Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: "Rare" (or more uncommon) Gamecube Games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Default "Rare" (or more uncommon) Gamecube Games?

I have just decided to start collecting GC games, and wasn't able to find much regarding GC oddities by searching.

I know that Resident Evil 2/3 go for a pretty good amount. And it seems that Backyard Baseball may be uncommon, according to eBay sellers. I also thought I may have heard of a Phantasy Star title that is rare.

Can anyone confirm any of this? And does anyone want to help assemble a list?

Thanks

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Cubivore is a title to look out for, especially since most games by Atlus seem to go up in value over the years. Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 and 2 (not the re-release "Plus") can be hard to find.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know Phantasy Star Online Episode 1 and 2 (original) was rare for a while, could be still until PSO PLUS arrived

RE Code Veronica X is probably the next one to be rare along the lines of RE2/3

Zelda Collector's Edition fetches a better value then Zelda Master Quest as well
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread has been done before, but we'll let it slide.

- SlugFest 2003
    - Disney SPorts series
    - Ikaruga
    - Zelda Collectors edition
    - Bust A Move 200
    - NCAA Basketball 2003
    - Resident Evil 2,3, and Code Veronica

Cubivore is common!
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600

- SlugFest 2003
    - Disney SPorts series
    - Ikaruga
    - Bust A Move 200
    - NCAA Basketball 2003

Cubivore is common!
    Ikaruga is percieved to be rare, but it had at least two printings! It sold at retail for 19.99 for several months and was widely available. I have to agree that Bust a Move 3000 is rare, as is NCAA 2K3. Slugfest 2004 is harder to find than 2003--at least in my experience.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gauntlet Dark Legacy
    Always looking for more SMS. And Resident Evil too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, you should get Max Play Vol. 1 it's the only unlicensed GC title...
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600

- SlugFest 2003
    - Disney SPorts series
    - Ikaruga
    - Bust A Move 200
    - NCAA Basketball 2003

Cubivore is common!
    My apologies. I searched the forums but didn't find anything prior to posting.

Thanks for the responses, and can anyone point me in the direction of this older topic which I can't seem to locate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zelda Collectors Edition is not rare or uncommon, and probably won't be. Even though it was a pack-in exclusive, a lot of people bought Gamecubes during the promotion and it was included as a bonus with a $20 subscription to Nintendo Power for a short time as well. It will wind up like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy II & III on the SNES: Not rare or uncommon, but demand will make it pricey.

I have yet to see a copy of Cubivore anywhere. The closest I've came is missing one that popped up at a Gamestop because someone beat me to it. I think that will be one of the rarest GC games in the future, if not the rarest.

As for variants, I think the Player's Choice versions of Burnout and Dave Mirra 2 will be uncommon - I've only seen a PC Burnout twice and a PC Dave Mirra once. Blame it on Acclaim. This won't mean anything unless you're a variant collector though, and even then they won't be worth much.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to collect GameCube, I'll help you out.

- Cubivore (Runs for $25-40)
    - Bust-a-Move 3000 (Runs anywhere from $25-90)
    - NCAA Basketball 2K3 (Sealed copies can top off at $125)
    - MLB Slugfest 2004 (Goes around $50, I sold a sealed one about 3 months ago for $70)
    - Reisdent Evil 2 (Probably the rarest of all the GCN RE games)
    - Reisdent Evil 3 (Not far behinf RE 2)

Games that are not rare!

- Gauntlet Dark Legacy
    Prices dropped like hot cakes, no one really cares about it, and in the end isn't that hard to find.

- Resident Evil: Code Veronica
    Just recenently had another print run and can be found at almost any Best Buy for $14.99.

- Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
    It's not rare, at all, it just has demand, which is why people pay for such crazy amounts for it, I mean it is four Zelda games, who doesn't want that?

- Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Again, not rare, just has demand, well it did until it got another print not too long ago. Easy to get ahold of now.

- Phantasy Star Online I and II
    It had demand, seeing as how it was the only online title for GC for awhile, but then SEGA released the Plus package and totally destroyed any price this baby had.

