Thread: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3

I was at the flea market today and saw some kids at a booth playing this. I was really impressed with the graphics, and after they left I got to play the game for about ten minutes.

Like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Dragonball Z just lends itself to cell shading. The game looks really, really good. The fighting system seemed overly simple (maybe there's a more advanced mode?). one button punched, another kicked, and another just seemed to continually shoot fireballs. It didn't seem that tough to stand around and blow people away with fireballs all day long. The X button blocked. R1/R2 seemed to do different attacks depending on how far away you were from your enemy. One of the L buttons did some sort of power up.

There was also a big adventure mode, where you fly around the country side, looking for fights and people to talk to and stuff. It was pretty fun. After you beat people you get what look like Yu-gi-oh cards with different abilities and such.

This isn't an in depth review by any means, as I only got to spend a few minutes with the game, but from what I saw, this looks to be pretty cool!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am a bid fan of the Budokai series, I cant wait for it to come out on my beloved Gamecube.
    "Do you find me sadistic?" - BILL

Collection and want list
    http://65.61.168.22/Collection/gamec...erid=link21580

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jezt
    I am a bid fan of the Budokai series, I cant wait for it to come out on my beloved Gamecube.
    The GameCube got the first Budokai, and is getting DBZ: Sagas, but almost certainly won't be getting Budokai 2 or (the excellent) Budokai 3.

-- Z.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Always been a fan of the series, it IS much more complicated than it first seems, a bit too complicated for me, trying to remember that a combination of ANY of the 2 different buttons on the controller does something different, and ALL combos have a forward+attack in them, instead of a standard fighitrng move.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    The GameCube got the first Budokai, and is getting DBZ: Sagas, but almost certainly won't be getting Budokai 2 or (the excellent) Budokai 3.

-- Z.
    And then, I see today, in the DP Wire:
    Gamecube - Dec. 14 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 Atari $29.99
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel

-- Z.
    And then, I see today, in the DP Wire:
    Gamecube - Dec. 14 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 2 Atari $29.99
    Well, there ya have it. Thanks for the update. (A year between the PS2 and GameCube versions is pretty extreme. Wonder if they'll do the same with Budokai 3.)

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    ... trying to remember that a combination of ANY of the 2 different buttons on the controller does something different, and ALL combos have a forward+attack in them, instead of a standard fighitrng move.
    Heh, I didn't even know that. I did notice that for a "3D" fighter, I had almost no control over my 3D movements. In other words, I could move closer and further from my opponents, no problem, but never could figure out "left and right" from the character's point of view. Maybe there's a sidestep button I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i think there is a sidestep button in the first one. ill have to pop in budakai in a few minutes..............by far an outstanding fighter, i find it simple to get down all the combos but some of the fights are very tough. The limited edition of budakai 3 is VERY tempting.