Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Collecting: Complete only or loose?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Collecting: Complete only or loose?

I was just reading these forums and in particular the Collecting Milestone thread.

I have *just* started on my collection (only 5 games old!) but have already decided to buy complete games only (media, instructions & box), as apposed to loose games.

For me, loose games are not only worthless in resale (if it ever came to that) but to me it would feel that it was not complete. Its all well and good getting to 1000 games in a collection, but if half of them are media only I would feel that I am breaking the collection code of conduct, and not having a "valid" collection.

Is it just me?
    Regards
    Simon
    Retro Revival
    www.retrorevival.co.uk

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Depends on the system. For some, getting complete games is really how most of them will still be sold. That's usually anything disc based. Anything cartridge based quite often will be found as much loose as complete, if not more so.

In the 8-bit realm, I usually go for complete, but if it's rare, I'll take it loose. Anything newer (SNES, N64 etc) then it's complete only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Collecting: Complete only or loose?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRevival
    Is it just me?
    Nope.
    There's all types of collectors here, even some of those crazy souls who just want sealed games
    Personally, SMS/MD/MegaCD/32X/Sat/DC games have to be complete (or at the very least boxed), but I have no qualms about buying loose carts for most other systems if either a) it's cheap enough or b) I'm desperate for a copy to play.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

your really don't want to limit yourself, im a perfectonist, i love having complete games,but im also a realist and theres just some games you won't be able to find, or be able to find without a hefty price tag, the best thing to do is if you see a game you want loose grab it, because you can always post on here , there is usually someone who has a empty case or instructions, or if you find another complete copy in the future pick it up and sell the loose one. 3/4 of my genny collection is complete, mint condition but i still have a good 150-200 loose carts laying around which eventually i will find boxes and instructions for
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CD-games have to be complete but I'll accept loose carts.
    Gives you something to play while waiting a cheap complete one or, what would be the best, find an orphan box and manual through this awesome site.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I myself like complete games, i'd rather get it complete then cart only, if a game is really hard to get i'd settle for cart only for the time being, at last i'd like to get it complete.Sealed is not a must, if i find a sealed game for cheap i'll buy it, but not if it's insanely high priced,i'd rather just get it complete.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Oui

Like he said... it depends on the console

For me...

Any CD games must be complete

All N64 games must be complete

Genesis games depend on the game

SNES loose is totally fine

SMS must be complete

NES loose is totally fine

pre-NES anything can be loose

Cheers

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I usually go for both. If I find something I want loose and get the box and manual, if I have to, later on. Or if I find something complee I do my best to get it then.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If im browsing ebay i probably wont bid unless its complete, but if its in the wild ill usually settle for box+cart if its a good or uncommon game. Cart only is a last resort and only for rare/good/really cheap games.

Not that many loose Mega Drive games around here anyway, so that saves me a lot of trouble

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's all about the money, if the price is right ill buy loose carts also. CD games must have box though.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You'll find that you will "rewrite" your stipulations as far as collecting goes.

I live in a small city, and I've done remarkably well as far as completes go, for the access that I have. I like my Genny stuff to be complete, but I'm not that much of an avid Genny collector. NES? I don't collect it, so loose is okay and it's how most of it appears in the wild. N64 is what I do collect and I insisted on completes in the past....but there are a few games that I'm seeing everywhere as loose carts, but nowhere as completes. I think that I'll pick up those loose carts, and look for completes as they show. My main goal is to own a complete library....my secondary goal would be to have them as completes.

Same with Dreamcast. For my disc systems.....ALL discs must be mint, no scuffs or scratches. However, nearly every damned Dreamcast disc that I'm seeing in the wild has been roughly treated....so my Dreamcast collection will be the only one that HAS scratched discs in it, out of pure necessity.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Going for complete games only is an obsessive habit that I'd rather not pick up. :P

As others have said, it varies. For one, a lot of American packaging isn't even worth collecting what with black and white manuals and ugly boxes/cases. On the flip side, that's the reason why I have to have my Japanese imports, with few exceptions, complete. The packaging is just so nice.

If get into the details of my collection, I only have manuals and boxes for a handful of my NES and Genesis games (I just never find anything but carts in the wild), and the percentage is only slightly higher for my SNES games (since I saved all the manuals for the games I bought new). I have manuals for most of my Game Boy games, but not many boxes; all but one of my NGPC games are loose. Most of my N64 games have boxes, but less have manuals. I somewhat make a point to get them complete, but I won't pass up a good deal on a cart. I do make a point to get all my PlayStation games complete, but I won't turn down loose discs for free, dirt cheap, or in a big lot of other stuff I'm buying. I'm pretty sure that all my Sega CD and Dreamcast games are complete, and so is almost all my current generation stuff.

It all comes down to value. I keep in mind the value of a game both complete and loose, and if it's a good deal, I buy it.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's not just you. I'm one of those "crazy" collectors who only wants sealed games myself, but that's only because 99% of my collection was all bought sealed back in the day, so it's just a matter of maintaining the extremely mint condition of my collection as thoroughly as possible throughout it all for me. But there are some games that I know I'll never find still sealed anymore, so in those cases I'm willing to buy them mint complete, just so I can get them.

In your case though, I would follow the advice of the majority here and get loose carts whenever you can get them for cheap, even if you already have them, because you can always use them for trade bait or sell them for cash when you need it. That's one thing that I wish I had in my collection right now, a ton of extras, because I need alot of money really bad right now, but I don't have any extras, so I have nothing to sell that I'm willing to part with!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If its a disc based system I need complete if its cartridge im not as picky but id rather have complete then loose.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I need my carts not only boxed, but in a good condition box. CD games need to be complete of course. I only plan on having collections of the "great titles" for older cart systems (I'm going to set up a MAME/Emulation box on a SFF computer) so it's no problem to get the few games I want complete.

If you collect 64, I would do what Qixmaster did and buy some lots of "broken down" boxes (the folded down, unused boxes). N64 boxes are often in rough shape in the wild, and complete games command a decent premium. It's much cheaper and easier to get the broken down boxes, and the condition is better too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me, it depends on the type of game. I have all kinds of loose 2600, Coleco, and NES games, and those don't bother me. But all of my N64 games have to be complete.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

If I can get the box, I'd take it, but otherwise, I'd settle for the cartridge. Of course, most of my collection USED to be complete, but then a rather large chunk of my boxes "disappeared" when I moved seven years ago. Still kinda upset about that.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say, it's not neccesarry to have them complete, but if the price is right, I will take complete. My entire Genesis collection is complete, and I've got everything, but I've been collecting Genesis sience it came out, so that's a different story. When starting out, I'd accept anything you can get your hands on, then gradually work your way up to boxed and complete games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i get everything complete unless i really, really want the game or i get it for free.

i have general chaos for genesis loose, and some random crappy n64 games loose.

2600 games i don't even try to get complete, all of them are loose.

when i buy games now, i try to get them complete based on the system.

anything cd based i will only get complete, i try to get everything complete minus 2600.

i never try to get sealed, just because i play every game i own, even if it is just to test it

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was all about loose games when I first started collecting. Then I had more of an urge to buy games complete. Now I pretty much only buy complete. It has cut my collection in half of what it should be though. Kind of depressing. I wisah I collected loose so I didn't spend so much on one game.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text