Games that will most likely become rare.

- Gotcha Force
    Look at the game, it never hit mainstream, reviewers hated it, and it went on retail for $40. Only recently did Capcom drop its price to $19.99, but good luck finding it.

- Top Angler
    The only fishing game for the GameCube and currently racks in around $30 on eBay everytime. Didn't sell well and was published by an unknown company, get this one while you can.

- Go! Go! Hypergrind
    Another Atlus title (the people who published Cubivore), it is extremely Japanese and is said to be the worst selling game for the GameCube. It was too violent to be kiddy, and was too cartoony to be mainstream, it went no where.

- Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc
    Had a small print run and can fetch up to $50 on eBay, they have demand seeing as how it's own of the only ways to get the elusive Jirachi Pokemon.

- Disney's Sports Titles
    Were really uncommon in the states and didn't sell well. From what I know the Soccer title did fairly well in Europe so PAL copies are a snap to find, but to this say I've never seen one in a retailer aside from one copy of the basketball game. Oh and don't mix up the skateboarding titles, the one made by Activision is simple to locate, but the one by Konami could cost you quite a bit.

- Mickey and Minnie's Hide and Sneak
    The follow up to Magical Mirror didn't do nearly as well, Nintendo didn't publish it and it was completely kid orientied sold like crap too.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I'll agree on the games you said are NOT rare... Skies of Arcadia used to be hard to find and then BOOOMMM, about 6 months ago all these copies started appearing second hand in shops. I think there was at least one copy at EVERY shop that QoF and I went to when I was in the US last month.

Didn't realise Bust-a-Move 3000 was hard to find... is that the US name for Super Puzzle Bobble AllStars (as I have that, Japanese release you see)?

As for the Disney titles, it's ironic you mention only seeing the Basketball title in a shop, as that's the only one of the four I need! I got Football off eBay, and Soccer and Skateboarding from shops last month (and all for under $20 each).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got RE:2 for £10 of uk ebay and I was apsolutely devostated that it hadnt been updated at all. I should have looked into it more.

Strawberry (Level 2) ChronoTriggaFoo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How much does NCAA Basketball 2K3 for the Gamecube demand? I looked on eBay and found not one for sale or that had been sold. However I found two for sale at a local Blockbuster for $14.99, so this has got me thinking...
    ***If you have any Transformers toys or Three Investigators books, let me know.***

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Usually goes for around $40 on eBay. Two you say? Well that's quite fortunate...

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoTriggaFoo
    How much does NCAA Basketball 2K3 for the Gamecube demand? I looked on eBay and found not one for sale or that had been sold. However I found two for sale at a local Blockbuster for $14.99, so this has got me thinking...
    Snap those up quick, especially at that price. I've found two TOTAL so far. It took me at least a month of hard looking locally before I tracked down my first copy, and that was right after it came out. Really tough to find, period. You will likely be able to make all of your money back and then some by just selling one copy if its in good shape. Are you sure its the basketball? I see the football a lot, and it makes me do a double-take every time, because it looks just like the basketball.

One game that I've had a tough time landing is Spirits and Spells. Not worth much, nor do I think there will ever be much of a demand, but its one that I've been trying to locate for some time.
    -Dobie
    NES, SNES, & Gameboy Collector

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Spirits and Spells? Best ask QoF to find you a copy then, we saw three I think whilst we were shopping last month. So we both got a copy

But yeah it's one of those I saw and thought "Hmmm... is that hard to find?". We weren't sure. So we got it anyways heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmm.

Let me just say that there aren't ANY Gamecube games that cannot be found easily - either with a little searching or on eBay.

Having said that, there are a couple that will take a little patience to find, but can still be found almost any day.

The two-disc reissue of Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike. This was a Target exclusive, and had a VERY SHORT production run. Identifiable by the Orange sticker on the outside of the shrinkwrap (!!!) - this reissue came in a two disc snap case with the game disc AND the Star Wars bonus disc. The bonus disc was the one that you could receive in it's own snap case by pre-ordering the game, and has the "Original 1983 Star Wars Arcade Game" on it.

