Thread: Tetris S for Saturn

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Tetris S for Saturn

I just won an auction for this, but I have a question about it. Was there ever a regular release of it, or is it only available with the Saturn Collection cover? (the one with the red spine card & the white border around the cover art) I'm just wondering because I know that most of the games in that series are re-releases, but I've never seen this game with a regular cover, so I'm not sure if it ever existed in regular form or not. If it did, it must be rare as hell! Most people don't even know this game exists, and it's not even listed in the DP online rarity guide either, or at least I wasn't able to find it, so I'm curious.

BTW, for those who don't know, this game isn't the same thing as Tetris Plus, and it was only released in Japan, so I'm not talking about Tetris Plus. This game is supposed to be just like regular Tetris, so it doesn't have that funny little guy in the pith helmet and the safari outfit running around in it. It has a monkey in it instead, but he doesn't do anything but entertain you. I don't know much else about it yet until it gets here, but if you're familiar with it, I'd really like to know what it's like, because I only found one page that had a review of it, and it didn't even have any screenshots with it.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Heh heh heh. Was my review the one you caught? It probably was.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/satu...ew/R52792.html

Well, to begin with let me state I love -- LOVE Tetris S. It's old school Tetris on Saturn, with a good two player mode thrown in for good measure!

I played Tetris Plus and that was an embarrassment. Tetris S does the name proud.

To answer your original question, YES, there was a regular release. I love the cover of the original release. The re-released one looks ugly with that white border. The pure blue-ness of the original is so simple and puuurty.

Anyway, the game is all that matters. I think you'll enjoy it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, that's the review that sold me on it alright! So I still have to try and track down a copy of the regular release then, huh? That really sucks! Normally I wouln't buy one of the re-issues like this, but I haven't been able to find it at all for a long time, so I figured that I'd better grab it while I still could and just hope that I can replace it with the regular version of it later!

Anyhow, that's really cool that the review I read for it was written by a DP member! And you're right, there are no other reviews of it out there that I know of either, so I'm looking forward to finding out what it's like myself! The little monkey sounds cool! And this will be the perfect companion to the Columns Arcade Collection that I got recently too, so I can hardly wait for it!

P.S.: You're not the guy that I bought it from, are you? His ebay handle is steve666b!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon
    P.S.: You're not the guy that I bought it from, are you? His ebay handle is steve666b!
    heh heh nope. I would never sell Tetris S away.

(I heard of that seller before though, he sells a lot of Saturn stuff. He is a European seller IIRC)

Have fun with the game, and be sure to revive this thread with your thoughts on it as soon as you get a chance to play through the game a bit... I'm curious if I'm the only one who really enjoyed Tetris S.

As for the original cover, I'd pass on it if I were you (then again, maybe you're collector, so then if I were you, I would probably buy it again, heh heh)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, I just had to ask. What is it with Tetris S and guys named Steve/Steven?

The seller is from the UK, and he gets alot of very hard to find imports. Most of his games are all used, but he gets alot of very hard to find sealed imports from time to time also. I got a sealed Power Drift for Saturn from him a few months ago, so I've dealt with him before, and I'm sure that I will again too.

I don't think I'm gonna worry very much about replacing this one with the original relase, but if I ever get a chance to do so, then I probably will. But I dunno if I'll ever get a chance to do that or not, because it would have to be sealed, and the reissue doesn't even seem to turn up sealed very often.

I'll post my own review of it in Import Mania as soon as I get it and I get a chance to play it. That's where I post all my reviews of my import games as I get them. The last one that I posted was for the Columns Arcade Collection, so this will be a nice follow up to that review. I'm sure I'll love this one too.

I totally agree with you about Tetris Plus. It's a great game, and I enjoy it alot, but it never should've been the only form of Tetris ever released on the Saturn here in the US. It should've included Tetris S on the same disk, or they should've translated it and released it here too. We got ripped off.

BTW, great job on your review of it! It really helped alot to talk me into it!

Get BIT!