Thread: Card battle hybrids, the new video game "fad"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Card battle hybrids, the new video game "fad"?

I've noticed that lots of recent games and games in development are using some type of hybrid card system as the main gameplay. Games like Kingdom Hearts: CoM, Baiten Kaitos(sp), and Metal Gear Acid are among the more famous games that are getting the "card battle" treatment. Does anyone else think that card hybrids are becoming a current fad, like cel shading was a few years ago. I haven't played any of the recent card hybrids, so I'm curious how people who have played them feel about them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cel Shading is a form of graphics rendering technology, and it's going to be around for a very, very long time.

"Card Battle" systems are a fad. For good or for ill, that's just what they are. If there are games using Card Battle systems 10 years from now, I will be very surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker M
    Cel Shading is a form of graphics rendering technology, and it's going to be around for a very, very long time.

"Card Battle" systems are a fad. For good or for ill, that's just what they are. If there are games using Card Battle systems 10 years from now, I will be very surprised.
    Yea I agree, but there was a spurt of Cel shaded games a few years back, with most of the big name franchises releasing a cel shaded game, such as Zelda, Breath of Fire, and half of the gamecube library. Games were cel shaded that probally shouldn't have been, and the reason for it seemed to be that it was "hip" and "cool" at that time, which to me makes it a "fad".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Ugh. I hope it's a fad that goes away. I don't get the appeal. What's the difference between "casting a spell" and "using a card"? Why change the idea of "casting a spell"? Other than adding a type of virtual collectability along with a possible layer of randomization (if you can only use cards dealt to you and can't select any card in your collection) there really isn't a point I can see other than to attract those who are into CCGs into playing these games.

Of course I could be very wrong so if anyone could explain these systems I'd appreciate it.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is only one card battle game for me...and it really needs a port/remake or update...

SNK Vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Promophile
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker M

Yea I agree, but there was a spurt of Cel shaded games a few years back, with most of the big name franchises releasing a cel shaded game, such as ... Breath of Fire... Games were cel shaded that probally shouldn't have been, and the reason for it seemed to be that it was "hip" and "cool" at that time.
    See I would have thought Cel Shading was the logical medium for Breath of Fire DQ because it has always been a 2D series with a distinct art style. I mean compare the character models of DQ with the character art from BoF3 and 4, I'd say Cell Shading was definately the way to go.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts
    There is only one card battle game for me...and it really needs a port/remake or update...

It needs to be liscensed out to other companies maybe...Nintendo vs Sega cardfighters would be infinately awesome. Although I couldn't see Sonic or mario being more than 600, 700 BP. Giga Bowser and Perfect Chaos for the 1500 guys maybe.

Alternatively, maybe i should look into hacking this game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a slight side note, the card batle aspect of Kingdom Hearts for GBA is more window dressing than anything else. Sure, it creates a limitation in what you have on hand in terms of attacks per round, but the game still feels surprisingly like its PS2 big brother.

Card games in general are here to stay, and think they will continue to be a niche in the strategy video game realm. I'm not a fan, but can see why someone would be.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by klausien
    On a slight side note, the card batle aspect of Kingdom Hearts for GBA is more window dressing than anything else. Sure, it creates a limitation in what you have on hand in terms of attacks per round, but the game still feels surprisingly like its PS2 big brother.

Card games in general are here to stay, and think they will continue to be a niche in the strategy video game realm. I'm not a fan, but can see why someone would be.
    I agree. the card battle game is not really a fad. It's been around for some tmie. I first got acquainted with this type of style playing etherlords II for the PC. It's actually quite engaging. Anyone who is into PC games should check it out. More info can be found here:

http://www.etherlords.com/
    There Can Be Only One!
    ---AWESOME TRADERS---
    maxlords, vintagegamecrazy, [-Sentinel-], Rugal, vision89, stargate, gamergary, Nick, Zmweasel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I remember card battling being around on that one dragonball RPG on the Super Famicom, so I can't really call it a fad.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pick up Culdcept. It's one of the best card battlers and PS2 games out there, and it's only $8 used at EB right now.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Ghouls_'N'_Ghosts

It needs to be liscensed out to other companies maybe...Nintendo vs Sega cardfighters would be infinately awesome. Although I couldn't see Sonic or mario being more than 600, 700 BP. Giga Bowser and Perfect Chaos for the 1500 guys maybe.

Alternatively, maybe i should look into hacking this game.
    you know what? that would be the shit, I'd be all over that. I think it's long time they make a Nintendo Vs. Sega game
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Didn't Tactics Ogre have cards and whatnot? It wasn't the core of the battle system, but it was there nonetheless.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez
    Pick up Culdcept. It's one of the best card battlers and PS2 games out there, and it's only $8 used at EB right now.
    Culdecept II for DC pissed me off, it changed my yellow VMU symbol without asking me, and I can't format that card as it has my good PSO characters on it.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    Didn't Tactics Ogre have cards and whatnot? It wasn't the core of the battle system, but it was there nonetheless.
    I think you're thinking of Ogre Battle. The only cards in Tactics Ogre are the ones that killed off enemies leave behind that can give you a slight bonus to a certain stat if you pick 'em up.

As for Baten Kaitos, it's its own animal. It's nothing like the traditional "card battle" genre. It's just an unusual RPG that happens to have cards. It works really well, and I think the card aspect adds to the fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm playing my way through Kingdom Hearts COM at the moment, and although hard to understand and control at first, I think i'm starting to get used to it!

I do find KH: COM a little easy though, but that's probably because it's a GBA game...

And it's annoying when you run out of cards and have to "Reload" them before you can attack again...

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, but the New industry fad is Normal Mapping... gross

Currently playing in my dreams: The Brutal Balad of Fangus Klot (Xbox) Citizen Siege (Xbox 360) Hand of Odd (Xbox 360)
    -----
    R.I.P. Oddworld Inhabitants - Long Live the Independent Developer!