Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's been a long time, I shouldna left ya....(long PS2 rant)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default It's been a long time, I shouldna left ya....(long PS2 rant)

Man, I had I Playstation 2 way back in the day, but I only had the thing for about 9 months or so. I got it the day it came out, and then I had it up until about a week prior to the release of Grand Theft Auto 3, the very first one.

I know, I know, what a time to sell the PS2, just when it was starting to turn the corner.

Well, back then I was very dissapointed in the PS2 at that time. I had such high hopes and huge expectations for the PS2, thinking it would be the alpha and the omega, and I was just very dissapointed with the games that were available. I had a Dreamcast at the same time, and I actually liked my Dreamcast better. The only game on the PS2 that really impressed me was Ico. Everything else was very mediocre, and had tons of jaggies and other visual problems. This was very early in the life of the PS2, and certainly, things have definitely changed since then.

But back then I made a decision. The XBOX and the GameCube were about to come out, and I decided to sell all my Dreamcast stuff, and all my PS2 stuff, and that I was going to hop on the XBOX and GameCube bandwagon to the fullest extent. I did that, and for all those years, I never looked back. Actually, there really weren't that many PS2 games that made me wish I had a PS2. A few games here and there, but not that many, and most of the best ones were likely to come to the XBOX in six months anyways, and would probably look and sound quite a bit better. So I really didn't think I was missing out on much.

I was also a big time videophile, and I thought that the PS2 was just a horribly designed system, that was really lacking in the quality of the video that it could put out. I mean, that thing looked like total crap on a HDTV.

But now, things have changed. Years have gone by, and I went Retro wtih my gaming. Going retro helped me learn some things about video games. That I didn't have to have games that were in HDTV, and widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 to enjoy them. Good games are good games period. Sure, I still love games that are progressive scan, and widescreen, but I don't absolutely need that, as much as I did in the past.

The main reason I dumped the PS2 was because at the time it didn't have a single game that was progressive scan. I knew that virutally every XBOX game was progressive scan and most of the best GameCube games would be, so I decided to ditch the PS2. Way back in August of 2001.

Here we are, over 3 years later, and I've just been reunited with a shiny brand new PS2. I got the slimline model, because I like the fact that it's nice and tiny, and much more portable. I'm really looking forward to Sony coming out with a nice screen for it, and some type of battery pack. But that's another story.

Anyways, the main reasons that I decided to get a PS2 after all these years, is that I think that I've missed a number of very big time games that I really should have experienced. Plus a lot of really new games, that look really cool were coming out this year. And a few more games are coming along that are supporting progressive scan, which is nice.

I got a big batch of games to keep my PS2 comfy and cosy this XMAS. Of course I got San Andreas, what a really cool game that is. The GTA 3 games just have a unique flavor all their own. I would rather see it on XBOX, but it's nice to play it now and not have to wait 8 months or whatever. I also got Ratch and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, what a sweet game that is!!! Man, one thing that the PS2 really has over the other consoles is the 3D action platform game. Speaking of those, I got Jak 3 as well. I got Killzone, to see just how far programmers have been able to go with the PS2. Pretty impressive for a PS2 game. Maybe a little too ambitious, but cool regardless. I got Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, had to check that puppy out. I also got Neo Contra, because I'm a big fan of the 16 bit era Contra's, but I must admit that I'm not too thrilled with this one. On the old school side, I got Ico to revist that, and I got Contra Shattered Soldier, a game that I never tried before.

Still a bunch more games that I want to check out on PS2. Wow, I know I'm very late to the PS2 party, but there are some really cool games on this system. Once you get past the fact that the PS2 isn't any kind of technological marvel, then you realize that there are still some damn good pieces of software on it.

And it looks nice in warm vanilla pudding too!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

without a good game to step too...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

The main reason I dumped the PS2 was because at the time it didn't have a single game that was progressive scan.
    That's insane. x_x
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Glad to see you're back in the PS2 camp. I love my PS2. I really love all of my consoles but I still play PS2 the most right now. You've chosen an excellent batch of games to get you started, you're looknig at about 200 hours of gametime right there!

I've been engrossed in GTA: San Andreas since it came out. I finished all the missions then went back to find all the extra stuff. The exploration in the game has been the most fun to me. The architecture of the virtual world Rockstar has built... it's simply awesome.

I've got the new Sly Cooper game and Metal Gear Solid 3 on my Xmas list so I hope to be playing at least one of those on our long New Years' weekend.

We're building our PS2 database online as well, so you can always check back there for references.

