Thread: Black Friday is over, what was hot, and what was not?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Black Friday is over, what was hot, and what was not?

I know that there are many on this site that work in the battlefields. Those who had to bear the blunt of human pain....putting up with Black Friday. I would love to hear from all those who work in gaming retail to chime in on what was hot, and what was not for Black Friday. So from your factual observations of people buying stuff at your retail locations, what had a good day?
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In all my years in retail, black friday has never been terrible... mainly because I always close. So everyone's gone by then.

But yesterday, the hot ticket was the two shitty free games Kmart was giving away with GBA's. All gone within 30 minutes of opening.

And that's about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is funny how this is also the day that hippies have designated "Buy Nothing Day".
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While this isn't for everything that was on sale...

I was really surprised to see that Best Buy had a LOT of their discounted stuff that had the little disclaimers (Such as "At least 5 per store") on their ads. Granted, I got a vacuum cleaner this way - not a "sought after gift" and saw a few cheap computers and games (GTA Double Pack was the biggest surprise to see there in limited quantites).

I was also floored to see Target offering rain checks for most of their really good deals. I got there at about 7:30pm, and I was able to get a rain check for the Simpsons Season 4 DVD. I could've also picked them up for a few other things, including one of the ESPN 2K5 games for $13.88 and some other stuff. I've _never_ seen that before.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I continue to be amazed at the number of people who will show up at JCPenney at 5:00 AM for a free snowglobe.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

at best buy, we were swamped intill about 7pm, every ps2 , and xbox were gone...but we barely had any to start with.....they had a MASSIVE stack of the mario kart DD gcn bundles...those flew off shelves....160 gig hard drives for 30 bucks...those flew...99 dollar ati 9600 xt video cards...lota stuff mostly video games and computer stuff
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS2. Has been for weeks. When they come in, they're gone within an hour.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad I discovered TRU's sale before BF. I got Beyond Good & Evil and Soul Calibur 2 for PS2 at $5 each on Wednesday. Not that I didn't have 'em on the other systems, but it gave me a reason to finally blow that dust off the PS2.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kai
    I continue to be amazed at the number of people who will show up at JCPenney at 5:00 AM for a free snowglobe.

but don't you know, snowglobes are COLLECTIBLE!!!

at my store (fye) we had 350 capacity wood cd shelf things... $5 after mail in rebate. those went pretty quick. also sold out out of DS's (only had like 10 though...) sold out of XBOX's. didn't sell out of PS2's. those three systems we're only selling in bundles (ps2 and xb with your choice of $49.99 game and controller, DS with 2 $29.99 DS or GBA games) and you get a mail in rebate ($25 for PS2, $30 for XB, $10 for DS). the bundle is still a pretty good deal, but it's a bit of a harder sell than just the system alone... i hear we're the only place in the area that still has PS2's though.
    My Website | #VBender | Last.fm
    Part of the #vbender crew
    [21:39] <Ze_ro> Perkar: Put "Official #vbender Slut" in your sig.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had quite a few people ask me about a new U2 CD. (which I don't listen to.) We also sold out our PS2s and got rid of quite a few books.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    they had a MASSIVE stack of the mario kart DD gcn bundles...those flew off shelves....
    You know, I haven't been able to find this bundle at all, until I ran into it yesterday at a KayBee. They were selling it with a "starter pack" thing that included another controller and a memory card and some other stuff included for free.

That was really tempting. I haven't seen the package anywhere else though. Looks like Nintendo really put together a winning holiday package.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Algol
    I had quite a few people ask me about a new U2 CD.
    "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I don't work in retail, but at every store I went to, I heard at least (sometimes more than 1) person ask about those plug 'n' play systems, and all of the stores were sold out. I was out shopping around 10:00.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goatdan
    Quote Originally Posted by EnemyZero
    they had a MASSIVE stack of the mario kart DD gcn bundles...those flew off shelves....
    You know, I haven't been able to find this bundle at all, until I ran into it yesterday at a KayBee. They were selling it with a "starter pack" thing that included another controller and a memory card and some other stuff included for free.

That was really tempting. I haven't seen the package anywhere else though. Looks like Nintendo really put together a winning holiday package.
    Is all that extra stuff Nintendo brand or third party extras? I am pretty sure I saw the ad and if I remember right it was thrid party stuff.
    I bought the GC-MarioKart bundle at KayBee for my sister for Christmas. This bundle only came with one controller though. Not the bundle with 2 of them. Can't find that bundle anywhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't work in retail, but I was at a Gamestop yesterday after work and while I was in there at least 5 people asked if they had any new PS2s, and everyone who asked was told that they sold out on Friday.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.