Thread: Video game time...... Similar to dog years?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Video game time...... Similar to dog years?

The topic that I bring forth today, is the one of "time". Precisely, Video Game "time".

WTF?

Well, basically, what I'm talking about is that I feel that a year in the video game world is much, much longer than just a normal calender year. This has alot to do with the technology that is involved in video games. With new systems appearing every several years, with advancements in graphics and sounds, it seems as though video game years are much longer than one might think.

For example.

Take the Nintendo 64. This system was released late September 1996 in the United States. Right now, it's November 2004. So it's really only been 8 years since the release of the N64, and in the great scheme of things, 8 years isn't a very long period of time. But when it comes to video game time, I feel like 8 years is a very long time. Maybe an even better example would be the Sega 32X. This attatchment came out about 10 years ago, give or take a few weeks.

So it's been about 10 years since the 32X was first on store shelves. Normally, 10 years isn't that long of a period of time. But the 32X seems rather ancient if you try to play it today.

So basically, I'm just saying that I believe that video game time is different from regular time, and I was wondering if other people here agree with me.

I mean, 10 years ago, the music that I was listening too, really isn't that different than the music that I'm listening to now. But the video games are like night and freaking day.

Typically, every 5 years a major new video game system is released, and although 5 years really isn't that long of a period of time, in video game time I think it's more like a decade.

What do you guys think?

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Be thankful your reflection on the lifespans of electronics didnt include computers.

"6 months old? Get rid of that paperweight!"

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's true, the shelf life of console games is the same as the shelf life of a new computer. Anything more than 6 months old still on the shelf, better grab it while you still can, or spend a lifetime searching for it on ebay. I dunno why the videogame market can't be like the music market and continue to make every game ever made since the beginning of videogame history, but for some unknown reason they don't think there's any interest in "old" titles. Personally, I think we'd all be much better off if videogames were printed on demand, and the price you paid for them was directly related to how long it had been available. The longer you wait, the more it's gonna cost you, with no regard to whether it's in demand or not. Just charge more for printing up the old games, and everybody's happy, because nothing is impossible to find. And who cares if that would kill all the rarities in our collections? I sure don't. I'd much rather be able to get every single game I want new and sealed anytime I happen to have the money for it than to constantly search for it!
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never thought about it before, but I'd have to say that I agree with you. Games do seem to have a short lifespan, but if you think about them in technical terms they do seem old only years after their initial release. Probably because electronics advance so fast.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

they do unfortunately, because id rather be buying brand new genny, or sms and atari games over the crap this generation
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com