Enjoy your "rekindling" with your PS2!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought rants are usually negative...this is more of a lovefest. but me I'm willing to own every system as long as there is a couple of titles worth playing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

Quote Originally Posted by youruglyclone
    I thought rants are usually negative...this is more of a lovefest. but me I'm willing to own every system as long as there is a couple of titles worth playing.

im the same, but take off the as long as there is a couple of titles worth playing.....personally, ill own a system just to own it, doesnt even matter to me how good the games are (hence why i own a Game.com)
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I just can't *imagine* selling a console these days, especially one of the newer ones (since I play my PS2/Xbox/GC *way* more than I play the retro stuff). Even if the money was tight I'd hold onto everything like grim death and *wait* until I could get that next platform...

(Not that I'm criticising your decision - I'm just trying to picture myself doing something similar and I can't).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    The main reason I dumped the PS2 was because at the time it didn't have a single game that was progressive scan.
    That's insane. x_x
    Tell me about it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    That's insane. x_x
    Tell me about it.

You know what, you guys can say that, but at the time that the PS2 was about to come out, I was a total HDTV nut. Even more than a video game nut. I had a Sega Dreamcast, and every game that I had was 480p and looked incredible on my HDTV set. At this time, back in the year 2000, that was a pretty amazing thing. So Sony came along and was talking about how the PS2 has going to be compatible with HDTV, and that supposedly it was going to have some games at 720p and stuff like that. So I went to the e3 of 2000, and I saw the PS2 first hand before it came out. I talked to ton of the Sony people there, and I asked them if it really was going to have HDTV games, and they all said yes. Then the day it came out, I got one, I had the component cable and I hooked it up to my HDTV, and the picture was total crap. Jaggie city to the freaking extreme.

Well, you have to remember that at this time I was totally brainwashed by everything related to HDTV, and as much as I was enjoying my Dreamcast in 480p, the fact that the PS2 didn't have any progressive scan games, that really pissed me off.

I know that it must sound totally stupid to you, but what can I say. I admit that I actually thought that. I know that it's very funny to me now. I can totally apreciate the beauty of non progresssive scan games now. After going retro, all that technological crap kinda evaporated. I still love things to be as technically advanced as possible, but I'm loving San Andreas in my warm Strawberry custard.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nature Boy
    I just can't *imagine* selling a console these days, especially one of the newer ones (since I play my PS2/Xbox/GC *way* more than I play the retro stuff). Even if the money was tight I'd hold onto everything like grim death and *wait* until I could get that next platform...

(Not that I'm criticising your decision - I'm just trying to picture myself doing something similar and I can't).

Well, see, there is two sides to Anthony1. There is the pre Retro Era, and the post Retro Era, and they are very different.

B.R. (Before Retro) I used to sell off my old systems, to pay for my new. It was standard operating procedure. I didn't have much cash, and I really couldn't afford the brand new systems and controllers and games and everything that you have to buy each time a new system came out.

But the thing is, that I was totally addicted to video games, and I was always dreaming of the latest and greatest video game wonders. Each new system brought with it untold capabilities and power. You talk about an early adopter, if you look it up in the dictionary, my mug shot should be right there beside it.

So not having any money, what I always would do is sell of the old, to pay for the new. But I must stress that I didnt' come close to giving my stuff away. I was very shrewd about that, and I would selll my systems before their value would totally plummet. I would still get damn good money for them, and I only bought the best games, and I would get good money for those too. It sucks that all of this happened before I knew Ebay existed. I would have gotten even more money for my stuff.

But, the fact of the matter is this. I sold my NES, got a TG-16, got a Genesis, sold my TG-16, for big money by the way, and got a SNES. Got a Sega CD, sold my SNES and Sega CD and Genny for a Neo Geo. Sold Neo Geo and got back my SNES and Gensis. Then I added a Atari Jaguar, and then a 3DO. I also got a 32X. This was the most systems that I ever had at one time. I had a 3DO, Jaguar, Genesis, 32X and SNES simulatenously. Then I sold the Jaguar and 32x and Genesis and got a Saturn, and then later a Playstation. Then I sold the SNES and got a Nintendo 64. So I had a N64, PS1 and Saturn, and then before the Saturn was about to totally collapse in price, I actually got alot of money for it, I almost feel quilty about it. I sold it to this little kid and his dad. I knew the Saturn would die very soon, but I sold it to them anyways for big money. Anyways, I got rid of my Saturn and 3DO and got a 3DFX PC system for stuff like Unreal. So I had a 3DFX PC and a PS1. Then I got rid of the PS1, and quite a bit later got a Dreamcast. Then PS2, then got rid of PS2 and Dreamcast and got XBOX and GameCube.

The thing is, every single one of those systems were purchased on launch day, except 3.

