Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lodgenet n64 controller

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default lodgenet n64 controller

thought id throw this up so anyone who finds one of these controllers at a flea market in 2009 and does a search will have some info about it after the program is long gone. viva la DP!

my brother invited me to stay at a Great Wolf Lodge in Sandusky, Ohio recently. in the room they had a modified N64 controller(with menu, select, order, reset, * and # buttons above the start button) sitting on top of the TV. naturally this piqued my interest. attaching the controller to the TV is about an 8' phone type cord. i thought this must be some bootleg deal, but soon noticed it has the nintendo logo on it. flipping it over, the rumble pak slot is solid(though the controller is shaped the same), and in this area is printed "CONTROLLER IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH ANY HOME GAME SYSTEM. IF REMOVED, A $29.95 SERVICE CHARGE WILL BE ADDED TO YOUR ROOM BILL."
    then, in smaller(but still capital letters)
    'lodgenet model no. LN6401 Made in china
    M(circled)C(circled)1997 nintendo /D(circled) nintendo U.S. patent376,826
    more patents issued and pending"

im a sucker for weird controllers, so naturally i stole it...more on that later

being a connoiseur (i cant spell anymore) of game history, i thought id preserve the game list...avaialble in the room for $7.73 an hour.

each game select screen showed 3 games, as follows.

mario tennis
    excitebike 64
    mario kart 64
    paper mario
    super smash Bros.
    hydro thunder
    midways greatest arcade hits
    rush 2 extreme racing usa
    1080 snowboarding
    mario golf
    namco museum
    dr mario 64
    super mario 64
    ready to rumble boxing
    mario party 3
    kirby 64
    star wars rogue squadron
    martal kombat
    wave race 64
    pokemon snap
    virtual pool 64
    yoshis story
    donkey kong 64
    star fox 64
    the new tetris
    rampage 2 universal tour
    fzero x
    pilot wings 64
    legend of zelda (thats all it said)
    gauntlet legends
    legend of zelda: majoras mask
    virtual chess

32 games total, but at $8.00 an hour it seemed expensive, especially with a water park downstairs.

so anyway, i decide im going to steal the controller. i go down to the night manager to tell him(i dont want it to be charged to my brother) and he tells me"theyll charge you like $150 for that...i wouldnt take it. our blankets are $300!!" younger guy, but a damn twerp. he also said 'theyd have to call in an order for one of those, we dont have them here". twerp.
    after looking for a 'prices of our stuff if you steal it' guide in the room, i find out the blankets are $50, and the damn controller is printed $29.95, so thats what ill pay. so in the morning i go tell the older manager(different guy, cooler and more knwledgable of company policy) that im stealing the controller and would like to pay for it now. his response? "ok""i dont know why youd want it, but how much did it say?" so we run the deal, he charges my credit card...says simply"you know what, let me check with the maintenance guys to see if those will work on your system"...nice guy. i told him i knew it wouldnt and didnt care, im a collector, etc.
    to help shorten a long story, 5 minutes later i was out the door with my lodgenet controller.

so i think to myself "theres a market for these if i can get them cheap"
    so i email lodgenet. they respond basically that "we are not resellers and are not licensed to sell these things. sorry about your luck but thanks for the interest" (paraphrasing) good thing i 'stole' one, even though it cost $29.99 for a controller that will never work. i still like it.

well, thats my tale, simply for posterity. there are other posts about these in the past, but no topics yet...
    someone else said the place they stayed had about 11 games and 3 homebrew type. im sure lodgenet has updated its offerings many many times, so there are probably several different available games at different times.

i thought this was pretty interesting, and had never seen one even though it was licensed in 1997....the website says a gamecube lodgenet is in place in some areas also. if i find one, you can bet ill drop another $29.95 for that one too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

grr i hate j00 =P i should of done what you had done when they had snes controllers.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

A lot of hotels still have the Logenet N64 systems. I worked at a Courtyard that was brand new when I started there in May of 2003, and they had them. When I left in October of this year, we still had them.

I remember reading last year that a deal was signed to get GameCube games in on the Lodgenet system, but I have no idea if that has been done yet.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A few years ago, I stayed at a Hilton in Washington D.C. that had those Lodgenet N64 systems. Didn't bother to play it though, too expensive for my taste.

