Thread: The concept of portable home consoles

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The concept of portable home consoles

I really think that all video game system manufacturers should really take a page from Sony's book.

When Sony released the re-designed playstation as the PSone, they definitely knew what they were doing. They made it incredibly small and compact and very light as well. They also included the little holes for the screws of a LCD screen to attatch to.

Then they released their own LCD screen that perfectly matched the PSone.

So they definitely had semi-portability in mind. Then there was a 3rd party battery pack, and the PSone was actually fully portable, although much more bulky and heavier than was originally the idea. The battery life also left quite a bit to be desired, but the PSone can be made into a truly portable machine. Pretty freaking sweet if you ask me.

Then you have the Nintendo GameCube. Here is the second system that may have been designed with the thought of a LCD screen in mind. The system is so small and compact, that a LCD screen just made perfect sense, but Nintendo never came out with their own screen, they just allowed 3rd parties to do it. But now you have GameCube screens and GameCube battery packs.

So with the GameCube, you can have it totally portable as well. Certainly when you add the Battery Pack, the Cube becomes a small but very tall Cube, but it is indeed a portable.

Now you have the release of the new PStwo slimline version. And coincedentally, there are two little screw holes on the back of it. The PStwo is incredibly small, and incredibly thin and lightweight, so it's only natural that a LCD screen a battery pack are on the way.

It really is a shame that the Dreamcast wasn't more successfull, because Sega possibly could have done the same thing with that system. They could have made it much smaller and more compact, and then come out with a little lcd screen for it.

Looking at the XBOX, I'm not so sure that Microsoft will ever try to radically shrink the original XBOX. I wonder if they could somehow make an XBOX that didn't use a hard drive. Certain games might no longer work with this particular XBOX, but I don't think that would be too big a deal. The XBOX in it's current form is a freaking tank, so it would take a small miracle for Microsoft to shrink it enough to make it a feasable system to be portable, with a screen and a battery pack.

I guess anything is possible, but I'm not expecting a super small XBOX anytime soon. I'm sure that Microsoft will eventually have a redesign of the original XBOX, and I'm sure it will be quite a bit smaller, but certainly it can't get anywhere as small as the PStwo is.

But looking to the next wave of systems, I really hope that Microsoft and Nintendo take a look at what Sony is doing, in coming out with re-releases of their systems to make them much smaller and compact. This allows the system to take up much less space, fit into areas that maybe was impossible before, and ultimately much more portable with a possible LCD screen and Battery Pack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think Micro will release a smaller Xbox given how soon the next xbox is coming.

Granted Sony relewased the PSone after the PS2 came out but keep in mind the PSX was the most popular system at the time. Given the Xboxs distant 2nd place I'd bet well never see a mini box.

I for one would love for sony to come out with a LCD for the PStwo I might buy them if they came out wit the screen. I have the PSone combo and it is a godsend for work, makes the lonly night much easier to bare.

Oh does anyone know of a portable LCD screen that works with the DC. I would really like to take that on the road.
    (Oo (xxx) oO) (Oo (xxx) oO)
    .o xxxxxxxx o . o xxxxxxxx o

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its kind of funny that the Vectrex was intended to be portable.It has a handle, and a carrying case can be found as well. I never even MOVE my Vectrex unless I have to.
    Support Medical Marijuana

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I think a better example would be the Sega Nomad, which is not only compact like the tiny PSOne but you don't even have to buy a separate monitor for it. You can play it on the go or plug it into a TV without any additional peripherals.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a portable dreamcast. It is not official, but really nice:

http://www.gbax.com/treamcast.html
    http://www.success-hk.com/review/pdc/

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i remember they were going to release xbox version 1.5 which was suppose to be half the size, be released with true fantasy live....that never happened..and doubt it ever will
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com