Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buyers are becoming quick with the negs, aren't they?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Buyers are becoming quick with the negs, aren't they?

Damn, been eBaying with no problems for years now. Had a spotless 1,000+ FB rating - until this year. It seems like just recently, I'm getting a lot of buyers who are leaving negs and neutrals over silly sh!t, without even ONCE dropping me a line with their concerns/problems. I'm easy with the refunds, but it's like they open the box, see some minor point of contention, and can't get to the eBay website fast enough to neg my account.

Luckily, it'd take a ton of negs before my account drops below 99.5%, but I'm really starting to rethink my "Leave positive FB as soon as payment arrives" position. I'm tired of getting burned without the threat of a neg coming back into their laps. (And most of them have 10 or less FB, so that neg from me would kill 'em a lot faster than they would me.) I've been replying to their negs, so buyers can see WHY the neg was left, but it looks like I'm making excuses when it's really just the idiocy of the n00bz. ("This boardgame has a split box lid - just as spelled out in the ad - but I'm STILL not happy about it! x_x )

Dammit, this is starting to piss me off.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's a good point - I've definitely noticed this as well and have to say that as a buyer I'm a lot quicker to leave negs now (not that I do it very often). Just been jerked around too many times, fuse is getting shorter. Imagine it's the same for others.

As a seller, I've started withholding feedback until its received from the buyer. Sucks but you have to protect yourself.. I think both of these trends are here to stay.. I guess it's only natural that ebay has become more cutthroat with the # of scammers out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As a seller, I never leave feedback until I have received feedback. This policy has two main benefits:

Encourages buyers to actually leave feedback. Even with this policy, maybe half the buyers end up leaving feedback.

Makes them think twice about leaving hasty negatives.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, as long as you are up front with your policies, the people can't complain because they agreed to the terms.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anexanhume
    Yeah, as long as you are up front with your policies, the people can't complain because they agreed to the terms.
    Ah, but they can. And they do. That's the maddening part. Gah.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i have never sold on eBay. i am a eBay buyer. I always check the description twice on the auction if something i got isn't what i expected. then, i e-mail the person to try and resolve it.

i have only left at the most maybe 3 or 4 negs, the rest of the auctions that annoy me get nuetrals.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zing
    As a seller, I never leave feedback until I have received feedback. This policy has two main benefits:

Encourages buyers to actually leave feedback. Even with this policy, maybe half the buyers end up leaving feedback.

That's my policy as well. Of course, I've only left one negative, and that's to a buyer who paid for none of his items from ANYONE. I've left a neutral foolishly, without contacting the seller, something that I have learned not to do. I do a lot of communication now. As a seller, I describe everything as accurate as possible to ensure the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that some of us see how easy it is to get a quick negative from an unreasonable buyer do you think that it possible now to reconsider condemation of people like Adol who have a few negatives to go with their hundreds or thousands of positives?

The pot shouldn't call the kettle black you know.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

you can't just blame buyers either.
    I do sell and buy on eBay a lot and lately I got couple of auctions where the seller shipped items by sea! otherwise how would you explain almost 3 months delivery time from UK to Australia?

Anyway I won another Xbox game from US seller and paid promptly. Having received none for next week or so I asked the seller what's going on and next I know the seller filed unpaid item with eBay?? WTF? Doesn't the seller even check his Paypal account?

Anyway I left negative feedback right away and that certainly got his attention so he sorted out with eBay and supposedly shipped the item soon... well either way I'm going to claim the refund from Paypal anyway... don't care whether the seller ship the item or not now I'm pissed...

so there are as many bad sellers as bad buyers...

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Buyers are becoming quick with the negs, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Damn, been eBaying with no problems for years now. Had a spotless 1,000+ FB rating - until this year. It seems like just recently, I'm getting a lot of buyers who are leaving negs and neutrals over silly sh!t, without even ONCE dropping me a line with their concerns/problems. I'm easy with the refunds, but it's like they open the box, see some minor point of contention, and can't get to the eBay website fast enough to neg my account.

