it.
    American NES games left to beat: 3
    Last 3 NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire
    (Updated: 7/21/10)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Official Nintendo NES Thread

It'd have to be The Legend of Zelda. Just the sheer joy of exploration from bombing holes in rocks and burning bushes to discover hidden secrets makes for a simply enjoyable experience.

Hopefully I can keep this semi-short :

Megaman 2 - Sure this may have been the first step on the way to many hundreds of sequels/updates/remakes for various systems over the past 15 years -- but, it contradicts the old adage of the sequel not living up to the original.

Contra - Granted I never finished the game without the trusted, timeless, and trademark Konami Code(tm) but still even with the code the game presented quite a challenge with hordes of aliens and whatnot to blast through.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Because any 'best of' list of NES games would not be complete without at least one Mario title. Do I even need to explain further why I have this on my list?

Dragon Warrior - Even though I'd later graduate on to Square's Final Fantasy series, this is where I got my start with fantasy RPG's...

Surprised: Probably the original Super Mario Bros. I'll never forget the first time I saw the game on the NES, it was amazing...

Infuriated: Ikari Warriors II: Victoly Road - I don't know; the whole game was just frustrating as &*%& arrrrgh! (Granted it did have some cool weapons, like the boomerangs and the sword.... then again so did Zelda )

- Do you remember the first time you saw the system in action?
    What game was it? What was your reaction?

Wow that was so long ago I don't think so... my earliest memories are of the early stuff (Urban Champion, Mario Bros., Gyromite, Duck Hunt) back when the system first came out.

Again that was so long ago though I know we did... I have one now but I think it needs a new AC adapter or something

- Excitebike
    - Rad Racer
    - Metal Gear
    - SMB/Duck Hunt/Track Meet
    - Legend of Zelda
    - Adventure of Link
    - Super C
    - Metroid
    - Kid Icarus
    - Hoops
    - Golf
    - Bases Loaded
    - TMNT
    - Dragon Power
    - Ninja Gaiden
    - Super Mario Bros. 3

There was the time a few years ago where I finally finished the Legend of Zelda after so many years of playing it...

DT