I believe that this is one of the hardest to find releases for the system, and since I do the Gamecube Online Rarity Guide here at DP, I spend a lot of time on the subject.

The Disney sports titles (especially Football) are difficult to find, mostly because of a smaller print run, people are holding on to them, and because they are actually a lot of fun to play!

Sega Sports NCAA Basketball 2K3. Despite the speculation, it is comfirmed that there was a much lower print run for the Gamecube than the other two systems. Also, as this was the last Sega Sports title, production runs were already shorter than normal. Make no mistake about it - this is THE ONLY title that deserves to be classified as a future rarity. Keep in mind, it's rare only in context with other "Next Gen" systems (Cube, PS2, XBOX) - not rare like games for the 2600.

Spirits and Spells is actually a harder to find title. This title, like many others from small publishers (Gotcha Force, Space Raiders, etc) that never make it to normal retail outlets (Target, etc) are usually going to be harder to find down the road. They are always priced at $19.99 or less, and can only (usually) be found new at Gamestops, EB Games, Electronics Boutique and the like. They almost always have lower print runs, and many of them are doomed for future markdown bins. Does it make them rare? NO. Will they be harder to find someday? Possibly, especially in near mint condition.

The Dave Mirra "Player's Choice" reissue. I have never seen this in person, and would love to see a pic to confirm that it's actually out there. Obviously for variant hunters, if it's out there, I suspect that it may have been released regionally (as it's an older title, so to speak.)

Bust-a-Move 3000 isn't rare, but it is a little harder to come by.

I'm not exactly sure why the MLB Slugfest 2004 is selling for $70 - I can't even fathom why people would pay above initial retail for a game that recently sold at Circuit City for $4.99. Unless I'm missing something, I wouldn't consider this hard to find at all.

There are some titles that I believe will be harder to find SOMEDAY:

Freestyle Street Soccer (if this exists without the Blockbuster Video logo on it - it will be even harder to find.)

Pokemon BOX - although available on eBay, this is a Pokemon Center exclusive title, and did not have a print run like other "Pokemon" games.

Mortal Kombat - Deadly Alliance (Adema cd release) - identifiable by the yellow circle on the insert, this issue of the MK game is already very hard to find. If you're not a variant hunter, this obviously won't interest you.

Resident Evil "Pure Evil" 2-pack. Even though the games are the same player's choice games that you can buy separately, the "box" itself will probably be thrown away by many a buyer. The cardboard isn't very thick, and will probably suffer damage over the years.

Batman-Rise of Sin Tzu (Limited Edition) - the Gamecube release of this title comes in an oversized cardboad box with a Commemorative Lithograph. Like the "Pure Evil" box described above, this box is doomed to suffer a similar fate. Also, it was limited to a production run of 10,000.

The 1080 Avalanche (Walmart exclusive release) has a red "sash" on the bottom of the cover. It includes video of actual extreme snowboarding and has music tracks on it. This was released only at Walmart (confirmed) and will eventually be more difficult to locate than it's more common regular issue.

For now, that about does it.

Any questions, let me know!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another game I can see becoming rare is Alien Hominid, I don't think it's selling quite well. It's a pretty good game though.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Was the production run on NCAA Basketball 2k3 just 5000? Wondering how many actually sold. Important for my current article

Cube Batman Rise was produced as limited to 10,000 units? Curious that... if only from the point of view that in the small area QoF and I trawled last month (some 25-30 shops) we came across 3 of these, all for no more than $15 each. Perhaps I should have gotten one. QoF certainly did.

Freestyle Street Soccer can still be ordered online at places such as VG+ where the scan they use is devoid of any BB exclusiveness (but I remember I said that when the discussion about whether it was totally a BB exclusive came around).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    Freestyle Street Soccer (if this exists without the Blockbuster Video logo on it - it will be even harder to find.)
    My Game Crazy has one of those BRAND NEW, I was completely suprised because I knew it was a Blockbuster exclusive, and this one does not have a BB logo on it, should I get it?
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.