Thread: JVC X'Eye Power Supply - Final Details

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default JVC X'Eye Power Supply - Final Details

I picked up an X'Eye (console only) for a couple bucks and began seeking out a power adapter. I've read all I could on the subject here in the forums and have a couple of questions. x_x

I know the original JVC X'Eye adapter is rated 9.5V DC @ 1.5A, and the Genesis 2 adapter is rated 10V DC @ 0.85A. I've read a few places that the Genesis 2 adapter will run the console however... When using a Genesis 2 adapter the cartridge slot works fine however I have some issues with the CD drive. It doesn't seem to be spinning up the disc, the access light blinks but it never spins up the disc itself. If I push the read laser away from the center of the disc spindle it returns upon powerup (so the drive assembly itself is getting power). Internally everything looks fine and undamaged. The only thing I can do from the CD menu is access the RAM backup menu. (again, since it won't spin up and read the CD)

I know 650mA is quite a bit to miss the rating mark by so I ask... SHOULD a Genesis 2 adapter run the CD drive or do you get cartridge only performance by using one? This is the X'Eye reivsion with the RCA plugs in the back as well as the DIN socket. Just checking to see if this is a power problem or an initialization problem, thanks.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use a Genny 2 power supply with my X'Eye all the time and the CD and Carts work fine.

You have to remember that just because it says 1.5A or 850ma that is just what it is capable of putting out. Not necessarilly what it is putting out at any given moment.

Your drive might have a problem. Have you tried cleaning the lense ?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to, you can contact JVC and purchase the correct one. They still have some X' eye items in their parts inventory. Hope this helps you out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would suggest buying a different power supply (try Radio Shack, or even Wal Mart). You get get a multi adaptor for $10-$15. Make sure that it is rated for at least 1.5 A (might be listed as 1500 mA).

My guess is that the CD drive is pulling more current than your .85 is capable of making. The "standard" setup (Gen &Sega CD) uses 2 9V adaptors, each with roughly 1A rating. The Xeye only uses one power supply, so it has to drive both the cpu components and the CD drive itself, and has to have a higher amperage rating.

Bottom line: Get an adaptor with enough capacity to handle 1.5 amps. You can go as high as you like. You can even have a monstrous 40 amp power supply (a generator, for instance) set for nine volts, and the Xeye will not mind at all. The A or mA rating is just showing the amount of current the power supply is capable of creating.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS1 (the little playstation) power supply is up to the job.

funny how this question keeps coming up, does anybody have an x-eye with its power supply
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27

funny how this question keeps coming up, does anybody have an x-eye with its power supply
    I do.. but I've never seen a JVC controller...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran
    I use a Genny 2 power supply with my X'Eye all the time and the CD and Carts work fine.
    Does your X'Eye have the RCA out jacks or just the DIN socket? I've heard that the power consumption between the two revisions is slightly different.

You have to remember that just because it says 1.5A or 850ma that is just what it is capable of putting out. Not necessarilly what it is putting out at any given moment.
    I'm aware of that but it probably hasn't been booted in so long - initialization and saving to a backup RAM cart are when the X'Eye pulls for all it's worth.

Your drive might have a problem. Have you tried cleaning the lens?
    I've cleaned the lens but even if the lens was coated in paint it would still spin the disc in an attempt to initialize.

Quote Originally Posted by zot wildstarr
    If you want to, you can contact JVC and purchase the correct one. They still have some X' eye items in their parts inventory. Hope this helps you out.
    It's part number AA-S95J and has been discontinued by JVC, with no alternate product offered by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelflack
    My guess is that the CD drive is pulling more current than your .85 is capable of making. The "standard" setup (Gen &Sega CD) uses 2 9V adaptors, each with roughly 1A rating. The Xeye only uses one power supply, so it has to drive both the cpu components and the CD drive itself, and has to have a higher amperage rating.

Bottom line: Get an adaptor with enough capacity to handle 1.5 amps. You can go as high as you like. You can even have a monstrous 40 amp power supply (a generator, for instance) set for nine volts, and the Xeye will not mind at all. The A or mA rating is just showing the amount of current the power supply is capable of creating.
    ..that's what I was thinking, I know using an adapter with a higher amperage rating won't hurt anything as the transformer will only put out what the console interrogates it for. I was hoping that since the X'Eye isn't using both the cartridge slot and the CD drive at the same time it wouldn't pull near the 1.5A - however the setup using the Gen2 adapter I've seen before was on one of the X'Eye units without the RCA sockets, so the RCA socket version must require a bit more power. It's probably just missing the operating point by a tiny bit with the Gen2 adapter.

PS1 (the little playstation) power supply is up to the job.
    I'm aiming to keep my X'Eye setup on the cheap. (for the time being)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Monkey
    I've never seen a JVC controller...
    I come across them from time to time in boxes of misc adapters and such at swap meets.

Thanks to everyone for their help and replies!

