Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's been a long time, I shouldna left ya....(long PS2 rant)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM
    I am very hard pressed to get a PS2. I'm not a Sony fan. I loathe the controls. The loading times are atrocious. On a visual level on its day of release I wondered how the hell this thing could beat out the Dreamcast (which rocked my Casbah). My bro-in-law bought one off of eBay not long after the system released so over its lifespan I was able to sample the PS2 library (trying to keep an open mind). There were a few sparkling gems (GTA 3, Parappa the Rapper 2, Red Faction, ummmmm I can't think of any others) but a lot of the stuff that was touted as "hot" seemed pretty average to me (Devil May Cry, Silent Hill 2, Tekken Tag, Metal Gear Solid 2 come to mind). Eventually I stopped playing it as did everyone else in the group. A few months ago my brother in law either sold it or traded it in.

Am I missing "great" titles? Maybe, but I really don't care. Between my Xbox and Gamecube (well, mainly Xbox at the moment) my modern console cravings are pretty much satisfied.

Well, the XBOX provides alot of love, I will admit that. Virtually every multiplatform game is going to sound better and look better on the XBOX. Especially if you have a HDTV and a Dolby Digital soundsystem.

But the PS2 does have it's share or exclusives that are pretty damn compelling.

Right now, I would have to say that Rachet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, is just a fantastic game. And of course San Andreas is a work of art as well.

Those are two very recent PS2 games, that aren't available on XBOX or Cube, and they are 2 of the best games currently available on the planet right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    But the PS2 does have it's share or exclusives that are pretty damn compelling.

Right now, I would have to say that Rachet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal, is just a fantastic game. And of course San Andreas is a work of art as well.

Those are two very recent PS2 games, that aren't available on XBOX or Cube, and they are 2 of the best games currently available on the planet right now.
    I played the original Rachet & Clank. There wasn't anything overly compelling to get me to continue playing it so that pretty much put the kabosh on any interest in the game's sequels. San Andreas is coming to the Xbox next year so I can wait (if I even play it). Plus my general dislike of anything Playstation pretty much takes care of any interest as well. But hey, that's just me .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bumping up an oldie cause I'm curious... So Anthony1, ye of the novel length rants, are you still diggin the PS2?
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

"The main reason I dumped the PS2 was because at the time it didn't have a single game that was progressive scan."

Have you played around with Xploder HDTV yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Blatt
    PSN
    AGBulls

Quote Originally Posted by RARusk View Post
    "The main reason I dumped the PS2 was because at the time it didn't have a single game that was progressive scan."

Have you played around with Xploder HDTV yet?
    Dude, believe me --- Anthony doesn't need that anymore. Note his original post was three years ago. I'm pretty sure he has a PS3 now anyways...I think.
    Parallel universe. Bush, destitute, joins army.

Check out my Gaming Comic: www.GreeneSide.com

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, talk about an oldie but goodie. I read this thing, and man, it seems kinda funny now. That did happen though. I got a slimline PS2 not long after they came out, it was the first time having a PS2 since August 2001. So I didn't have a PS2 for a very long time. I had just missed so many damn games on the PS2, and I wanted to check some of them out. Especially the platformers. The PS2 had the Ratchet series, the Jak series, Sly Cooper, etc, etc. And San Andreas was a huge factor at that time too.

I don't currently own a PS2 right now. I sold my PS2 around September 2005 or so. What happened, is that I got really excited about the upcoming launch of the Xbox 360, and I sold my PS2, two Xbox systems that I had, my GameCube, and all my games and everything. Basically, I knew that when the 360 came out, I was going to hop on that bandwagon big time, and I also knew that I could always revisit the PS2, Xbox and GameCube era at a later date. Even when I was selling all those current gen systems (at the time they were current), I knew that I would get each one of them again at some point. It would just be a matter of time. I would eventually see a Xbox or PS2 or Cube at a thrift store for dirt cheap, and I would pick it up and then revisit it.

Well, funny this thread popped back up, cause just two days ago I bought an Xbox 1 off Craigslist. I got one for $65, plus 2 controllers and 4 games. I figured it was a pretty decent deal, so I said what the heck. I will definitely pick up a PS2 and a Cube at some point too. With the PS2, I'll want a slimline unit, and those still aren't that cheap. If only I could see somebody taking one of them into a GameStop. I'll try to catch them before they walk in an offer them $50 cash. I think GameStop only gives $40 store credit or something. The Cube, I'll probably wait to find at a thrift store for like $35 or so. I do have a PS3, so I could play PS2 games on that, but I don't really have much of a desire to. I'd be more interested in playing a PS1 game on it.