Luckily, it'd take a ton of negs before my account drops below 99.5%, but I'm really starting to rethink my "Leave positive FB as soon as payment arrives" position. I'm tired of getting burned without the threat of a neg coming back into their laps. (And most of them have 10 or less FB, so that neg from me would kill 'em a lot faster than they would me.) I've been replying to their negs, so buyers can see WHY the neg was left, but it looks like I'm making excuses when it's really just the idiocy of the n00bz. ("This boardgame has a split box lid - just as spelled out in the ad - but I'm STILL not happy about it! x_x )

Dammit, this is starting to piss me off.
    Fortunately you do have some recourse, mutual feedback withdrawal; however that only works if you haven't already left positive feedback for the buyer. If there is only one reason not to leave the buyer positive feedback until he/she first leaves you feedback, it is this reason.

I just had a transaction where I was the buyer and the seller left me negative feedback after payment wasn't sent in 5 days after the auction ended, because "he needed the money" even though the auction didn't state when payment was due. I of course in turn left him negative feedback, and then requested mutual fb withdrawal, and voila, it worked.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I know what you mean, I've got a bunch of neutral/negatives this year that I would have either refunded or replaced if they took the SAME AMOUNT OF EFFORT and E-mailed me!

I actually just got a neutral because a seller recieved his item PERFECTLY FINE but felt that my packaging was subpar. Hmmm, I packaged the DVD the SAME WAY I've packed 200+ other DVD's without complaint. Actually, a lot of feedback praises the way I package my DVD's.

Then I sell an NES game, that was tested, and I suppose the buyer doesn't know how to clean his NES because a week later I get a "OMG THIS GAME DOESNT WORK BAD SELLER" Negative Feedback. Never ONCE did I get an e-mail asking for a refund, which I would have given....but not after my feedback is ruined.

I once got a Neg for trying to negotiate shipping from a guy who wanted 6.00 just to ship a 32X cart.

I don't know, eBay is getting annoying, but I'll still use it. I just gotta take more precautions to not get these unnecessary negs.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the other thing I've noticed is that it's the people buying the inexpensive items that cause you the most problems. If a guy buys $300 worth of stuff from me, there's rarely a problem with attitude, if it's a $10 piece of crap, the guy will howl blue bloody murder if something is not to his liking

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dj898
    Anyway I won another Xbox game from US seller and paid promptly. Having received none for next week or so I asked the seller what's going on and next I know the seller filed unpaid item with eBay?? WTF? Doesn't the seller even check his Paypal account?

Anyway I left negative feedback right away and that certainly got his attention so he sorted out with eBay and supposedly shipped the item soon... well either way I'm going to claim the refund from Paypal anyway... don't care whether the seller ship the item or not now I'm pissed...
    So let me get this straight, the person you bought the item from obviously didn't recieve his paypal payment confirmation e-mail, and didn't check his account for new payments, and mistakenly thought you didnt pay. I've done that before. You leave a negative feedback without contacting him first, then you wait for him to contact you, and THEN you explain the situation and he checks his paypal and ships it. But YOU'RE mad and you file for a refund anyways, so the seller who made a human mistake doesn't get his money and you get a free item?

Quote Originally Posted by esquire
    I just had a transaction where I was the buyer and the seller left me negative feedback after payment wasn't sent in 5 days after the auction ended, because "he needed the money" even though the auction didn't state when payment was due. I of course in turn left him negative feedback, and then requested mutual fb withdrawal, and voila, it worked.
    5 days! You wait for over 5 days to pay! I'd have left you a negative too! Really, what were you waiting for? I pay for all my items within 24 hours, most of them within a few hours. It pisses me off when I get a seller who takes a whole damn week to pay for his items, if you don't have the money on hand to pay, don't bid.

If I go to wal-mart and buy something, and take it to the checkout lane, I pay for it right there...I don't wait around for a week before handing the cashier my money.

Yep, and you two take up the latter half.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by drummy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zing

That's my policy as well. Of course, I've only left one negative, and that's to a buyer who paid for none of his items from ANYONE. I've left a neutral foolishly, without contacting the seller, something that I have learned not to do. I do a lot of communication now. As a seller, I describe everything as accurate as possible to ensure the best.
    I had to do the same thing because I was only getting about 50% of the feedback I deserved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    5 days! You wait for over 5 days to pay! I'd have left you a negative too! Really, what were you waiting for? I pay for all my items within 24 hours, most of them within a few hours. It pisses me off when I get a seller who takes a whole damn week to pay for his items, if you don't have the money on hand to pay, don't bid.

