Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW NES 72 pin manufacturer *input wanted*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NEW NES 72 pin manufacturer *input wanted*

Ok. Yesterday, I received the second run of manufacturing for SJ's new 72 pin connectors. I've tested 10 of the batch of 40 so far.

These pins do not hold the cart in a death grip like the Ebay/MCM connectors do, but they are not ZIFfy either. A bit tighter than original NES, but a child can still easily remove Tengen carts and the like.

The connectors were tested with more than 15 carts each, including Tengen, Camerica, and Licensed Nintendo catridges, plus the NTF2 diagnostic cartridge. This includes less then perfectly clean carts, but nothing truly filthy or anything.

Of the 10:

6 worked flawlessly, first try, each cart.

3 more seemed DOA, with flashing screen, but repeated testing and insertions, they began to work. After a good 15-or 20 insertions, no more flashing. I went back and re-tried every cart again, TWICE, in random order. The 3 pins then worked, and continued to work flawlessly with every cart.

1 pin had vertical lines up and down the screen. Nothing seemed to alleviate this problem, all carts.

I've told this to SJ. They want me to test more (I will), but they are keen on sending this revision to manufacturing. Perhaps with a label on each stating that a break in period may occasionally be necessary.

Here is where I'm looking for input. personally, I'd prefer utter perfection, but after seeing some revisions here, I'm beginning to think that may not be possible. These pins are pretty good, and as an installer, I think I can work with them.

What do you guys/gals think? Pull no punches. I can refurb old pins, and may continue that to some degree, but these will be a big time saver. Some of you may want to be able to re-sell either as pins alone, or in NES's. Either way, you will be the kind of customers these pins will be going to.

Sound off!
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Cherry (Level 1) eightbitonline's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if you test more and see that a break-in period is truly a common occurance, i'm comfortable with a break-in period if it results in a "flawless" connection afterwards, and especially if that's noted on the connector somewhere. 9 out of 10 doesn't seem bad at all! that one with the lines seems like it has a bigger problem that likely isn't inherent in the design and will be corrected before manufacturing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would be fine with a bit more insertion force if it was due to increased contact area. Is that the reason, or is it just an issue with tolerances?

1/10 seems like a pretty high failure rate. I'd like to see the results of all 40 test connectors.

What is the targeted MSRP for these new, improved pins?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In large lots (1000+), I'm guessing around $4.50USD per. In more reasonable amounts (lots of 10 plus), I'm guessing $6.00USD.

Testing these is time consuming. :/

In regards to contact area, I *think* it's larger. A lot of these pins work with every cart, even when not snapped down.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as the time consuption goes, I hear ya, Referbing the old 72's that came with the NES in the first place I always find to be the best as time consuming as it is. I have tried out all or at least most of the "NEW and IMPROVED" 72's over the last couple of years and to be honest THEY ALL SUCK. I referb nintendo's almost everyday and I will continue to use the originals as I have only came arcoss 2 systems that coupld not have the original 72's life restored back to a 1985 like state. Thats not bad seeing as I have fixed at least 200 nintendo systems (seriously I have). And if I buy a brand new 72 that needs just as much work to get going as it would if you where fixing up a "used" one. Then I would rather keep the money that would be spent on the new 72 and just bite the bullet and do what I do, Just fix the old one up. Whats the point in buying 1000 of these things if only 8 or even 9 hundered of them are gonna work? I veiw that as being ripped off for a couple hundered 72's myself. If you have to put a few ours in to a machine at least with using the old adaptor you don't have to pay $4.50 to find out you have to screw around with the 72 for an hour. 4 or 5 out a hundred can be wrote off as defectives but 4 or 5 out of ten is just not feasable or for that matter worth the money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just noting that I read this, but not sure what to say. I cleaned a bunch of carts and tried them on my last working NES (since I broke the other's connector last week), and got about 30 out of 40 to work first try. This sucks. I want them all to work the first time, every time. Just like when I first got the system. :/ It's the original connector also..though the one I didn't sand and break.

Does anyone have a NEW Nintendo-made connector that someone could cough up as a test subject for making the new ones? Too bad someone couldn't get Nintendo to give schematics..given they probably don't manufacture the parts anymore, and even the official website says to buy parts used or at flea markets...

From what you have said, and the idea of pins loosening up... Would they then become TOO LOOSE, TOO QUICK?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally would not mind having a "break in period" for a pin connector. I test each of the connectors I referb with 15-30 games, so a break in period would not bother me one bit, since I am testing that much anyway.

I do not like the MCM electronics connectors that much because they hold the connectors too tight. If these are easy to pull in and out, I'll buy some. I have about NESes that have no connectors in them right now due to broken pins.

Are these the people that are located within Canada? I can see myself buying even more pins from them since I wouldn't have to deal with cross boarder shipping, and customs. And if they were to produce the security bits also, I would be extremly happy.
    ~Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LSS:
    And if I buy a brand new 72 that needs just as much work to get going as it would if you where fixing up a "used" one. Then I would rather keep the money that would be spent on the new 72 and just bite the bullet and do what I do, Just fix the old one up.
    I disagree that 15 or so insertions is the same as the old pin refurb in labour, but i will agree that even 1 in 10 fail rate is a bit high for me.

