Thread: Dragon Force 2

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dragon Force 2

WOOHOO! After months of searching, I finally found myself a factory sealed copy of this game for only $70 shipped! My man Jay at Import Games Japan came through for me again! He's become one of my favorite import sellers on ebay. First he hooked me up with a factory sealed copy of Policenauts for only $60 shipped, and now this! I wonder what wonders he'll work for me next? Yeah I know, I could've gotten it alot cheaper used, but that's against my rules! So now I'm really gonna be lost in a language barrier soon, my first import strategy RPG! What was I thinking? Oh yeah, sequel to Dragon Force!

So, help me out here, how hard is it gonna be for me to play this game, am I gonna get anywhere? Are there any English translations? Walkthroughs? FAQ's? I haven't gotten very far in any of my other import strategy games, but now I'm crossing over into import RPG territory, so I'm sure there's got to be alot of help for this game out there somewhere. Where should I look? I can hardly wait for this one to arrive, I may have to get some more RPG's!

You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

remember all menu are in Japanese so unless you can read you will need faq or walkthrough...

personally never used any faq/walkthrough can't say any more than that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I know, but the RPG's do tend to actually get translated, so it's not as bad as all my other import strategy games where I'm stuck just guessing until I learn how to read some kanji or find a friend who can translate the menus for me. I got this mostly just to have it in my collection, but I would like to be able to play through it the best that I can, much more so than any of my other import strategy games. So maybe I'll also be using this one to help me learn how to read Japanese, whenever I finally get off my ass and start doing that. It's just about inevitable for me now, at some point, because I have way too many games like this that I do want to be able to translate now. Scary thought, me learning how to read kanji, but certainly not impossible.

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I remeber some really good guides for it on Gamefaqs, check there. Congrats man, Dragon Force is one of my favorite games of all time! Have fun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like I found just about all that I'm gonna need to know posted here:

http://www.gamespot.com/saturn/strat...e2/review.html

When GameSpot covers an import game beyond just listing it, they do a very nice job, and I prefer them over IGN or any of the other major gaming sites, but unfortunately, they don't fully cover very many imports! At least not the classic systems. I dunno how well they do at covering imports for the current systems, because I don't really keep up with those very much, but I'm glad there's a decent FAQ there for this game, and it sounds like I shouldn't have too much trouble figuring out the menus, since I own the first Dragon Force. I just wish that Sega hadn't pissed off Working Designs before they gave us a translation of this game! If only Sega of America hadn't been so arrogant, WD would've done a very nice US version of this one for us for sure, dammit!

I just checked over at GameFAQ's too and found a partial walkthrough here:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/satur...rce_2_walk.txt

Too bad they obviously never finished it up, like they promised they would!

Get BIT!

Apple (Level 5) Lord Contaminous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Argh! I still don't understand how to play the first one. It's been sitting in my shelf for a year and a half cuz I dont know what the hell I'm doing.

I know how you feel though. I have a couple import RPG's I wanna finish so bad that don't have adequate FAQs or none at all, such as my Tengai Makyo/Far East of Eden games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well it's just gonna keep getting even worse for me, until I finally do get off my ass and learn how to read some Japanese, I'm afraid. Now that I've finally found this one, the next thing I wanna do is start saving up for a complete set of Shining Force 3 games. All 3 scenarios and the bonus disk. Getting all 3 scenarios probably won't be too hard or too expensive, even getting them all factory sealed, but getting the bonus disk will break the bank, especially if I go for a factory sealed one. But I would like to have them all. Then I could start saving up for all 4 of the Langrisser sets. I'm not sure if it's still possible to get all of those factory sealed anymore though, especially not if you try to go for all the limited edition versions. Either way, I'm sure that it would cost a small fortune. I wish that I had enough money to just buy the used lot of them that bighab was selling here recently. Then I could at least try them all out and see how well I like them before I spend a fortune trying to get ultra minty or factory sealed copies of them all. But I already know that I'll love them, so there isn't really much need for me to try them out beforehand.

I do need to start buying used copies to play while I search for new copies though. I miss out on alot of stuff just because I won't let myself buy any used games. It took me forever to find this game new, and I really didn't think that I ever would, so I'm glad that the few people who saw it before I did didn't buy it. I couldn't jump on that BIN button fast enough. I would've paid alot more than that for it. In fact, I'm surprised that it was that cheap, especially considering how much the American version of the first game goes for now. But I'm very glad that it apparently doesn't command a premium like some of the other more popular games like the Shining Force 3 bonus disk does. I really expected that it would, but for some reason it seems to be a game that hardly anybody plays. What I've read so far complains alot that the graphics aren't as colorful as they were in the first game, which does sound a bit disappointing, but I don't really care. I needed at least one import strategy RPG in my collection, so I can't think of a better one to start out with than this one, especially since it's so affordable. At least I'll have it.

Get BIT!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

If you buy all 3 scenes of Shining Force 3 you might still be able to send away for the premium disk for free. I got my copy free a few years back. I am not sure if Camelot is still doing it any more. I still have those Langrisser games if your still interested

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bighab
    If you buy all 3 scenes of Shining Force 3 you might still be able to send away for the premium disk for free. I got my copy free a few years back. I am not sure if Camelot is still doing it any more. I still have those Langrisser games if your still interested
    Don't let this advice get away! I got my brand new premium disc straight from camelot this summer
    This is the greatest gif ever NO!!!!!!!! THE SITE TOOK IT OFF :: :: :: :: :: ::
    Another good one! XD
    A weird flash

Thx to Harima Kenji from Wannabefansubs.net for the Avatar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOW! I will definitely keep this in mind! I'm pretty sure that a complete set of Shining Force 3 disks will be my next import purchase, after I've paid for all the games that I've already ordered. All of my Christmas cash is already gone though, so I'm stuck with what I've got until I sell something or get another windfall. Where is Camelot though? Is that camelot.com or what? Because I could sure get a complete Shining Force 3 set alot faster if I didn't have to pay $100-$200 for the premium disk! That's the most expensive one on ebay!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

WOOHOO! It finally came! This one was a bit slower to arrive than usual, due to a series of events beyond anyone's control, but it's finally here! I think the Tsunami may have slowed it down a bit too. It seems to be alot easier to get stuff into Asia than it is to get stuff out of Asia right now. I hope that all my favorite sellers made it through OK! Anyhow, I see what all the reviews meant about it not being as colorful as the original. That is very sad, but it's still awesome! The music especially is fantastic! I'm gonna have to dig out the original Dragon Force to be able to figure out how to navigate my way through all the menus, but surprisingly the main menu and the options menu are both in English! So, a bit of a learning curve ahead, but I should be able to figure it all out OK without too many problems. I can hardly wait to see more! The cinemas are very dramatic, as one would expect, and beyond the odd dullness of most of the color palette used, it looks absolutely stunning! Boy does it have alot of story in it though! I wish that it had been translated!

BTW, there's two locations on the map that I can't select to start from, are these characters locked or something? I don't know which two they are, but they're both on the northern side of the continent, right next to each other near the center of that part of the world. They don't look like they're grayed out, but they definitely can't be selected yet. And it's been so long since I played the original Dragon Force, I really don't remember very much of anything about it. All I know is, I finally have the sequel, and it ROCKS!

Get BIT!