Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would You Still Enjoy RPGs If They Had No Story?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Would You Still Enjoy RPGs If They Had No Story?

Okay, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has heard people say, "I play games for the gameplay," or heard people complain, "What these new game makers dont' realize it that the game is about the gameplay."

Then I got thinking that while I enjoy an RPG's storyline, I don't enjoy the battles, or to be more precise, I don't enjoy having a storyline and battles. They feel like two completely disseperate things mooshed together into an incohesive whole.

Take the original Final Fantasy. Now that I like; of course, I prefer the newer versions of them because the leveling up and difficulty and interface is improved. But my point is that the game provides story at a minimum and has the PLAYER rather than the self-narrating characters create the story in his or her head.

Most RPGs provide the storyline as "sugar" to reward the players for sitting through the "tart" battles. In most games where the STORY is the point rather than the gameplay fighting feels arduous, something that must be done simply to progress further into the presented, predetermined story.

So I now come to the whole point of this post, which is to ask "serious" RPG players if they would still play their games if there were no stories in them, just the battles.

So RPG'ers, would you? Personally, I think I would play them more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

personally if there wasnt a story i wouldnt play em , I didnt like zelda oot at all cause its little bit of story (imo) but I love ff6.
    U GAIZ JUST DONT LIKE CHANGE , (builds a artificial foundation here)

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I would. But would I watch/read 50,000 iterations of the standard RPG storyline? Probably not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really depends, I loved Grandia and Grandia 2 for the battles and not the storys. While in Kouldelka I play for the story. Just as long as one of em is great I'm usually set.

But I'm much rather have the best of both worlds, ie Shadow Hearts, PDS.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, with most (not all) strategy RPGs, the story is rather secondary. There are also some older RPGs, like Dungeon Master or even Shining in the Darkness, that have virtually no story at all but still manage to be fun. I enjoy a good dungeon hack once in a while, but an interesting story never hurts, either.

Of course, in some games, the main storyline really isn't that important. Take Fallout, for example. It's probably my favorite RPG ever, but the main storyline isn't all that great, and it's never really fleshed out in all that much detail. It's the characterization of the 'unimportant' people in the world, the little details, and the atmosphere that make it so immersive. The same could be said of games like Morrowind.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by it290
    dungeon hack
    That was the first phrase to came to mind when I saw this topic as it is basically what an rpg without a story is. I love the wizardry series and other such games in that vein so I would have to say yes to the question.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Not me. The more story, the better.

The main reason I PLAY and love RPG's is because of the rich, detailed stories, the thought out charcters that you can interact with, and the enviroment that the game presents. Sure, I want it to have decent graphics and music and fun gameplay, but I love reading and sometimes I see better stories told in these games then in many books that I've read.

That's one reason I loved Xenosaga and Star Ocean 3 so much, for example, while detesting Dragon Warrior 7.

I've just never been fond of the 'hack and slash' games. Gimme a LITTLE story to go along with it. The original Final Fantasy, for example, has enough of a story (especily with the PS and GBA remakes) to keep me happy as I play through it.

Gimme a massive story driven game any day -- not just a RPG, but a action, a FPS, hell, even sports.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends .. I'd probably still play them, but I wouldn't enjoy them as much... Prime example....Lucienne's Quest for the 3do....game play is great. used a FF Tactics type grid with elevation and obsticles for battles, but the story was pretty straight forward and predictable. So really I played it for the gameplay. On the other hand take FF7, great story line, but the battles are pretty basic number throwing. Granted they spiced things up with materia, but really the fights are pretty repeative and dull. Both games I enjoyed for different reasons, wether it gameplay or storyline

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think there would even be a point in playing the game if there was no story. What would you do? Just walk around leveling up all day. That's ridiculous. It would be so boring. The story is the key to capturing the player's interest in the game. The gameplay alone wouldn't keep me there for 5 minutes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You mean RPGs have a story?

ian
    My sense of humor is a sad excuse for armor.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For the first time in quite a while, I'm gonna completely agreee with soulblazer (except for the not liking DW7 part, that's just blasphemous)
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd play more RPG's if they actually HAD a story. Not all are devoid of a tale but, I have found that most of them are. This and all the stupid cliches have to end. I know that Capolla is not gonna make the transition from silver screen to PS3 but, does the plotlines for these games have to be so soapish?

