Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worlds of Warcraft....anybody playing this yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Worlds of Warcraft....anybody playing this yet?

In a few months, I might venture into my first MMORPG, and this might be it. Anyone playing it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it at my friends house, its awesome. But for a 50 dollar price tag and 15 dollars a month to play it, I dont think its worth it..

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suppose it would be ok for your first MMORPG. But it leans HEAVILY on solo gameplay, and babies you through it quite a bit. Most people are complaining that it's FAR too easy (And I think EQ2, and AC2 are/were too easy).

While having a solo OPTION is ALWAYS good, it's just not a MMORPG without groups.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    I suppose it would be ok for your first MMORPG. But it leans HEAVILY on solo gameplay, and babies you through it quite a bit. Most people are complaining that it's FAR too easy (And I think EQ2, and AC2 are/were too easy).

While having a solo OPTION is ALWAYS good, it's just not a MMORPG without groups.
    On the whole, what do you think about WoW vs. EQ2?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people are complaining that it's FAR too easy
    I would agree with you - I'm playing WoW - maybe 5-10 hours a week for 2 weeks now. I'm lv 23l but I know people that are lvl40+ already. The game is fun but it's definitily not for everyone.

My friend is playing EQ2 and showed it to me yesterday - graphically, it is is stunning, maybe the best graphics I have ever seen on any game. Wow however, does have a very friendly interface and is easy to pick up quickly.
    "Same time, same place, but wrong day" The Fixx from Shuttered Rooms 1982

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well having beta tested it, and am now level 27. Easliy the best mmorpg out there imho, no it doesn't have eq2 graphics, but then it wsn't supposed to, if you like a mix, of rpg, a bit of sci fi, some humor, and a great game with a easy to use interface then try it. I am in a guild with about 30 or so friends, and we play every day, missions aren't that tedious, and you can solo just fine. If you hate the amount to pay every month, then mmorpg aren't for you I am afraid as all ar 12-15 a month (save for guild wars but I don't think that will last due to server and other costs).

If you have any questions about the game feel free to ask, I am a warrior named galtar on the whisperwind server.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i havetn seen wow, so i cant comment on it personally, however one of my interviewers at a job said that you get something for every little quest you do in the game and that it was easy to level up in.

i plan on going with eq2 or maybe guildwars, i like both alot, and guildwars is geared towards pvp, but in a fun way, you cant just be killed somewhere for no reason, your guild and another guild have to agree on fighting, its enjoyable

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The last MMORPG I was into was into was horizons. That was a really cool game but it was fairly new when I was playing it and there wasn't any pvp yet. It was quite a challenging game and some of it was pretty inovative. Anyways I got out of those game because they cost too much and require a lot of time; so I haven't played WoW. Probably wouldn't like it if it was too easy. I also enjoyed Ultima Online a lot.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i played all thru beta, fun game..just gets boring..quests are repetitious...I.E lvl 1 go kill gnarls in a cave...lvl 21...go kill higher lvl gnarls in a bigger cave... it was fun when i reached higher lvl...give it a try...its not bad
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too easy and no pvp make wow a dull boy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From the comments I'm hearing I'm not even considering it. one of the things I LOVED about EQ was how damn powerless you were, and how much you depended on other people. Unless you were good and the right class, soloing was hard to impossible to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW is my favorite MMORPG. As stated in another post I've played a good amount of the MMORPGS over the years including:

EQ
    EQ2
    AC
    EVE
    DAOC
    UO
    Horizons
    SWG

Currently I have an active Anarchy Online account which is still one of the best (not graphics wise though) and now WOW.

WOW has something like 40-50 servers for the US market alone. They make it easy for you to decide what kind of play style you want to try. PVE, PVP, and a few Rp servers mixed in. WOW dosen't force you to PVP, Team, Camp ,spend 8 hours in one mission only to finally kill the big bad monster and WTF? the loot table is screwed up so no reward for you. Quests take as little as a few minutes to an hour or more and Instanced dungeons makes sure no KS'er can swoop in and grab the loot. Sure power level to the 60 lvl cap if you want as a few already have but most are not even level 40 yet. Blizzard took all the good working systems in place in other MMORPG'S and brought them all together in 1 fantastic game. XxMe2NiKxX stated there is no PVP and of course he is wrong as I said they have specific servers for the PVP lovers out there. This game is just going to improve so go get it.

If graphics are important to you in a game then WOW is better in some cases and on par in others with EQ2. I tried EQ2 and found WOW just felt better. I would try EQ2 if you can afford it and compare them and see which you like better. EQ2 is more team oriented where WOW takes you along more of a solo route in the beginning.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Im sure this question could be answered elsewhere, but how does the battle system work? Do you just click on enemies to attack them like Diablo, or is there more of a menu system like Final Fantasy?

