Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Xbox...General Questions...

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Broken Xbox...General Questions...

Upon Getting home and placing the "XBox Live Gamer" disc (gift) and playing Ms Pacman on my older Thomson Xbox,the game froze while trying to get back to the menu..
    Something went caput..It will no longer read any game disc..or DVD

I tried what I could..Opened it....cleaned lens etc...,.Nothing..

It's seen it's days...
    Problem is:..All my saved games/music is in the old broken Xbox....I have hardly anything saved in the newer Xbox..

Anything I can do to retrieve all those tons of saves etc...?

What I'm going to do is go buy a new Xbox this week..I need to have two..(Son)

But,..
    What are my options?
    What do I do with the Broken one..Do they take them as partial trade it for a new one..?
    I'd like to spend less then I have to if Possiible,but I'm not into any trickery..

What do the new Xboxes cost these days..?Would they even have them in stock due to the holidays..?

I'd appreciate any suggestions,info help etc..?..Thanks..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Broken Xbox...General Questions...

Need to have two XBoxes huh? Hmm. I'd see if somebody can't hook you up with a new drive, since keeping those saves seems to be a big issue here. Good luck with that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get yourself a new drive. They are extremely easy to replace. I replaced my sorry ass thomsom with a modified PC drive. Samsung one. I foorget the model number. I paid 85 dollars for it. Great Drive. I have also done a few other mods whil changing my drive you may want to look into. I replaced my IDE cable,(Allows games to load a bit quicker)" put in a heat sink chip, and also got more power out of my fan. total cost of drive and the other exrtras=$100.00. Check the llama for everything sans the drive. I got the drive of E-Bay.

Thomson drive last about 1-2 years from what I remeber reading. I can't believe they still use them.I myself would get a samsung to replace. Does not have to be the PC one, but, it's just so cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So you just need your saved games off the old HD? Hmm.. I'm not 100% sure if your xbox needs to be modded or not. But you should be able to backup your old drive to your PC. I did that when I first modded mine. I was certain I was going to screw something up.

Anyway like was already mentioned a new drive is actually cheaper then a new xbox.

ask at www.xbox-scene.com I'm someone there can help you out.

Insert Coin (Level 0) bunbunz23's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had the same problem with my Xbox last week. My Xbox will read my old games but will come up with the disc is damaged error message when I try new release games like Halo 2 and Star Wars KOTR II. I told Ebgames about the problem and they said they will give me 70 store credit for my system because they recondition the used systems they receive form consumers. I did this last week so I would give it a try if you do not have luck with the other options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Thank You everyone..I really appreciate your help.

I'm not really good at switching Drives/taking apart these so I decided to list on Ebay as Broken..
    With a Mint box for it/not opened paperwork and baggies..Cables but NO controller.
    (I want to get rid of this headache system sittng here now)

I'm about to list it now..

I don't know anything about taking these apart..etc and don't have the time right now.
    I have some old Disc drives around that I think came out of a Dell Computer..Not sure on any of that.

I'm just going to have to start over on the saves...Play everything again someday.

I called Gamestop..They said they pay $60.00 for a broken system..But I think the guy didn't want to be bothered.
    EB says $30.00

Hopefully I can get more on Ebay...Just so I can take that off in the cost of buying a new one..
    I can't find a "game store" that has any in stock....Someplace like Walmart,or Target should have them..
    At least by the time I get paid for the auction.(if)

Insert Coin (Level 0) lakeflaccid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The X-Box will still boot into the dashboard? Why don't you buy an X-Box memory card and copy the saves off the harddrive?

I think that's possible...but I might be mistaken.

You'll probably have to do it in more than one step (fill up the memory card, copy, delete, fill, copy, delete).

Good luck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by lakeflaccid
    The X-Box will still boot into the dashboard? Why don't you buy an X-Box memory card and copy the saves off the harddrive?

I think that's possible...but I might be mistaken.

