Thread: HELP NEEDED : Sega Genesis Model 2 MOD

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default HELP NEEDED : Sega Genesis Model 2 MOD

Hello,

I want to put A\V ports on the back of my genesis model 2 system. I know you can just get a cord to do this but I want actual AV out on the back of my machine. Anyone got a chart or instructions on how to do this MOD I am asking about? The More detailed (the most simple also) way of doing this would be best. I am quite handy with console electronics but I just don't know what to do to this machine to get what I want and I only have one extra system to to try this on so I thought it would be best to ask for help instead of taking the chance of junking my system when I might get help from the forum.

Thanks In Advance,

Shawn Sr.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I believe one of the pin on the (8 pin?) din plug is video. I don't recall whether left and right audio is on that plug too. However, if you have a model one, you could wire them from the headphone jack (or rather, trace the leads where this plug goes to). Since you have a model 2, I'm not sure where the left and right audio leads are....there's no headphone jack on it.

Even without a diagram for the plug in the back (which pin does what) you should be able to figure it out by trial and error.

Why is it exactly you'd want to do this?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LSS - I can sell you the proper AV cord for that system for $12CDN. I'll try to get that PSOne info you wanted, and it could all come at the same time, if you wanted. Jacks are overkill, IMO, unless you are going S-video.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, an s-video jack on the back of the genesis would be a good idea, since these are a dime a dozen and I wouldnt feel bad drilling a hole into one. I can find instructions elsewhere if I need to probably, Im just commenting.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: d

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I believe one of the pin on the (8 pin?) din plug is video. I don't recall whether left and right audio is on that plug too. However, if you have a model one, you could wire them from the headphone jack (or rather, trace the leads where this plug goes to). Since you have a model 2, I'm not sure where the left and right audio leads are....there's no headphone jack on it.

Even without a diagram for the plug in the back (which pin does what) you should be able to figure it out by trial and error.

Why is it exactly you'd want to do this?

-Rob
    I have a model 1 as well that I could butcher I want to put the AV on the unit just for fun. So what do with the Model 2? You said something about 1 of the pins being video? So it the one pin you speak of the middle and the outside would just be grounded or what?

Ok,

So number 4 on the chart is video right? And 8 & 9 are stereo audio. What do I use as them as the outside circle or the inner male part of the video (or audio) coneector cable? Also what do I use for the outside\inside afterward? Is it just a gound? and if so should I just ground it to the metal casing inside the console? Could you send me or post a detailed picture of the guts? I am more of a tactile learner. Also is the sync not involved in this MOD somewhere also?