Either way, I think Secret of Mana is good enough for me as far a multiplayer RPGs go.
    Rarest games in collection: (R8) Chavez II for SNES / (R7) Star Gunner (Telesys) for Atari 2600
    Game Collection -- Game Commercials -- Favorite Game: Secret of Mana
    Wii code: 2572 7867 9177 9866 Smash: 0259-0110-4026

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Stark
    WOW is my favorite MMORPG. As stated in another post I've played a good amount of the MMORPGS over the years including:

EQ
    EQ2
    AC
    EVE
    DAOC
    UO
    Horizons
    SWG

<snip>
    Great review. I'll definitely be picking this up in a few months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SkiDragon
    Im sure this question could be answered elsewhere, but how does the battle system work? Do you just click on enemies to attack them like Diablo, or is there more of a menu system like Final Fantasy?

Either way, I think Secret of Mana is good enough for me as far a multiplayer RPGs go.
    Neither

You click (or press hotkeys) to start autoattacking, and you select all attacks, sklills, spells, etc. in real time. Everything is based on speed (how fast you swing, how fast your spells cast, how soon you can recast them).

Too easy and no pvp make wow a dull boy.
    Did you join a non-pvp server? I'm on a PvP server and there's more than enough PvP to satisfy you.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Most I've gotten into an MMORPG since Nexus, a little independent MMORPG that I played for 3 years hehe. WoW is very streamlined, and a very vibrant world. Yeah, it is easier, but that's good for us casual players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT
    Did you join a non-pvp server? I'm on a PvP server and there's more than enough PvP to satisfy you.
    Seconded.

And soloing is nearly a non-option when running contested areas. You party for protection against the gank, and that creates a whole new element of danger which I really enjoy.

PvP is also well handled, of course you can dual anywhere, but it works Alliance vs Horde (faction based). Horde cannot attack Alliance in Alliance held areas without engaging them first, and visa versa in Horde land. Contested areas mean any faction can attack the other faction at any time (no need to engage them first). This, again, creates a new sense of danger when you get to medium levels.

Travel is a breeze with lots of means to get around. Zeppelins, Griffins, Giant Bats, huge ships, and the like. These means are available pretty much from the start (unlike say FFXI). At level 40, you can start riding mounts (each race gets their own specific mount) which are overwhelming for PvP raids. Later on Warlocks gets lots of nice travel spells and can even summon players from anywhere in the world to their location (you have to consent to the spell, unlike Teleportation in CoH). This makes kicking off massive raids VERY easy.

Again, the quest system is brilliant. I haven't once had to farm for XP or for money. I simply picked it along the way of doing other quests. The quests offer a big xp reward (or bigger depending on your level and the difficulty of the quest) and normally either a monetary or a item reward. You may not always be able to use the item, but you can always sell it or disenchant it or use it for some other purpose (trading isn't always possible if the item is soulbound to you).

Downtime simply does not exist until you get to some very high levels. Even then, it's virtually null with food/drink options.

Much like Diablo, heath and mana potions become a must (granted, they're not all over the place, but you should always carry a few); especially for PvP.

Death is pretty much meaningless right now. Once you die, you become a ghost at the closest graveyard to where you died. You have 3 options. Either get a PC to rez you, run back to your corpse and re-inhabit your body, or rez at the graveyard. If you rez at the graveyard, you take a 25% durability hit on all your equipment and a variable length rez sickness time which detriments your stats temporarily. Going back to your corpse or having a PC rez you gives you a 10% durability hit on your equipment.

As a result of the very light death punishment, PvP is damn fun. Wanna attack a someone 10 levels above you for fun? Go for it! Later on (I don't think it's in yet), you'll be able to pick up dead quests that you can only get when you're a ghost. Lots of cool potential there.

WoW would lose some of it's luster if I were playing on a non-PvP server. I typically hate PvP but it's perfect in WoW. Once the honor system gets added, it'll open up a whole new dynamic.

I've also got a decent MMORRG experience record. EQ, AO, UO, SWG, CoH, FFXI, AC, and AC2. Of all MMORPGs, the original Asheron's Call is probably still my favorite, but once WoW's world gets fleshed out, I see a lot of potential there. I plan on having several 60's before I get done with the game.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I got this couple days ago, great game!And I was seeing what servers yall play on. I am on whisperwind, horde side.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad maddox, I am on whisperwind as well, but if you decide to make an alliance alt charecter, my name is galtar. have fun!
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DTJAAAAM
    PSN
    DTJAAAAM

I bought WOW a few weeks ago, and I love it. It's the first MMORPG I've ever played. I usually avoided them due to the monthly fees, but I'm willing to cough up the money for this one. I have human warriors on the Kargath and Kel'Thuzad servers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    Too bad maddox, I am on whisperwind as well, but if you decide to make an alliance alt charecter, my name is galtar. have fun!
    Can't make two characters on opposite factions on the same server.

So not an alt, but he could delete the horde and start over