I'm sure in about another 5 years, I'll really be interested in re-visiting games of the last gen, but right now, I'm more into either super next-gen, or old school stuff like TG-16 and SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Well, it is funny how the PS2 is now finally getting some recognition with Sony being such a dufus with the PS3 pricing. I bought one on day one(first new system). My system died four years later, after extensive playing. I now have a slim and have not looked back. After other game systems have died along the wayside, there is the PS2 chugging away with some kick ass games. There is something for everybody, I mean EVERYBODY. The system will not die, and appears to be not affected that much with other next gen systems too bad. If anything, it might get more ports due the the Wii. Here are the ten reasons why I absolutely love the system

1. Tons of games. Racing(Burnout, Gran Turismo)Fighting(Tekken, MK, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter Anniversary, Anthology) RPG
    (Final Fantasy Series, Desgia/Strategy RPG), Reto Compliations(Taito Memories 1,2, Genesis Collection, etc,) Bizarre games( REZ, Katamari, Cookies n Cream, Frequency, etc, etc

2. Still Supported. God of War 2, , Raiden III, Taito Memories 2, Burnout, are just some of the games that have came out in the last 6 months that I have enjoyed. There are more to come, abit not many A+ titles left, but hey the system is going on 7+ years. The Dreamcast lasted 3, The Xbox and Gamecube 5, and that is by a thread.

3. Looks glorius on a standard TV. I have a "Wallmart Special" Phillips 20 inch with component. I did break down and buy component cables for my system, but compared to my other systems hooked up to my TV, the PS2 has the sharpest clean visuals of my Xbox, Wii, and even my 360 that all have component cables.

4. Cheap Ass Games everywhere. Many classic games ranging from 5 to 17.99 used. Many classic retro games that kick ass. The systems games can be found everywhere, and in good quanity. Time to start collecting while you can still find the games.

5. The closest thing we will get to a "retro system". At $129.99 the system will probably be around another couple of years on the shelf. This system will not only be one of the cheapest, but there will be alot of $19.99 budget titles to come out for it in the next couple of years. I look forward to getting on the PS2 collecting banwagon now.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yah know, it's funny. I have recently been revisiting, but doing so with the Dreamcast rather than the PS2. I am still amazed at what this little beast can do...and also amazed at how many really *good* games there are for it. It has also reminded me that it really isn't about what is bigger and better (HDTV, etc), but that good gameplay is what it really is all about. Hopefully we're blessed with many great games like these on this generation of systems.

Insert Coin (Level 0) FoxyGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    grimsalutations
    PSN
    The_Foxy_Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    Am I missing "great" titles?
    Quite frankly, yes. Big time.

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Gitaroo Man, Disgaea... the list goes on.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyGamer View Post
    Quite frankly, yes. Big time.

Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari Damacy, Okami, Gitaroo Man, Disgaea... the list goes on.
    The guy you're quoting wrote that 3 years ago, man

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I'd like the ps2 a whole lot more if i didn't have to import/pirate to play the games i want, and if it would actually read the discs when i did.

Insert Coin (Level 0) FoxyGamer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    grimsalutations
    PSN
    The_Foxy_Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    The guy you're quoting wrote that 3 years ago, man

Prolly should look at that before i make myself look like a jackass

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Oopsie! Forgot to shimmy this to Modern Gaming.

**PUNT**
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is what I can't figure out to save my life. I have a original PS1, a PS1 LCD combo, a fatty PS2, and a PS3. Why do I still want a silver slimline PS2? I was on vacation with some buddies about a month or so ago and at night in the hotel we would get bored. While browsing the local Wal-Mart I almost convinced myself that we needed a silver PS2 to watch movies on. Do any of you think that the PS2 will hit that magical $99 price point anytime soon? Oh well, I guess it will go nicely with that silver PSP I'll inevitably be picking up
    Last edited by 8-bitNesMan; 07-14-2007 at 10:44 AM.
    "What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets! But enough talk... Have at you!"

My feedback thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93213