Thread: Whats all this about Jamma and Neo Geo?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Whats all this about Jamma and Neo Geo?

Does this mean the Neo Geo AES is on its way out? (Lets not get into whether it was ever in...thats a matter of perception) Will I be able to play Samurai Shodown 6 on the AES? Will I be able to play Samurai Shodown 2 on the Jamma board? Whats a freaking Jamma board?! Can I have a Jamma board hooked up to my TV?! My brain hurts. Im gonna cry now.
    View My Wanted List Here

You're in trouble, program. Why don't you make it easy on yourself. Who's your user?

END OF LINE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Whats all this about Jamma and Neo Geo?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleatis
    Does this mean the Neo Geo AES is on its way out? (Lets not get into whether it was ever in...thats a matter of perception) Will I be able to play Samurai Shodown 6 on the AES? Will I be able to play Samurai Shodown 2 on the Jamma board? Whats a freaking Jamma board?! Can I have a Jamma board hooked up to my TV?! My brain hurts. Im gonna cry now.
    AES home carts are still being made today, look on neo-geo.com

Jamma i dont know much about so wait for others help

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

JAMMA is a standard for arcade games. You can use a device called a SuperGun to play arcade games on your television.

Use Google or the search engine to find out more about JAMMA or SuperGuns.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    JAMMA is a standard for arcade games. You can use a device called a SuperGun to play arcade games on your television.

Use Google or the search engine to find out more about JAMMA or SuperGuns.
    Im wondering how it applies to Neo Geo and where Neo geo is going with it.
    View My Wanted List Here

You're in trouble, program. Why don't you make it easy on yourself. Who's your user?

END OF LINE

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jamma is the "Japanese amusement machine manufacturers association", and is the board used in most arcade cabinets. AS for the neo geo, the AES us the home console release of games and the MVS is the arcade versions.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Search supergun in the technical restoration forum and read Captain Wrong's guide.
    Run, run, or you'll be well done! -Kefka

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89
    Jamma is the "Japanese amusement machine manufacturers association", and is the board used in most arcade cabinets. AS for the neo geo, the AES us the home console release of games and the MVS is the arcade versions.

I spent a lot of time reading about Neo Geo, their history and everything. I read a little about them using the JAMMA board now. I couldnt find much about Neo geos use of it though. Im wondering how that going to effect the AES. It seams that if theyre using JAMMA in the arcade then thats going to have some kind of major effect on the use of the AES. perhaps theyll build a conversion kit into each cart (upon the release of the AES cart) or maybe they wont even release carts for the AES anymore.

Look back to the 2600 converter that Intellivision released back in the day...the Intellivision didnt even have to be there since the converter actually did all the processing.
    View My Wanted List Here

END OF LINE

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by testament89

I spent a lot of time reading about Neo Geo, their history and everything. I read a little about them using the JAMMA board now. I couldnt find much about Neo geos use of it though. Im wondering how that going to effect the AES. It seams that if theyre using JAMMA in the arcade then thats going to have some kind of major effect on the use of the AES. perhaps theyll build a conversion kit into each cart (upon the release of the AES cart) or maybe they wont even release carts for the AES anymore.

Look back to the 2600 converter that Intellivision released back in the day...the Intellivision didnt even have to be there since the converter actually did all the processing.

SNK doesn't make games for the AES anymore- atleast I think they don't. Anyways, they do have sort of a "conversion kit" as you so put it. The Phantom-1 convertor lets you play MVS arcade games on your home AES system.
    Tradegamesnow and GameTZ feedback.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ummm...kay. Let's just break it down from the start to prevent more confusion.

There are two ways to play Neo Geo games.

One is MVS or Multi Video System. This is the arcade version. It uses JAMMA to connect to the rest of the arcade hardware inside a cab. It's possible to use these boards on regular TV's either with a supergun or a process called "Consolization".

The other is AES, or Advanced Entertainment System. This is the home console, it plays the home AES carts. They are a different shape than the MVS carts. However, if you were to compare the programming inside the AES and MVS carts, you would see the same thing. The only difference is the cart slot and pinout on the boards.

This is such a truism that a peripheral for the AES exists called the "Phantom-1". It allows you to take a MVS cart and play it on the AES. This is because, repeat with me, the games are exactly the same from arcade to home.

Almost all MVS releases get a home release as well to placate the home system fans (notable exceptions: Twinkle Star Sprites, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Poochi to Nyaa)

Now the 'effect' JAMMA has on the home system is near nil. They were meant to co-exist between each other and have for almost 15 years. Until this past april when the last Neo Geo game to be put on MVS or AES, Samurai Showdown 5 Special, was released. Sadly, the Neo is no longer a 'living' system, but it had a hell of a run.

Hopefully this answers a lot.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

JAMMA is a pinout interface used in most arcade boards since the late 80s or so. The reason the JAMMA standard was created was so operators could swap out boards in their cabinets without having to solder new harnesses for each board. It's just a pinout standard, nothing more.

