Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DS quality control issues... check this out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default DS quality control issues... check this out.

I saw this post over at the www.neo-geo.com forum in which I frequent... It looks significant because one owner seems to mention something about quality control issues... in which his DS (later model) has shaddy quality in relation to some other early model DS. x_x

This post is quoted from "resoglas" over at www.neo-geo.com (very nice site if you own a neogeo )

MAJOR DS PRODUCTION PROBLEMS!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys, I preordered my DS like the rest of you. Well, I had 6 of my friends over at my house for a DS launch party and everyone noticed that my DS was different from theirs...

As some of you may know, Nintendo couldn't meet the requirment of over 2 Million DS preorders so they opened a new manufacturing house in China to meet consumer demand. All of my friend's DS' were in the 1 million serial number range, where my serial number was in the 7 millions.
    Their are many quality problems with my DS that they did not have. I will list them all off, and will make it clear to you if you got a real DS, or the cheaper-to-manufacture, lower quality DS systems. Please don't delete this thread guys, you if anybody should understand that this is a very big problem that Nintendo should resolve for their loyal preordering customers.

Original manufacture DS identification:
    All the embossed words in the plastic on the back of your DS is very prominent due to the original mold that the plastic was injected into. Your serial number font will not be as bold as the cheaper revision. Your serial number sticker is very clear to read under direct light. The L & R triggers do not make a spring like sound when you release them. The silver paint job on the top of the unit is done with better quality paint, the paint feels less rough when you rub the back of your finger against it for direct comparison versus the cheaper revision. If you have an original, the D-Pad is much more stiff while the later version is slightly loose to the touch. On your original your DS will come with a stylus that has the Nintendo oval logo followed by an injection #, where as the cheaper version has no injection logo. The actual black plastic on the back of the unit is much darker than the second version. The original version's clock at the menu screen has a slightly different sound for the second hand's ticking and the volume is a bit louder. The original version has slightly concaved start/select buttons as well. And last, the screen appears to "slightly" display Black and gray colors much darker and smooth than the latter.

I must say that it is a huge shame that Nintendo has already ruined over half their products by the launch date. Since they could not meet the proper manufacturing demands on 2 million DS units, you presumibly do not have a quality unit unless it is under that number. Please check your new DS units and make sure you let Nintendo know that WE KNOW. If you have the second revision, I'm very sorry to be the one who had to inform you that your new handheld console is much worse than 2,000,000 units produced that other people own. Shame on you Nintendo, NO ONE WANTS TO OWN AN INFERIOR PRODUCT WHEN THEY PAID FULL PRICE FOR IT.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing that is questionable is that Nintendo opened this third manufacturing plant, but it wasn't going to open in time to help with the launch demand. From how the stories worded it, the new factory would add a kick in production numbers in late December...

If this is an isolated incident, I wonder if he somehow managed to get a proto system or something. I would think that if he returned it, he could get a different one.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My DS is in the 7 millions serial number range. the unit was made in china. I've got the stylys with no number. The should buttons dont make sounds though and the outside cover seems smooth enough. But I have not compared it to another DS.

Should I be pissed?

I'm kinda surprised that my serial number is so high when I bought ON launch day.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe the Chinese have pirated the DS already.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kai123
    Maybe the Chinese have pirated the DS already.
    Or maybe there just is a difference between the two factories that were running.

Hardware revisions happen all the time. I have a whole slew of different looking and feeling Jaguar controllers, the Saturn had revisions, the Xbox has had what - 9 nine? and so on. It is extremely odd that there would be a revision like this so early in the game.

My other thought could be that Nintendo manufactered some units earlier to send out with the demo units, and then Nintendo revised things. These extra ones could be "demo unit" revisions, which would be much rarer in the future, although not likely to be worth any more money.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Either way, I don't have dead pixels, and that was what I was worried about.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Odd, my serial number is in the 10 millions, even though it meets the criteria of a model-one. What is a dead pixel anyway?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

and coming from a manufacturing background, I can tell you that the hundreds if not thousands of individual molds used to make most of these parts will have their own characteristics. Yes they are CNC machined and produced and checked but there are still small differences that will affect the final product. With 3 factories up and running, I'm sure there are changes nearly everyday.
    Keep It Stinky, Baby

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

The ones that Mayhem and I have are in the ten millions as well but were also made in China. The pad and buttons are stiff, and the shoulder buttons don't have a "spring" sound. The serial font is pretty bold though. However, the stylus does have the Nintendo logo embossed on it.

In other words, WTF? :/

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My d-pad isn't stiff at all, and my l and r have "boing".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good god, this just gets worse and worse. If even some units are bad production models from a plant in China, this could easily become a player's (nevermind collector's) nightmare. I think Nintendo is slowly killing off my enthusiasm for the DS...but I'll wait for a proper game to show up before I make any final decision :O

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've already seen a small amount of returns for DS's with burnt pixels.
    (essentially where there's a dot on the screen that won't go away)
    So there are a few out there. Be careful.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My DS is NU10144575[5]

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mine is in the 7 millions... here is the only thing that I have noticed with it which slightly bothers me...

when placed down on a countertop, open or closed - doesnt matter, one of the little 'legs' must be shorter b/c the unit will slightly shift back and forth shifting weight if I push it one way or another. While this isnt a majow problem, it could become annoying if I played the unit while sitting on a table or countertop.

Honestly, I would love to have a unit that was made in Japan, but my model seems totally fine from the land of China.

(happy thanksgiving)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Some specs of mine:
    -D-pad is VERY loose
    -L and R make a clicky noise when pressed
    -Stylus only has Nintendo logo on one part

So... I take it that I have the Chinese-made one? It has 2 dead pixels anyways, so I'll be getting a new one from Nintendo anyways. Oh, and the fact that the back label says "Made in China" is giving me the literal impression.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, I'm very confused here...basically Nintendo tried to make more systems so more people can own one and not get angry. During this process very minor changes occured between the original model and this revised one. The result is that this in no way effects gameplay and no one would really notice whats going on except for people who have to find some reason to hate Nintendo.

Yeah, I say we LET NINTENDO KNOW THAT NO ONE WANTS TO OWN AN INFERIOR PRODUCT WHEN THEY PAID FULL PRICE FOR IT.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Wait, I'm very confused here...basically Nintendo tried to make more systems so more people can own one and not get angry. During this process very minor changes occured between the original model and this revised one. The result is that this in no way effects gameplay and no one would really notice whats going on except for people who have to find some reason to hate Nintendo.

Yeah, I say we LET NINTENDO KNOW THAT NO ONE WANTS TO OWN AN INFERIOR PRODUCT WHEN THEY PAID FULL PRICE FOR IT.

word.

plus all the units are made in china as far as i know, all they did was open an EXTRA factory.

mine is in the 10- million serial code, doenst have any of those so called mishaps mentioned before and is made in china./ just like all teh gba SPs by the way/.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to agree - Except for dead pixels, all other complaints seem to be a little pedantic. Nintendo have produced and continue to produce MILLIONS of these wee things. You cannot expect every one to be absolutely perfect - it's just not reasonable to spend $150 on a piece of hardware and expect perfection. I think some folk should just lighten up a bit...

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Default Re: DS quality control issues... check this out.

Quote Originally Posted by CAR25
    The original version's clock at the menu screen has a slightly different sound for the second hand's ticking and the volume is a bit louder.

OMFG B0YC0TT!!!!!11

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by XxMe2NiKxX
    My d-pad isn't stiff at all, and my l and r have "boing".
    Am I the only one that found this UNGOLDY funny!