Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sega Ages vol. 17-Phantasy Star II--date finally set

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Sega Ages vol. 17-Phantasy Star II--date finally set

http://sega.jp/ps2/

Looks like February 24th. It's about time! I've been waiting for this for some time now. I really hope an English version gets done, but I doubt it for some reason. Can't wait for Alex Kidd in Miracle World and Phantasy Star 4!

Anybody else been awaiting this as eagerly as me?

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Wait a second -- I thought a smaller company was going to be publishing the remakes of the Phantasy Star games here in the States......

Yeah -- here we go. Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Trilogy by Conspiracy Entertrainment, due out Feb 1 for the PS2. Has the remakes of Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4.

Or are you talking about a different game?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Woo-hoo! I've been meaning to pick up a few Sega Ages titles, and this would make a nice addition.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Wait a second -- I thought a smaller company was going to be publishing the remakes of the Phantasy Star games here in the States......

Yeah -- here we go. Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Trilogy by Conspiracy Entertrainment, due out Feb 1 for the PS2. Has the remakes of Phantasy Star 1, 2, and 4.

Or are you talking about a different game?
    The Conspiracy release will be a compilation of all three Sega AGES releases. Japan has to buy them individually, we get all three for the same price!

I'd really like to see some goddam screenshots of II and IV, though. I mean, come on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I want to know why there is no PSIII in the Conspiracy release. I know the game wasn't that good, but if you're going to release a collection disc and there are onlly 4 games in the series, at least include all 4 games.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by slip81
    I want to know why there is no PSIII in the Conspiracy release. I know the game wasn't that good, but if you're going to release a collection disc and there are onlly 4 games in the series, at least include all 4 games.
    Because producing videogames costs money, and the team of professionally-educated marketing types determined that the cost of re-developing Phantasy Star III would not meet the expected return of revenue?

PSIII really isn't considered part of the series, it only shares a name and a vague reference. In reality, Phantasy Star is a trilogy with a beautiful conclusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

Because producing videogames costs money, and the team of professionally-educated marketing types determined that the cost of re-developing Phantasy Star III would not meet the expected return of revenue?

PSIII really isn't considered part of the series, it only shares a name and a vague reference. In reality, Phantasy Star is a trilogy with a beautiful conclusion.
    Couldn't have said it better. PSIII is often considered to be the bastard red-headed stepchild of the PS series. Many fans just did not like it. In it's own right, if it were a non-PS RPG, it probably woulda been just fine. It really aint a bad game. It's just barely a PS game and didn't further the story. It's like it wasn't supposed to be a PS game, but then they just threw the name on it and changed a few things. In fact, I heard it was originally not supposed to be a PS game at all.

EDIT: BTW, that trilogy in the US sounds AWESOME. That rocks beyond all belief. Anyone heard any dates for this?

-Rob

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Like I said, Feb 1st. :P
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default s

D'oh. I should really pay attention. It's interesting that we'd get all three before they are released in Japan...hmmm.

-Rob

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last I saw of it for $20 on ebgames.com. Better pre-order, they'll won't be many copies of these floating around.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Phanasy Star II: no
    Zaxxon, Super Zaxxon, Pengo, Congo Bongo, Tac/Scan or Eliminator: Yes
    Hang-On and Super Hang-On: Deffintly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

which volume of sega ages is the Alex kidd remake as i dont have a jap font installed on my computer and cant tell

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

Looks like Alex Kidd has no assigned number yet on that site. Looks like Alex Kidd, PSIV, Bare Knuckles (Streets of Rage), and something else I'm not sure about are the last of unreleased scheduled Sega Ages titles (also un-numbered).

-Rob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Looks like Alex Kidd has no assigned number yet on that site. Looks like Alex Kidd, PSIV, Bare Knuckles (Streets of Rage), and something else I'm not sure about are the last of unreleased scheduled Sega Ages titles (also un-numbered).

-Rob
    ahhhh makes sense now but those remakes look so amazing! are they coming over here or JAP only?

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I wish some these came over here.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you on drugs? Look here, Ace. First one had the talking cat and the female hero when nobody else would consider it. Hella revolutionary, right? Second one had the bleak ending and the subtle cultural nuances. Hella revolutionary, right? Third one had the multiple paths and the multiple endings, and spanned three generations. Hella revolutionary, right? Then came 4. Then came Online. Likewise good times.

Couldn't have said it better. PSIII is often considered to be the bastard red-headed stepchild of the PS series. Many fans just did not like it. In it's own right, if it were a non-PS RPG, it probably woulda been just fine. It really aint a bad game. It's just barely a PS game and didn't further the story. It's like it wasn't supposed to be a PS game, but then they just threw the name on it and changed a few things. In fact, I heard it was originally not supposed to be a PS game at all.
    Many "fans" obviously did not buy it when it first came out, and instead choose to rely on other people for their opinion about videogames.

Is it the worst game of the series? Probably. Is it still a Phantasy Star game? Yes. Still, not without it's merits, and remained loyal to the series in more ways than it diverged from it. Compared to the laughingstock chapters of the Final Fantasy series and the Zelda series, Phantasy Star III was a rather tame deviation from the norm. Don't be brainwashed otherwise.
    I am the reinforcements.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by DynastyLawyer
    Are you on drugs? Look here, Ace. First one had the talking cat and the female hero when nobody else would consider it. Hella revolutionary, right? Second one had the bleak ending and the subtle cultural nuances. Hella revolutionary, right? Third one had the multiple paths and the multiple endings, and spanned three generations. Hella revolutionary, right? Then came 4. Then came Online. Likewise good times.
    Listen, Bubba, I never argued the merits of III being a decent game, because it is. It just has almost nothing to do with the Phantasy Star universe. Part I showed the world at a golden age, and was a classic tale of a hero(ine) saving the world from evil. Part II showed the aftermath: the world became a peaceful utopia, technology flourished and then...took over. By the end we're pretty much at a clean slate, with the world back to the basics. Part IV ties it all together, the lost technology from II is rediscovered, and the root of all of the world's problems is destroyed.

Part III had nothing to do with any of this.

EDIT: I have to go pick up portnoyd from the airport now, he's stuck here on a layover for some reason. If this argument continues, I'll be back sometime later to resume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

"Because producing videogames costs money, and the team of professionally-educated marketing types determined that the cost of re-developing Phantasy Star III would not meet the expected return of revenue? "

Even then, they could at least include some emulators with all four originals, including the third one. Even if the third one is the only one without a remake. Would make for a really nice collection, I might have to buy it then and learn to like rpg's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Sega Ages vol. 17-Phantasy Star II--date finally set

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    Anybody else been awaiting this as eagerly as me?
    Yay! Unfortunately, I must wait for the U.S. release (and get a PS2) - I'm fine paying money for games on "obsolete" consoles that I can't read, but not for a new game. Still, the Ages series isn't really priced to lose value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i really cant wait to see how mother brain is rendered in this release. she is still the ulitmate rpg boss imho