Every Neo Geo MVS (arcade) board is JAMMA compliant. In other words, you can plug these babies into any JAMMA cabinet and they would work. However, the JAMMA standard only allows for a 3 button controller, so the 4th button has to be specially connected onto the Neo Geo PCB.

Oh, and the final (last) *official* Neo Geo AES release was Samurai Shodown 5 Special last July. SNK Playmore has abandoned the Neo MVS hardware to develop on more modern platforms.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG

One is MVS or Multi Video System. This is the arcade version. It uses JAMMA to connect to the rest of the arcade hardware inside a cab. It's possible to use these boards on regular TV's either with a supergun or a process called "Consolization".

The other is AES, or Advanced Entertainment System. This is the home console, it plays the home AES carts. They are a different shape than the MVS carts. However, if you were to compare the programming inside the AES and MVS carts, you would see the same thing. The only difference is the cart slot and pinout on the boards.

This is such a truism that a peripheral for the AES exists called the "Phantom-1". It allows you to take a MVS cart and play it on the AES. This is because, repeat with me, the games are exactly the same from arcade to home.

Almost all MVS releases get a home release as well to placate the home system fans (notable exceptions: Twinkle Star Sprites, Money Puzzle Exchanger, Poochi to Nyaa)

Now the 'effect' JAMMA has on the home system is near nil. They were meant to co-exist between each other and have for almost 15 years. Until this past april when the last Neo Geo game to be put on MVS or AES, Samurai Showdown 5 Special, was released. Sadly, the Neo is no longer a 'living' system, but it had a hell of a run.

-AG
    I see. Thanks for taking the time to break all that down. I got most of that from reading a 50 something page history on Neo Geo. Its just that when I heard "Neo Geo is using the JAMMA board now" I started thinking the arcade and AES are too different now. I take it that the switch from the old MVS and the JAMMA boards wouldnt make a difference.
    View My Wanted List Here

END OF LINE

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geddon_jt
    SNK Playmore has abandoned the Neo MVS hardware to develop on more modern platforms.
    And I thought that was where NEO GEO embraced JAMMA.

Ill get back onto Google and learn some more about it. Im clearly no NEO GEO expert. (yet.) Imma NEO GEO n0ob...never had the $$ to begin the hobby
    View My Wanted List Here

END OF LINE

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Geddon_jt
    SNK Playmore has abandoned the Neo MVS hardware to develop on more modern platforms.
    And I thought that was where NEO GEO embraced JAMMA.

Ill get back onto Google and learn some more about it. Im clearly no NEO GEO expert. (yet.) Imma NEO GEO n0ob...never had the $$ to begin the hobby
    When SNK designed the Neo back in late 1989 or so, the JAMMA standard was already widely accepted so they made the Neo Geo MVS hardware JAMMA-compatible. It's been that way for 15 years

And AdamG, Twinkle Star Sprites *was* released in Japan on AES... :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Where can you get one of these? How well do they work? x_x
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

eBay, maybe Neo-Geo.com, JapanGamesNow.com - maaybe. Not sure on that last one. With a few exceptions the AES version is more expensive than the home cart release, though trying to buy a complete kit (the MVS version of having a complete game cartridge, comes with box, marquee etc.) for an MVS game can be expensive since arcade owners didn't always keep ahold of this stuff.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-AG
    Quick note - Twinklestar Sprites is available on AES form, I have it, it's just so rare that many people don't realize they came out officially. Whether Neo-Geo is a living system or not is hard to tell, who knows, maybe some crazy third party in Japan will buy the rights to publish games for AES and MVS later on.

Not almost all MVS, there're over 150 AES games, while only 117 AES games, quite a few didn't make it to AES.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

-AG
    I see. Thanks for taking the time to break all that down. I got most of that from reading a 50 something page history on Neo Geo. Its just that when I heard "Neo Geo is using the JAMMA board now" I started thinking the arcade and AES are too different now. I take it that the switch from the old MVS and the JAMMA boards wouldnt make a difference.
    just to clear this up, there was no switch from MVS to jamma, it is the same thing. it is called an MVS board, but it is JAMMA compatible, jamma is just the type of wiring it takes to use the MVS board, they are not 2 different things.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cauterize
    AES home carts are still being made today, look on neo-geo.com

Jamma i dont know much about so wait for others help
    AES home carts are not being made anymore, they ceased development for the neo geo after Samurai Shodown V Special.
    SNK now develops for the Sammy Atomiswave.
    by the way cauterize, i dont know if you have been back to the neo forums since you first posted your welcoming thread, but you may want to check it out, its not pretty.
    BLAST AWAY AND GO GO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max 330 mega
    by the way cauterize, i dont know if you have been back to the neo forums since you first posted your welcoming thread, but you may want to check it out, its not pretty.
    Not pretty? That's relatively tame for NG.com. Either way, it's unfortunately part of the territory there.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!