I have installers calling me to sell them pins on a regular basis. I *can't* sell refurbed old pins that way. Installers want cheap per unit, and refurbed pins take too long to do all the work and then testing them, to sell them for a few buck a piece, and If I did, I'd end up with a big pile of pinless donor NES's.

There is a need for working new connectors, but who needs them, and why, for how much, are all open. Which is why I'm after input like the above.

Thanks! Keep it coming!

Simple Jet is a Canadian based wholesaler of third party cables, controllers and accessories. They have no stores, but sell to Microplay, Blockbuster, Rogers, and independent game and video stores. AFAIK, their main North American wholesale ship point is here in Edmonton. I buy from them wholesale, like other businesses do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More testing!

I tested another 10 pins. here are the total results from the 20:

13 worked 100%, right out of the bag, first try, every cart.

6 required 'breaking in'. breaking in for some meant 20 insertions (with lock down). For others, it meant 3 or 4 insertions (didn't work very first or second try).

1 dud, with vertical lines across the screen, garbled graphics.

Better than my results with the MCM connectors. I think I can work with these, as sellable pins. they may not replace refurbing pins altigether, but seem a good alternative.

Interesting detial. Almost all of them work not locked down, just as well as they did locked down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Once the ones that need it are "broken in" do they work perfectly after that? If you come back to it 48 hours later will it work first try? I currently have 9 toaster NES's, and they all work perfectly on every single insertion. However, most of them came from places like VV and needed extensive cleaning to rescusitate them. I'd say about half of them had to be "broken in", as they wouldn't work on the first 5 or so tries even after a good cleaning.

I personally like a 100% ZIF connection, and I think there is no perfect substitute for an original refurbed connector. However this seems like a question of best quality vs time/convenience. Also, a prospective customer needs to know that toaster NES's need to be cleaned regularly even after you sell them a refurbed/new pin system. Of all the consoles in the history of video games, nowhere is this more important than the NES.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

before I started testing the second trial of 10 today, I went back to the first ten. I'd kept notes, and numbered each pin. I re-tested two of the pins that required breaking in prior to working.

They both worked flawlessly, from first to last try, with all of the 15 carts. Perfect, after sitting for 24 hours.

I just hope they hold up for long term use. No quick test for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, these things are sounding pretty good. i'm excited because i wouldn't have to import them (go canada!). that one in the first batch of ten that had all the lines on the screen is starting to seem like more of a fluke the more omnedon tests. i'd definitley be willing to go with these if the shipped price stayed under $10. i've been wanting to start moving some of my stack of NES's, but with a 2-year old daughter i'd rarely be able to sell an NES because of the time involved in refurbing the pin. a switch-out for a connector i could trust would be an ideal situation. the price point however, is very important!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shipping in Canada is the problem. I can ship one connector to an American for a few bucks. One pin to you eightbit costs about $7.25. They are of course too thick for the 20mm slot CP uses.

But purchased in lots, of say, 10, the ship is pretty much the same, and that $7 in ship can be spread amongst the pins.

When I'm done my reg repairs today, I'll spend another 90 minutes testing another 10... *sigh*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah, i'd definitley order 10 or more at a time.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Would these new pin connectors have a plastic backing behind the upper set of pins by chance? That sort of support would ensure the pins never bend out of shape and if that was the case I'd buy one for sure.

I suppose I have to ask more directly, also, what is it about these newly manufactured pins that make them different from what's currently out there?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The MCM/Ebay ones hold carts in a DEATH GRIP, and have a 1 in 4 fail rate with the NTF2 diagnostic cartridge, in my tests.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'plastic backing'.

These pins look identical to MCM/Ebay and Nintendo connectors. No Death Grip though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You said that these new connectors fail, but have a break in period.

Do the MCM made ones have the same problem...would they break in also, and later work?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope. When they would not work with the NTF2, they stay not working. I still have at least 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

okay. thanks

i am interested in these either way...given two are on the brink of death and one is utterly gutted due to my own fault...and obviously, anything is better than that one.

if you end up selling these, are you going to test them beforehand or ...?

i'd probably want 6 of them (since i have 3 toaster NESs...2 for each).

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    The MCM/Ebay ones hold carts in a DEATH GRIP, and have a 1 in 4 fail rate with the NTF2 diagnostic cartridge, in my tests.
    I'm not sure why the NTF2 cart will show a problem while others will not.

From a technical stand point (after experimenting with mine and reproducing many other carts) the NTF2 is nothing but a standard cart. In fact, there should be many carts on the market that will fail while the NTF2 passes (because there are pins that are not connected on the NTF2 but are on other carts).

A good example of a cart that's loaded to the max is SMB3. It uses a lot more pins than the NTF2 (because it uses more output address lines 256k NTFS vs 2048k SMB3!).

It could be that you just have an NTF2 cart with very sensitive (i.e. thin) PCB.

Apart from that, it doesn't do anything above and beyond a standard cart (i.e. no special added hardware or traces).