1. NES - I got this as a XMAS present
    2. TG-16 - I got it about 2 months after it came out
    3. Genesis - I got this about 6 months after it came out

That was it. Every other single system I had on day one. And then I had it for a all of it's really significant lifespan. But once it started to slip, and if a new system was about to come out, then out with the old and in with the new.

I just spend thousands and thousands over this last year to get all my old systems back. I learned my lesson. Might as well keep at least one of each system till I die.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    That's insane. x_x
    Tell me about it.

You know what, you guys can say that, but at the time that the PS2 was about to come out, I was a total HDTV nut. Even more than a video game nut. I had a Sega Dreamcast, and every game that I had was 480p and looked incredible on my HDTV set. At this time, back in the year 2000, that was a pretty amazing thing. So Sony came along and was talking about how the PS2 has going to be compatible with HDTV, and that supposedly it was going to have some games at 720p and stuff like that. So I went to the e3 of 2000, and I saw the PS2 first hand before it came out. I talked to ton of the Sony people there, and I asked them if it really was going to have HDTV games, and they all said yes. Then the day it came out, I got one, I had the component cable and I hooked it up to my HDTV, and the picture was total crap. Jaggie city to the freaking extreme.

Well, you have to remember that at this time I was totally brainwashed by everything related to HDTV, and as much as I was enjoying my Dreamcast in 480p, the fact that the PS2 didn't have any progressive scan games, that really pissed me off.

I know that it must sound totally stupid to you, but what can I say. I admit that I actually thought that. I know that it's very funny to me now. I can totally apreciate the beauty of non progresssive scan games now. After going retro, all that technological crap kinda evaporated. I still love things to be as technically advanced as possible, but I'm loving San Andreas in my warm Strawberry custard.
    Yeah, it did sound stupid.

But than again, I haven't had a problem out of my 15 year old 22" TV yet, and I can play all my games on it just fine.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Must....................Ignore.................... ....Post......................
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Pac-Man (Level 10) hezeuschrist's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Hezeuschrist

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    Must....................Ignore.................... ....Post......................
    +1. You failed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    without a good game to step too...
    Think of how many weak games you slept through...
    Time's up. Sorry I kept you.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I learned my lesson myself, I came close to selling my systems plenty of times but never did it. Glad that I didnt

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also came back to a PS2 after 2 years of XboX addiction. The XboX library went off in a direction where there was and is barely anything that I want to play. That's okay.

The PS2 has so much software at low prices and the diversity and size of the library is astounding, especially when you factor in backwards compatibility. Like was mentioned, you just have to forget about the limitations of the hardware and enjoy the games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You picked up alot of really good games for the ps2, but man you could have waited on a few of those and picked up a few older ones for dirt cheap. I think you will regret playing San Andreas first as it is a marked improvement over vice city---as vice city was over GTA3. Same with Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Metal Gear Solid.

I found that my love for a particular systems rises and lowers, I went for about 2 years without playing my ps2, now I'm playing that the most (San Andreas..but than NBA street, bought for 5 bucks, dynasty warriors (5 bucks) and a bunch of 'older' games.

I have all three systems, and I think the next go round I will by one system (love it to death) and then buy another ----for much cheaper--- and then buy the last one----for dirt cheap!

edit---I hardly ever play xbox now, 6 months ago it was all xbox, 6 months before that all game cube.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Nevermind.

Chris

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    I just spend thousands and thousands over this last year to get all my old systems back. I learned my lesson. Might as well keep at least one of each system till I die.
    Like I said, I wasn't trying to be critical of your decision, just saying I can't see myself doing it (and what you've said above is why).

I have pre/post days too, but back in high school I sold my NES to buy a leather jacket. The next system I bought after selling my NES was a SNES, which was at least 5 years later, and I've not sold it or any other system since...

(I have two machines I've never even considered selling - my Atari 400 & Atari 800 XL, but I'm sure part of that was that my dad had them during those years when I'd sell anything in order to buy stuff).
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I am very hard pressed to get a PS2. I'm not a Sony fan. I loathe the controls. The loading times are atrocious. On a visual level on its day of release I wondered how the hell this thing could beat out the Dreamcast (which rocked my Casbah). My bro-in-law bought one off of eBay not long after the system released so over its lifespan I was able to sample the PS2 library (trying to keep an open mind). There were a few sparkling gems (GTA 3, Parappa the Rapper 2, Red Faction, ummmmm I can't think of any others) but a lot of the stuff that was touted as "hot" seemed pretty average to me (Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, Tekken Tag, Metal Gear Solid 2 come to mind). Eventually I stopped playing it as did everyone else in the group. A few months ago my brother in law either sold it or traded it in.

Am I missing "great" titles? Maybe, but I really don't care. Between my Xbox and Gamecube (well, mainly Xbox at the moment) my modern console cravings are pretty much satisfied.