Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Midway Announces New Blitz Game, Flips Off NFL

Official press release:

MIDWAY TACKLES MATURE-THEMED FOOTBALL WITH BLITZ®: PLAYMAKERS

New Football Game to Feature Level of Intensity Not Found in Licensed Sports Products

CHICAGO – December 16, 2004 – Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment software publisher and developer, announced today the development of Blitz: Playmakers, a new, unlicensed videogame exposing the harsh realism and troubling, behind-the-scenes stories of a fictional professional football league. Blitz: Playmakers has been in development at Midway’s Chicago studio for the past year in collaboration with a writer from ESPN’s controversial "Playmakers" TV series. Blitz: Playmakers goes behind the glitz and glamour of the game through a revolutionary campaign mode that explores the on-field violence, off-field fallout and front-office politics of professional football. Blitz: Playmakers is scheduled for release in the fourth quarter of 2005 on multiple videogame console platforms.

"Midway's Chicago studio has laid the foundation over the past year for what is the ultimate alternative to watered down NFL sanctioned football games," said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer of Midway. "No longer bound to the NFL license, there will be no league restrictions on content and gamers will finally experience what makes playing a football videogame really fun: off-field controversies, dirty hits, excessive celebrations and much more. Blitz: Playmakers buyers will be assured of one thing - our game will include all the gameplay and fun the NFL won’t allow."

About Blitz: Playmakers

Blitz: Playmakers will feature a powerful story mode that, for the first time ever in a football videogame, explores the realism, lifestyle and drama found in professional football. Players will take the helm of a downtrodden football franchise and retool the players and coaching staff in a quest to guide them to the league championship. Additional features include intense multiplayer action with head-to head online play and complete customization of players, teams, stadiums and more.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I first heard this might happen, I was non-plussed, but the more I think about it, done right it could work well, a good story mode is what will make this game, I already like the blitz engine, throw in a good soundtrack, and a god pricing scheme, and it could work. But I will be curious to see what happens with this.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    When I first heard this might happen, I was non-plussed, but the more I think about it, done right it could work well, a good story mode is what will make this game, I already like the blitz engine, throw in a good soundtrack, and a god pricing scheme, and it could work. But I will be curious to see what happens with this.
    Good god that's a lot of commas.

But yeah, I agree, right on Midway. Sports games can still appeal to those of us who aren't sports enthusiasts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

I can't wait to play this, I've always loved the Blitz games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

As a fan of the series, I hated the last Blitz. I hated that they got away from the cartoony-fun violence that made the series popular. I hope that this new one is fun. Kudos to them for flipping off the NFL. There is more to sports games than putting real names on the back of virtual jerseys.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

This is for real, huh?

Well, kudos for Midway for trying something a little different in light of the new deal. Let's see what Sega does.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEye
    Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    Good god that's a lot of commas.

But yeah, I agree, right on Midway. Sports games can still appeal to those of us who aren't sports enthusiasts.
    That was a triple comma splice, for those keeping track in the grammar gallery.

So this is going to be like Grand Theft Pigskin?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont know how I did it, but I started a similar thread one hour after this one. Bleh.

*slaps forehead*

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    As a fan of the series, I hated the last Blitz. I hated that they got away from the cartoony-fun violence that made the series popular. I hope that this new one is fun. Kudos to them for flipping off the NFL. There is more to sports games than putting real names on the back of virtual jerseys.
    i think the NFL flipped them off first, they dont really have a choice. i will at least play this for sure.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Good going for Midway!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Let's see what Sega does.
    This is from an article on Gamespot about Take-Two's earnings announcement. Take-Two also had a word on their ESPN football franchise:

Company officials also touched on the future of the ESPN football franchise, which, in the wake of Electronic Arts' exclusive deal with Players Inc., would have to be NFL-free. In its statement, Take-Two said, "While recent industry developments preclude the release of an officially licensed professional football title, the Company and SEGA are evaluating opportunities to publish a title based on the critically acclaimed 2K football game." Chairman and CEO Richard Roedel tried to put a more positive spin on the situation by reflecting on ESPN games' past. "We are pleased with our ESPN sports titles. We brought terrific energy to this product and proved that our approach to brand development and our distribution strengths are relevant to diverse markets," he told analysts during a conference call.

The full article can be found here, but the above is all they had to say relating to EA.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome, it seems like this game will put a nice spin on the boring football genre. The last Football game I was interested in was mutant leauge football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been thinking something like this would happen. It's great to see something beyond the old "play football, get to the playoffs, win the Super Bowl" story that we've had in games since...always.

This just may be worth more than a dollar a year after its released!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thoughts of the XFL come to mind. (Isn't it nice that we were spared licensed XFL titles?)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

As I said in another thread, I have proof that a XFL game was in the works for the PlayStation, although I don't know who made it. Maybe a prototype is floating around out there. I'd have to ask the PS experts.

In any case, this Midway game does sound interesting -- and different. I'll be sure to check it out. It also seems Sega is going ahead with a new ESPN game.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arena Football.

The gaming industry is a multi-billion dollar a year place, and it could make Arena football more mainstream, while simultaneously, Arena Football would provide an audience for video game purchases.