Here's some information/pics on the SNES Lodgenet system:

Link

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I've come across those things a few times during my travels, though I never bothered to play it, since $8 an hour is a bit much.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah my work has em. Suprisingly people still pay 9.00 an hour to play the olde N64. There neat but IMO nothing to get excited about.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default f

I think I actually have an old post about these. Actually, looks like I didn't start the thread, but I did post in a couple of these:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/search.php?mode=results

When I stayed at Attitash in Northern NH (a ski resort), they had these a couple years ago this March. I wanted to steal it to. I even contacted Lodgenet and got the same shit. I actually wanted to steal the whole damn TV and check out its hardware. Basically a Cable connection downloads the game to the TV.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

id love to see a closer shot of that snes controller...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if the system itself wastn bult into the tv id steal that. screw the controller dude take the whole thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I remember reading last year that a deal was signed to get GameCube games in on the Lodgenet system, but I have no idea if that has been done yet.
    There is a guy on DP, based in Liverpool, England, (i forgot his user name) and he has gamecube controllers with modem cable conector style ends to them, possibly they are for this kind of system

RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews, Community & Forum
    View my Retro Game Collection: Click here
    My Trade List: Click here
    My Want List: Click here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cauterize
    There is a guy on DP, based in Liverpool, England, (i forgot his user name) and he has gamecube controllers with modem cable conector style ends to them, possibly they are for this kind of system
    No those were prototypes for the gamecube its self. And I know they have a lodgnet Gamecube. I've seen the brochures that they faxed over to my hotel.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nez
    Quote Originally Posted by cauterize
    No those were prototypes for the gamecube its self. And I know they have a lodgnet Gamecube. I've seen the brochures that they faxed over to my hotel.
    Ahhhh my bad then, even so they were pretty cool!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Awesome man! Now....I want to see pictures! Can you post em?

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ill get em put on photobucket...then ill link em up

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

try this...should be the first 2 pics.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v509/qbertandernie/

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Okay, that's England....I was saying I have yet to hear of a SINGLE hotel in the US that has changed from N64 Lodgenet to GameCube Lodgenet.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

I've seen both SNES and N64, but all the times I did, it was on business travel, and I'd rather not fuck around by grabbing one. Since then, no fucking luck!

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd suspect that the actual game hardware is part of the same backend system that handles things like pay-per-view movie playback. The televisions just have a generic serial device port that the controllers connect to, and they are also capable of sending data back upstream through the coax cable for things like movie purchasing, and in this case, sending game controls to the machine that's actually running them. It wouldn't make sense to have the game hardware built into the television, because it would greatly complicate an upgrade deployment. By leaving the game hardware separate, they just have to replace the controllers and a bank of hardware in the A/V office, as opposed to replacing or modifying the television in every single room.

If you can find one of those televisions that supports serial devices somewhere else (I've seen them in schools), try plugging it in, because the remote control functions might still work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    I'd suspect that the actual game hardware is part of the same backend system that handles things like pay-per-view movie playback. The televisions just have a generic serial device port that the controllers connect to, and they are also capable of sending data back upstream through the coax cable for things like movie purchasing, and in this case, sending game controls to the machine that's actually running them. It wouldn't make sense to have the game hardware built into the television, because it would greatly complicate an upgrade deployment. By leaving the game hardware separate, they just have to replace the controllers and a bank of hardware in the A/V office, as opposed to replacing or modifying the television in every single room.

If you can find one of those televisions that supports serial devices somewhere else (I've seen them in schools), try plugging it in, because the remote control functions might still work.
    But does that mean there are X amount of N64s playing X amoutn of games?

or

Is there some Multicart these places have with all those games on???

also

lets say 15 people are playign at the same time, how many n64s are there and what if they all wanna play the same game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahh, the infamous LodgeNet service. I noticed this when I went to CGE2K4 (they have it at the Crowne Plaza hotel in San Jose). I found it odd to see an N64 controller wired up to the TV. The one in my room was obviously broken, although I wouldn't have paid for the service anyway.

I snapped a few blurry screenshots for the heck of it. This is the only one I have online right now:

If anyone's interested, I'll put up the rest (I think I saved them). They're just shots of the game selection screens.
    o2william's Found & Lost

The Odyssey˛ Homepage! - Visit it for Sync-Sound Action!