You'll probably have to do it in more than one step (fill up the memory card, copy, delete, fill, copy, delete).

Good luck.

Thanks..

I have two Memory Cards..The Xbox won't allow for the saves off the harddrive to be transferred this way..

EDIT:

Listed..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8157307874

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn man. Sorry to hear that. If I was local, I would have switched out your drives free of charge. It really is not hard at all. Ah well, good luck with a new one.

If I were you, I would buy a used/refurbed one. Check the disk drive before you get it. Try and get yourself a Samsung drive. Much more reliable.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got a broken xbox(thomson) that makes cranking sound's ...as if some gear is loose(or damage).. but iam too stupid to open it up to see it ( i usually forget how to put it back together x_x ) any help ??
    GOOD SELLER'S: lone_monster, *BUYER"S**FantasiaWHT , The_Chosen_One, max 330 mega, DDCecil, video_game_addict, optic_85, **underexposed+ **, Querjek, buffquinn, Crush Crawfish, The Collector, pseudonym, bobdrywalls , charitycasegreg, y-bot, Captain Yashiro, ** Lady Jaye**,, buttasuperb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by spoon
    Damn man. Sorry to hear that. If I was local, I would have switched out your drives free of charge. It really is not hard at all. Ah well, good luck with a new one.

If I were you, I would buy a used/refurbed one. Check the disk drive before you get it. Try and get yourself a Samsung drive. Much more reliable.
    Thanks man..

Anyway that I could tell without opening the system what drive it is?when go to purchase it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No.

FYI I sell new Xbox drives. All makes. Thomson, Philips, Samsung.

Your Xbox is an easy fix.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have two Memory Cards..The Xbox won't allow for the saves off the harddrive to be transferred this way.
    What do you mean? Why can't you copy the saves onto a memory card? I know KOTOR's saves are about 25 megabytes each so they won't copy, but most of them should transfer. If you have a lot of saves, what I would recommend is connecting your Xbox controller to your PC and using your memory card like an Action Replay by getting the AR drivers. Then, you can back up your saves on your PC, which will let you erase saves from the memory card to make room for more. I'll post some links to let you know how to do this if you're interested.

Anyway, I don't know if you can tell what drive you'll get without opening it, but what you can do is look at the manufacturing date near the barcode. If it was made this year it's almost certainly a Samsung.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No you can't tell without opening it. Just ask them if they could power up the system and ope the disc tray. You can tell by the shap of the disc tray. Samsung is the only one that has two little holes on either side of the tray. I forget the link for a pic of each drive. Has been posted on Dp quite a few times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    I have two Memory Cards..The Xbox won't allow for the saves off the harddrive to be transferred this way.
    What do you mean? Why can't you copy the saves onto a memory card? I know KOTOR's saves are about 25 megabytes each so they won't copy, but most of them should transfer. If you have a lot of saves, what I would recommend is connecting your Xbox controller to your PC and using your memory card like an Action Replay by getting the AR drivers. Then, you can back up your saves on your PC, which will let you erase saves from the memory card to make room for more. I'll post some links to let you know how to do this if you're interested.

Anyway, I don't know if you can tell what drive you'll get without opening it, but what you can do is look at the manufacturing date near the barcode. If it was made this year it's almost certainly a Samsung.

What do you mean? Why can't you copy the saves onto a memory card? I know KOTOR's saves are about 25 megabytes each so they won't copy, but most of them should transfer.

I just can't seem to send them to the memory card...
    I wanted to transfer all my HALO progress to the memory card to put it on my newer Xbox..
    I can't find a way to put any of it on the card..Nor a lot of other game saves .
    Nothing shows up to transfer them...

It either shows the info in the HD or Memory card....

I may have a few games that allow for this transfer but I have to find out which ones they are .

I know I have over 125 different game saves alone on this Xbox..