IMO Vice City had huge amounts of story over most RPG's. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Strawberry (Level 2) Beefy Hits's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I play FFXI, and that really doesn't have much of a story, considering how long the game is played.
    You don't have to be smart, you don't have to have all the facts, you just have to be confident.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on the game, if it's a strategy RPG I would play it without a story, cause the main interest there for me is the battles. But for a traditional RPG I wouldn't play it if it was just aimless dungeon crawling without a story and interesting plot/character devices.

This is probably the reason I don't care that much for MMORPG's, they get boring for me fast when there is no advancement other than gaining levels and getting better armour/weapons/abilities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it comes to RPG's, the type that is gameplay 1st and story 2nd for me are SRPG's. The battles are just so much fun to me. I can't even stand hack n' slash RPG's. Battle fights are too repeditive and lack any interest. Now, if only someone would make a hack n' slash RPG where the battles played more like a fighting game...

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Wow, Sylentwulf actually agrees with me!

But to answer the point and also tie it into the topic -- I loved the eariler Dragon Warrior games because even though they were lacking in story they still had fun game play. Now I've been spoiled by the likes of games such as the Final Fantasys and Suikoden's and Star Oceans and others. DW 7 just played and felt like DW 1 to me.....and not at all like a 'modern' RPG. It felt like it was still stuck in 1988.

We have the ability now with these modern games to persent some wonderfull and masterfull tales, and it's what keeps me coming back to game playing after doing it for some many years.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

RPGs....I only play them for the story. I don't really care for the gameplay as they're really designed as an interactive story or movie anyway. Some focus on the interaction, some focus on the movie part, but that's how they're all designed. I wouldn't play RPGs that had no story. Minimal story I can handle...sometimes. Personally I also detested Ocarina of Time (though I don't consider it an RPG) simply because the story was so minimal and lame. I HATED it cause the story sucked. A lot of RPGs, if the story is bad, I won't bother to play them. I'll just drop em dead right in the middle. Some of my most reviled games include FF7-FF9 because all three had AWFUL stories.

I also despise MMORPGs. I like strategy RPGs, but also prefer them to have a story of some sort. A strategy/RPG with no story is often just a strategy game though (a la X-Com) as I've seen very few strategy/RPGs with NO story. Some have lame or minimalistic ones, but few have NONE. It's a different beast though, so I tolerate it more.

@ Xexyz: Virtua Quest is coming....it combines fighting game style battles with RPG gaming and story elements. I'm waiting to see how good it is
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Might want to check on some of the more current MMORPGS. I know AC2 and EQ2 actually have quite a LOT of story in them. EQ2 even has voiceovers which actually DO make more of a difference than I thought it would.

Granted, before those 2 games, stories in MMORPGS were pretty pathetic.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd absolutely play RPGs even if they had no story. However, I feel like the only RPG fan in existence who believes the gameplay is far more important than plot (besides people who play PC-style RPGs; I'm talking about fans of Japanese RPGs here). :/ This is probably the main reason why I don't often like the big mainstream RPGs. Their battle systems are so pathetic, dull, and easy that they're not even worth playing. No amount of story can make up for that. Also, having played a ton of RPGs and not looking at them through story-loving rose-colored glasses, I realize that the vast majority of RPG plots are VERY similar. They use the same tired old stereotypes over and over and OVER, the same plot progression, the same plot "twists" (which are usually either seen coming a mile away or just flat out ridiculous). With so many infinitely better sources of fictional stories (movies, books, whatever), why should I waste my time being that concerned with the drivel called a "plot" in 99% of RPGs?

However, I expect my games to be a complete package. Even an action game needs a premise, so I wouldn't want an RPG to be NOTHING but battles. Something has to tie it all together. There needs to be a sense of progression. Ultimately, I find myself much more concerned with character design, atmosphere, and setting. If an RPG can give me characters that I can actually find likable and a setting I find pleasant to explore, that's more than enough to satisfy me on the story side of things.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now, if only someone would make a hack n' slash RPG where the battles played more like a fighting game...
    You mean like Guardian Heroes? Okay, probably not exactly what you had in mind, but still a sweet game.