If I go to wal-mart and buy something, and take it to the checkout lane, I pay for it right there...I don't wait around for a week before handing the cashier my money.
    The thing is I was in the process of switching my bank account and as I get paid by direct deposit, my funds weren't transferred yet. Moreover, I had to go out of town on business for 2 days. I get back and there is my negative, with only one email prior to that, stating that I have two days to pay "because I really need the money." The thing is his auction never stated payment was due in X amount of days. If that is the case, I would say a reasonable amount of time would be 7 days. The real funny thing is that it was for $10.51. Like another poster said, its not the $300 transactions that give you problems, but rather the mickey mouse ones.

As far as your remark that you would leave me a negative for not making an immediate payment, well I guess I would leave you a negative for being an obnoxious seller who didn't state the terms of payment in your auction. Sheez. I'd say the mahority of ebay auctions allow for payment in 7-10 days. If a seller wants immediate payment, he should state so. He can't change the terms after the auction ends, no more than a seller can.

And for the Wal-Mart analogy, that is apples and oranges. When you pay for an item at Wal-Mart you walk out with it. On ebay, you don't. There are no simultaneous transactions. Also, I hope you are not paying for those items with a credit card because you are not paying for it, rather your credit card company is. I prefer to pay for ebay items with funds on hand, not plastic.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So let me get this straight, the person you bought the item from obviously didn't recieve his paypal payment confirmation e-mail, and didn't check his account for new payments, and mistakenly thought you didnt pay. I've done that before. You leave a negative feedback without contacting him first, then you wait for him to contact you, and THEN you explain the situation and he checks his paypal and ships it. But YOU'RE mad and you file for a refund anyways, so the seller who made a human mistake doesn't get his money and you get a free item?
    no told the seller he can shove the item to the bin coz I don't need...

and I left negative feedback since he didn't replied to my dozen e-mail and I waited at leaset 10 days before sending first e-mail... what would you do if the seller ignoring your e-mail...?

cheers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Buyers are becoming quick with the negs, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Luckily, it'd take a ton of negs before my account drops below 99.5%, but I'm really starting to rethink my "Leave positive FB as soon as payment arrives" position.
    Yeah; that's been the standard. Very rarely have I had sellers leave feedback first; and they aren't always the honest ones! I had one auction just recently where the item was most certainly NOT as described, but instead of negging I'm nagging the seller a bit to see if I can get a change.

I don't leave neutrals...I just "forget" to leave feedback at all. Negatives, well...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, and you two take up the latter half.

Well to be fair if you're going to point other people's faults (and they do seem wrong) then it's only fair that I can call you on one of yours.

I once got a Neg for trying to negotiate shipping from a guy who wanted 6.00 just to ship a 32X cart.
    AFTER you've won an aiction is not the time to negotiate a shipping fee. If a shipping rate isn't posted on the auction and if you didn't ask up front then you only have yourself to blame. Once you bid you're obligated to pay the winning amount plus shipping. Even if you don't agree with the shipping rate.

Oh, and Esquire, I would have negged you as well. As a seller I don't want to hear that your account was being transferred, you were away for the week, you lost your job, your dog was hit by a car or aliens abducted your wife and held her for ransom. If you can't afford to pay for what you bid on then you shouldn't be bidding.

Secondly, why should the seller be required to post that he expects payment in a reasonable time? This is expected, just as it is expected that the seller ship your item in a reasonable time after you pay for it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Leaving negs for deadbeats is stupid. Especially after 5 days, you can't even file deadbeat bidder in that amount of time. They'll neg ya back more often than not. Just file for your fees back, (that gets the deadbeats kicked off, negs don't) and leave nothing. And don't say leaving negs "warns" the community, it doesn't warn anyone if they learn to snipe auctions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know whats really funny? About 4 months ago I stated how when I sell stuff I don't leave feedback until the buyer does, and everyone jumped down my throat. What a difference a few months make.