I'll post some links to let you know how to do this if you're interested.
    Yes..interested,thanks

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll

I'm not really good at switching Drives/taking apart these so I decided to list on Ebay as Broken..
    With a Mint box for it/not opened paperwork and baggies..Cables but NO controller.

I don't know anything about taking these apart..etc and don't have the time right now.
    I have some old Disc drives around that I think came out of a Dell Computer..Not sure on any of that.

I'm just going to have to start over on the saves...Play everything again someday.

I called Gamestop..They said they pay $60.00 for a broken system..But I think the guy didn't want to be bothered.
    EB says $30.00

Hopefully I can get more on Ebay...Just so I can take that off in the cost of buying a new one..
    I can't find a "game store" that has any in stock....Someplace like Walmart,or Target should have them..

I can get u ur saves if you live in toronto. Free no charge!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hold on a second. This might be a stupid question, but are you trying to copy the data while you're in the game? You do know that you have to transfer the saves in the dashboard, right?

Okay, if you want to connect your Xbox controller to your PC, you need to do two things: make or buy an adapter, and download a driver for it. The Xbox controller is really a USB device, but the connector isn't the same shape. If you cut and splice the wires for the breakaway cable and a USB cable, you can make it fit a USB port on your PC. The colors are even the same. Here's how: http://www.rc55.com/xboxpad.php

There are several different drivers hobbyists have written that you can use to get it working on your PC, but the one I recommend is XBCD (XBox Controller Driver) from somebody who goes by the name of RedCl0ud: http://phaseone.sytes.net or http://www.redcl0ud.com He also has drivers for the remote control (in the DVD playback kit), the Live headset, and the Music Mixer microphone. Warning: he also has a driver for the memory card, but it is NOT for transferring saves to the Xbox. Rather, it's a driver for using the memory card as a USB key to store data. If you install RedCl0ud's driver for the memory card, it will reformat the card in a way that makes it incompatable with the Xbox, so don't use it unless you want to use one of your memory cards as a USB key for your PC.

After you have the controller connected to your PC and the driver for it installed, insert the memory card in it and install the Action Replay drivers available at http://us.codejunkies.com under "support." Then, using the Action Replay interface, you can backup your saves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrexl
    Hold on a second. This might be a stupid question, but are you trying to copy the data while you're in the game? You do know that you have to transfer the saves in the dashboard, right?

Okay, if you want to connect your Xbox controller to your PC, you need to do two things: make or buy an adapter, and download a driver for it. The Xbox controller is really a USB device, but the connector isn't the same shape. If you cut and splice the wires for the breakaway cable and a USB cable, you can make it fit a USB port on your PC. The colors are even the same. Here's how: http://www.rc55.com/xboxpad.php

There are several different drivers hobbyists have written that you can use to get it working on your PC, but the one I recommend is XBCD (XBox Controller Driver) from somebody who goes by the name of RedCl0ud: http://phaseone.sytes.net or http://www.redcl0ud.com He also has drivers for the remote control (in the DVD playback kit), the Live headset, and the Music Mixer microphone. Warning: he also has a driver for the memory card, but it is NOT for transferring saves to the Xbox. Rather, it's a driver for using the memory card as a USB key to store data. If you install RedCl0ud's driver for the memory card, it will reformat the card in a way that makes it incompatable with the Xbox, so don't use it unless you want to use one of your memory cards as a USB key for your PC.

After you have the controller connected to your PC and the driver for it installed, insert the memory card in it and install the Action Replay drivers available at http://us.codejunkies.com under "support." Then, using the Action Replay interface, you can backup your saves.
    Thanks for the info..

Yes,tried to transfer somes saves while in the dashboard before the system blew...I wanted to have certain game saves on both Xboxes like Halo/Halo 2
    Now,it's the only way too since I can't get any games to boot up..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

[quote="PS2Hawk"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll

EB says $30.00

I can get u ur saves if you live in toronto. Free no charge!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Thanks everyone....I cancelled my auction...I'm going to keep it and fix it...

(I Feel better about doing It this way)