Thread: An Xbox hand-held? The inevitable next step?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default An Xbox hand-held? The inevitable next step?

Excuse me if this is the inappropriate forum, but I thought it relevant with all the DS vs. PSP debates going on

The Nintendo Handheld. Whatever flavor you may have, the GB, GB color, GB pocket, GBA, or DS, it has outlasted much of the competition over the years...

To those who don't think the game boy, in all of its incarnations, had any competition, let me remind you of the Atari Lynx, Sega Game Gear, Turbo Express, Neo Geo Pocket, Tiger's Game.com, even Nokia’s N-gage, and others. If the aforementioned handhelds don’t ring a bell, it’s because the dominance of the game boy at the time cut short the life of these other aspiring portable machines.

Sony is Nintendo’s arch-nemesis and will likely do the most damage in terms of market share loss in the handheld sector. The debate about innovative games, screen size, battery life, etc goes on and on, and frankly, I’m a bit tired of it……..

What I’m wondering is what the big M$ is thinking about all of this and if their minds are at work brainstorming a handheld equivalent of the Xbox? Is it even possible? How would that impact you as a gamer? Would the thought of playing Halo, Half-Life, or Fable on a plane or road trip appeal to you? Does M$ need to get into every possible market of gaming? The Xbox was the first leap, and I’m sure they must be thinking about the other areas of the gaming market where they want to penetrate. Thoughts? Ideas?...maybe there’s an internet article or something that is posted somewhere about it…maybe this has come up on boards before..I just never really did an indepth search for it (my apologizes if it has)...….your view??
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When asked about the handheld wars between Sony & Nintendo, Microsoft (maybe it was actually Bill Gates) stated that they are interested in watching Nintendo and Sony rip each other apart over this. As it will obviously draw a significant amount of resources away from each company's focus on the console wars respectively. M$ also said that they had no plans to go into the portable market. I'm sure that they've tinkered around with the idea but M$ is ALL about moving in and dominating the living room. I'm not the biggest M$ fan, but they really do have their shit together and their priorities in line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Maybe as a back pack...
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope MS needs to actually get a hold of the Console market first. Remeber, they are on their FIRST generation system. You may think they are here to stay, but people said the same thing about Sega when the genesis came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Good news from Jive3D...I'm not sure I'd say Microsoft always had their "shit together," and they're paying for that now as the new XBox will not likely be able to play original XBox games, but they definitely have a plan and it might turn out to be a good one.

As an aside, these topics ALWAYS remind me of an immortal quote from a random visitor to the now sadly rather empty Classicgaming.com main forums:

WILL XBOX MAKE A HANDHEALD?
    [sic]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: An Xbox hand-held? The inevitable next step?

Quote Originally Posted by rhiohki
    What I’m wondering is what the big M$ is thinking about all of this and if their minds are at work brainstorming a handheld equivalent of the Xbox? Is it even possible? How would that impact you as a gamer? Would the thought of playing Halo, Half-Life, or Fable on a plane or road trip appeal to you?
    Wonder no more. Here's a picture of the portable X-Box:

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your servers.
    --
    Just what is one supposed to DO with a thousand copies of "Bally Pin", anyway?

http://home.mindspring.com/~charleti...cadeindex.html