Thread: Cool local Zelda find

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Cool local Zelda find

I work in downtown Seattle and decided to stroll around the Pike Place Market on my lunchbreak today.

While milling around the local artisian displays, I stumbled across a lady who makes flutes. Displayed prominently amongst her flutes were several ceramic ocarinas which were Zelda themed. Not over the top, garish theming mind you. Just small, classy touches like a Tri-force on one or Link's sword on another. Along with the ocarinas was a small music book featuring all the the songs for Ocarina of Time.

The lady running booth picked one up and played the Song of Time to show me how they worked. How neat! She asked if I was familiar with The Legend of Zelda ( ) and told me that she and her friends had been making ocarinas long before the game came out. Afterwards, tho, there was suddenly a huge interest in them so they worked up the Zelda design and they became a big seller.

It really was a neat little package, but at $46 it was too rich for my blood. Still, it was very cool to see (and hear.)

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I see these in Tips and tricks and other game magazines alot. They are pretty neat, especially if they sound good (i have no clue). As much as I want one I can't pull myself to drop down the money on it, just like you.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually might get one if I knew they sounded alright. I dont want an expensive wistle...
    Support Medical Marijuana

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I've never seen that booth there before. o_O I wish I'd see stuff that cool there, I'm getting sick of seeing the same tossed fish and pig statue... The giant peanut is always spiffy, though. :)

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thats pretty cool, i don't think id lay the cash out for that either unless i was really loaded...but thats something my sister would buy, because she is obsessed
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually might get one if I knew they sounded alright. I dont want an expensive wistle...
    The one I heard sounded great--really pretty to hear the Song of Time played on a real ocarina rather than in MIDI. But the lady obviously was VERY familiar with the instrument so who knows how it would sound in the hands of a beginner (not that I'm saying you are :P )

I've never seen that booth there before. o_O I wish I'd see stuff that cool there, I'm getting sick of seeing the same tossed fish and pig statue... The giant peanut is always spiffy, though.
    Yeah, I'm with you on the seafood. I HATE seafood and have to hustle through several sections of the market with my nose in my shirt.

It wasn't so much at a booth as at a table.

I've spent 16 of that last 18 years up here and I'm embarassed to admit I've only gone to the market 3 times (can't stand the lack of parking!!) Even worse, this is my first visit since I started working 2 blocks away over 5 months ago. I went today because I needed to get my wife some flowers for her birthday.

Since I'm so unfamiliar with the place, I really can't give good directions. I can't even remember what level it was on. Perhaps next week I'll head back and take better mental notes.

As it was, I was just wandering aimlessly. I do know it was towards the southern end of the market. I entered a rather large entrance, walked passed a lady selling $50 soap/lotion/bath fizzie tins ( ), before the somewhat narrow walkway opened up into a much larger room. There, there were several tables aranged in a square configuration for the patrons to walk around.

Heading west down the north most side of the square my attetention was caught by a cute little ceramic bird--a potential stocking stuffer for me wife, I thought. This was about half way down the aisle. Anyway, after learning the little bird was a $35 flute ( ) I noticed a Link and Zelda figuring standing in front of a Legend of Zelda music book. This is when I finally saw the ocarinas in front of the figurines.

They really were cool. Very well done. And pretty small too--about the size of a Gameboy Advance. But, man! $46?!! I'm all for supporting local artisans. Working in the art field myself I know how much work goes into this kind of stuff and how hard it is to make ago of it. However $46 still seems steep. I think $25 would be expensive too, but at least I could bring myself to pay that. She'd probably sell a bunch more too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nemesis223
    PSN
    Nemesis2233

Yeah, my little brothers have bought a few of those.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    I've never seen that booth there before. o_O I wish I'd see stuff that cool there, I'm getting sick of seeing the same tossed fish and pig statue... The giant peanut is always spiffy, though.
    But...but....The fish flying overhead is the most memorable experience I have of Seattle. Throw a fish here, catch it in paper here, make the patron walk across the crwded ass market to pick up wrapped said fish here....Good concept.