Thread: Paper Mario (GameCube)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Paper Mario (GameCube)

Kicks ass!

Anyone else liking it? Nay, LOVING it?

Must return to work, will talk about it later. I wanna hear your thoughts.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I'm just now taking a break from it. And I have to say I'm loving it as much as the original.

Funniest minigame I've ever played has to be the Super Bowser Bros. sequance, it's like playing Trogdor, but you know, better since it's a Mario parody. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I loved it, I'm on the final boss which I just can't beat, but the game is amazing, really fun, and I HATE RPG's, I never played the original but I loved Mario and Luigi and Super Mario RPG, and this one is just as good if not better. Buy the game.
    Mostly just play Nintendo 64. If you've got games PM me! Cart only.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I finally got it on Christmas from my girlfriends parents as one of my christmas presents from them. (Although I SHOULD have bought it in October when it was released or purchased it in the mean time)

I will be playing it when I get home later tonight though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is awesome, I passed it about 2 weeks ago. I am still going through to finish off all the sidequests, though. There aren't many RPGs that let you continue playing after you beat it.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

I bought it today, but I'm refraining from tearing the shrink wrap so I will force myself to finish Pokemon Colluseum first.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought it was pretty good, but there was just something missing and i cant put my finger on it . It didnt have the magic of the 64 version. If I had to rank all 4 of the Mario based RPGs it would be:

Mario RPG SNES
    Superstar Saga GBA
    Paper Mario 1
    Paper Mario 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never played the N64 version. Back when it came out, I had some sort of anger towards the fact it was "Paper", "Different looking" and "Not Mario RPG-like" and for some reason this bugged the shit out of me.

So I never got it. Never asked for it. And I am kicking myself. I have you know, grown to love games that are different. And now that I WANT the game, it's so expensive to acquire. Damn N64 prices. I will have to one day buy the original... AFTER I beat SuperStar Saga. I am to the final boss-ish there, so it's soon. But I still want to get that one done first as well as this one before I decide to invest in an N64 game. Especially if it costs me like $30. Also one day, I'm gonna have to sit down and work through the Cartridge version of RPG and beat it. When I first had it, I played all the way to Smithy but never beat him. But now we have the interweb and lots of FAQ's if I get stuck, so I should be able to finish it right.

I dunno, all four have their own feel to them. I guess Paper Mario is the only "Series" here as they're the only ones similar to each other. I don't mind, but I hope the next RPG starring Mario brings a new feel. And is on a console. Though, I will NOT be opposed to a Paper Mario 3. Especially if it has the same feel as this one.

I am surprised at how many party members you get in the game. I am just about to add Bobbery to my party. Before that it was the weird purple ghosty chick. That was unexpected. Before that, it was the fat cloud. It's like everyone Mario meets joins his team. "Joins his what? What's his team?" Not that I mind, I love the diversity. And when I get the badge, I'll be able to swap them in and out during battle all the time and use them right away. So it's really cool. I just have a fear I'm close to finishing the game too soon. Already to Star 5. Whatever.

I still need this soundtrack! Someone must have released it! It's too good not to be released! Like the original SMRPG.

Start with file 1? Yep. Here I go back in.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Re: Paper Mario 2 soundtrack...

I'd keep my eye on this site
    http://cdjapan.jp/index.html

Nintendo hasn't released any US soundtracks since the N64 days, so importing one from Japan is your only bet. I haven't seen a PM2 soundtrack yet, but you'll never know if it will pop up someday.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    I never played the N64 version. Back when it came out, I had some sort of anger towards the fact it was "Paper", "Different looking" and "Not Mario RPG-like" and for some reason this bugged the shit out of me.
    Not a direct reply to your quote, but it's what got me thinking.

Anyway I played, and finished Super Mario RPG long before I ever "discovered" Paper Mario (I say discovered, because while I've known of the game's existence since it's release I was oblivious to the fact it was an RPG). While I certainly liked Super Mario RPG, it is one of my favorite snes RPGs, I loved Paper Mario more because it has a lot more refrences and tie ins to the NES Mario games. Super Mario RPG, as the name would imply, is solely based on Super Mario World, which is my least favorite 2D Mario game. So yeah, since Paper Mario relates to ALL the Mario games I think I appreciate the humour a lot more.

It was also pretty cool when I tried Mario 64 for the first time on the DS and realized that the castle in Paper Mario is identical to the one in that game. I know I'm slow, but I got it eventually.

So umm... what game are the Twilight Town people from? I don't recognize them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dunno, but I love the music. We'd have to figure out exactly what they are first.

I too love all the super references in the game. But I enoyed RPG as well because it was still Mario. Funny, I don't get into Final Fantasy, but my favorite enemy in that game was Culex which was based on FF.

I think it's all part of Nintendo's rediscovering of their roots. They realize we want the games to feel more connnected and not all be completely different. Sweet. I especially enjoyed "Super" Mario's comeback in Mario 64 DS. Super Mushrooms rock!

So far I'm up to the train. Day 3 About to arrive in wherever it is I'm going. I just hope I don't have to wait the three days next time I want to return home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Jasoco
    So far I'm up to the train. Day 3 About to arrive in wherever it is I'm going. I just hope I don't have to wait the three days next time I want to return home.
    Since I don't understand a word of that, I'm going to assume I'm not there yet. :P

I just left Twilight town, and took some time aside to reclaim my championship in the arena and finish all the troubles up til the next chapter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am close to the end of Chapter 7. Poor Bowser is trailing so far behind. First he's told someone named "Gonazales" took the star. He's just so humorously pathetic, it's funny.

I'm excited the game alows you to continue after you win. I can't wait.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Got the game a few fays ago and I am loving it. I am on the last chapter, towards the last boss. It gets really hard on the last chapter, but is so addictive that I keep playing it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just entered the last chapter. I'm taking a "Scary Movie 3" break. Then I'll play some more. An FAQ I'm referring to says I should be at level 28-30 or so. I'm at 21 I think, so I got some work to do.

I think I'll take a visit to the 100 trials pipe and do some leveling up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm bored of it. Too "linear"(?). It's more like reading a pop up book, than controlling a pop up book.

Since my opinion is the only differing one, I'll leave it short and simple.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I've just found my sixth star, and am running around doing some more troubles before I talk to Frankly for the second time.

I swear the secrets in this game are evil, I almost picked up a strategy guide the other day. Ms. Mouz says there's something hidden in West Rougeport still, but for the life of me I can pin point where it's hidden.

Also I hate the buisnessmouse, he had me running around counting chairs last night and I'm apparently too stupid to count them correctly. I'm not about to re-travel all over the world so I'll probably just cheat and look up the code.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Reviving this topic, as I just finished Paper Mario 2.

I absolutely loved this game, moreso than the first Paper Mario. The cast of characters that join you just seem much cooler this time around, and they really pushed the paper aspect.

I also loved the references to SMB and paper mario 1, the music remixes, and the soundtrack in general. The moonbase had such awesome music.

I also want to say that Ms. Mowz is awesome for the final area.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just finished it yesterday, great game! I'm glad I bought it. It reminded me so much of Super Mario RPG, moreso than the others. I hope the next in the series is this good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finally bought this too.

It's a fantastic game! I'm not very far yet, but it's pulled me away from both my PSP and my DS - which is saying something, considering how much I enjoy Lumines and Lost in Blue.

It already seems to have a lot of throwbacks to even Super Mario RPG (although I assume Paper Mario had those also). It's fun, funny, and engrossing. I've already put in nearly 10 hours and it doesn't feel like that at all.