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid

I've cleaned the lens but even if the lens was coated in paint it would still spin the disc in an attempt to initialize.
    Not quite true. I've replaced a lot of PS2 lasers . And I've had quite a few that were so badly ruined from people trying to clean them, that the CD wouldn't even start to spin. I'm guessing that if the laser doesn't "see" the disc then it doesn't send the signal for the cd motor to start spinning. It just assumes that there is no disc there.

I don't know if the X'Eye is the same, but it should be. Otherwise every time you open the lid and close it the Cd motor would start to spin and it doesn't. The laser has to "see" a cd there first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid

I don't know if the X'Eye is the same, but it should be. Otherwise every time you open the lid and close it the Cd motor would start to spin and it doesn't. The laser has to "see" a cd there first.
    Given the age of the console I'd guess this is triggered by a lid close sensor. (also used to trigger drive stop upon opening the lid) I can't seem to notice one on the X'Eye, does anyone know if there's one hidden and what triggers it? If that's the case and there's a tab or something broken off that's not engaging it, that could prevent the disc from spinning. Keep in mind the "Access" light is blinking NONSTOP with no change from the time I power on, opening the lid doesn't cause it to stop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Yup, I located the pinswitch on the daughterboard for the CD drive that senses if the lid is closed. The little nub has been snapped off so this is most likely the problem, the X'Eye thinks the lid is open so it won't initialize the CD drive. I'm going to either replace it or just solder a jumper to the underside to bypass it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Couldn't find a replacement pinswitch among my miscellaneous electronics components so I just soldered a little override jumper to the backside of the daughterboard. Tossed in a CD, turned the power on, and everything works perfectly. $2 JVC X'Eye, score! I'll go back later and remove my jumper and replace the pinswitch with a new one so the console will function as it should (terminate disc read / spin upon lid open).

Thanks again to EVERYONE here at the forums. If my queries about using a Genny 2 power adapter weren't asserted then I probably would have just put it aside until I picked up a universal adapter.

It's Sonic CD, Snatcher, and Popful Mail time... without having to make space for two adapters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FYI, I had a similar problem with a X'eye that I bought online- everything worked, lights turned on, etc., just that the CD tray wouldn't spin up. Likewise, the plastic tab that tells the X'eye the CD lid is closed wouldn't depress, like it was jammed or stuck on something. After taking it apart, moving it around a little bit, and putting it back together, the machine works fine.

BTW, I'm using a PSOne power adaptor, and sometimes the connection between the adaptor and the X'eye is a little iffy- you have to push it in to get it to stay. Otherwise, the power will cut off. Don't know if that is a common problem or not.

Thanks to the above posters for helping me sort everything out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by delafro
    BTW, I'm using a PSOne power adaptor, and sometimes the connection between the adaptor and the X'eye is a little iffy- you have to push it in to get it to stay. Otherwise, the power will cut off. Don't know if that is a common problem or not.
    Should pick up a Genesis 2 adapter (yellow tipped) for a couple bucks, it snaps in soild and tight. The X'Eye is still running perfectly but it was nice to see that someone had the same problem (with the pinswitch on the CD daughterboard) as me. Maybe JVC just put a crappy pinswitch in the X'Eye.. the plastic plunger that pushes on the pinswitch seems pretty shoddy as well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

not to flog a dead horse insane dave but now that the search feature is back up i urge you to read this thread carefully. i was making the case for ol'yellow tip myself and in the process got a helpful schooling in power supply notation.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...e+power+supply

take it for what its worth, i bow to the superior electronics knowledge of the FA bombjoy and mr.ninja. bottom line - what you're using may work in the short run but the x-eye is a fairly rare machine and it would suck to ruin it.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

not to flog a dead horse insane dave but now that the search feature is back up i urge you to read this thread carefully. i was making the case for ol'yellow tip myself and in the process got a helpful schooling in power supply notation.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...e+power+supply

take it for what its worth, i bow to the superior electronics knowledge of the FA bombjoy and mr.ninja. bottom line - what you're using may work in the short run but the x-eye is a fairly rare machine and it would suck to ruin it.
    Yeah I read that post myself when I was trying to find what was wrong with my X'Eye and I understand the power production / consumption differences. Really I was just trying to see if a Genny 2 power supply would run it so I could make sure it was functioning before deciding to put any more money into it. Of course if you're not using the original JVC power supply you should monitor your X'Eye with extreme caution while using it and never leave it plugged in when not in use / not attended. Now that I know my X'Eye works I'm in pursuit of an original power supply.

What you have to really watch out for when using a Genny 2 power supply is using a RAM back-up cart. This should be considered an extreme no-no unless you're using the original power supply since when you use a RAM back-up cart the X'Eye accesses the CD drive AND the cartridge slot at the same time and pulls for all it's worth.

Really I played through Snatcher and Sonic CD again and haven't touched my X'Eye since so no fear, it's being well taken care of and I'm still looking for an original JVC power supply. Also another advantage of the X'Eye over the CDX, the X'Eye is serviceable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've fixed 2 CDX's.

Wasn't fun tho.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    I've fixed 2 CDX's.

Wasn't fun tho.
    I'm sure it wasn't, but I'll change what I said, another advantage of the X'Eye over the CDX, the X'Eye is [somewhat easily] serviceable.