Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The value of a used GameCube is falling like a 100 ton brick

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The value of a used GameCube is falling like a 100 ton brick

I must admit that I'm not expert on the value of a used GameCube, but I would have to imagine that the value of one is falling pretty rapidly. The key factor is that for $99, you can get a brand new one, with a extra controller and the Cube version of Mario Kart.

So if somebody just had a used GameCube, by itself, with just the one controller, how much money could one actually get for a GameCube, when you can buy a brand new one, with a cool game and a extra controller for only $99 ?

Well, I guess you have to factor in tax. Alot of people forget about tax. Where I live a brand new Cube would cost $107.94 with tax. So then you have to ask yourself, how much is the extra controller and the Mario Kart game worth?

I would have to say close to $40 or so. It's a first party controller and a decent game.

So basically, I can't see anybody paying more than $70 for a used Cube.

I'm talking about a used Cube with just the one controller and the normal stuff that it came with. Certainly, people are selling them with extra games and extra stuff and getting more money for them.

Any Ebay experts here on the value of a bare bones Cube?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interesting post. This is the exact reason I started this thread yesterday:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/view...er=asc&start=0

I always start to break down a system by it's controllers. If you take out a controller and factor out what you would pay for it brand new, you have what the "console" is worth to me. I do this because I can't stand used controllers for the most part -- I hate buying a controller to find it not functioning perfect. I would rather spend the extra money to buy it brand new. I was seriously considering a GameCube because the Mario Kart bundle with two controllers sticks me at $50.00 for the console.

I usually will pay up to $20.00 for a game that I want, so if I were to factor MKD at $20.00, I end up with a console for only $30.00. That's pretty cool. (Damn... now I'm thinking about it again! And I get paid today )

How I justified my Xbox to myself was that I was getting the console for $180.00 (Halo Version). I thought it looked pretty sweet, and I figured that Halo would be worth $20.00 to me. So I figured that the extra price was worth it.

I cut it down $30.00 for the controller to $120.00, and then I wanted a new DVD / CD player, and I know that I would've spent $100.00 or more on it. Even with the Xbox remote (an extra $15.00), by "Dan Math" I bought the console for $35.00.

Hunh. I kinda wish I hadn't thought this GameCube thing through so well again...
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn.. didn't I pay like $250 (?) for mine?.. what the heck was the launch price again? :P

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Which bundle comes with an extra controller? The Mario Kart bundles at EBGames have only one controller.

Chris

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba
    Which bundle comes with an extra controller? The Mario Kart bundles at EBGames have only one controller.
    This one:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product

I've also seen it at Target and Circuit City. GameStop is having a special right now where you can get the console with one controller but a new game valued up to $29.99. I mistakenly thought it had two controllers, and then I would for sure be "in."
    Dan Loosen
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's also at Kmart. It's sort of a special. Certain retail outlets get the extra controller while other stores get a $15 coupon I believe.

I paid the full price of just the Cube back when it came out, and if I was in the market for one now, I would so get the bundle. Such a good deal.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    It's also at Kmart. It's sort of a special. Certain retail outlets get the extra controller while other stores get a $15 coupon I believe.

I paid the full price of just the Cube back when it came out, and if I was in the market for one now, I would so get the bundle. Such a good deal.
    Oh. Well I would rather have the $15 coupon. I might not ever get a second controller, seeing as how I pretty much play solo. $15 is better spent on another game.

Thanks for the info.

Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note I said "I believe" I'm not 100% positive on that, so check first.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Value of the console is falling, but games are staying expensive...I bought my GC with the GBP deal for $150 total. Games were still darn expensive, too!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oddly enough, I almost always play by myself or with someone that has their own controller, but I always feel like I need two controllers for the rare time my wife wants to join me or a friend is over or whatever.

I bought a second Xbox controller in mid-October and have used it ONCE.
    Dan Loosen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GarrettCRW
    PSN
    GarrettCRW

After killing my Advantage my freshman year of college (and then lucking out on finding a new one the following Christmas), I've pretty much maintained a policy of having multiple controllers on hand, especially if I can score them for dirt cheap. This particularly helps out if/when my brother visits, since kicking his ass in the latest football game is always fun (something I missed out on during his recent visit since I've yet to go after a second PS2 controller).

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I believe that Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Target, Best Buy and Circuit City give you an extra controller, while anywhere else will net you the coupon.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hell.....here in Canada I've seen used Cubes for $75, so I'd expect that in the US they'd go for about $50.

It makes me laugh......the platinum Cube was to be "limited edition".....and yet that's ALL you see in the used sections. Tons of traded in platinum Cubes. We'll see an overabundance of used crystal XboXes in the coming years. There's already been a used PStwo at our local shop.

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well last year I traded in my loose gamecube for store credit and got about 55 bucks for it at gamestop. the only reason I did this was because of the zelda collection disk you got bundle with the console at the time. The guys at the store all told me I could get it for free from nintendo if I just subscribed to Nintendo Power. Well, I did subscribed and got two from nintendo due to a mistake in shipping. So I decided that I would keep one for playing and one to trade off later. Plus, the extra disk I kept sealed I got from the trade in.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by jdc
    It makes me laugh......the platinum Cube was to be "limited edition".....and yet that's ALL you see in the used sections.
    Go take a look at some of those systems and you will see that the silver paint wears off the controllers after alot of use, exposing the yellowish plastic underneath. Very ugly. I've worked out a deal with the guys at my local game store where I am going to buy the MKD bundle, remove the game and coupon from the box, and then return it as new in exchange for a black system.

Chris

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Don't worry - the value will go back up, at least for Cubes that have the RGB digital video output. Now that they're not producing them any more, and once TV / projector technology makes these things just a tad more affordable, the older ones will be the cubes to own.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Don't worry - the value will go back up, at least for Cubes that have the RGB digital video output. Now that they're not producing them any more, and once TV / projector technology makes these things just a tad more affordable, the older ones will be the cubes to own.
    I agree. It may take a few years, but the "first generation" Gamecubes will be more valuable than these newer, cheaper models.

But by that time, "more valuable" may be $40 for the older models compared to $25 for the newer ones.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's unfortunate, but the Cube has gone the way of the N64. At my store, we have so many used Cubes that its getting to be out of control.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by NE146
    Damn.. didn't I pay like $250 (?) for mine?.. what the heck was the launch price again? :P
    I thought lauch price was 200.00

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default b

The value of a used GameCube is falling like a 100 ton brick
    Which would fall as fast as a 100 gram brick, save for wind resistance, which is negligible.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!