Thread: Weird situation with overpaying buyer

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Default Weird situation with overpaying buyer

I'm sure most of you who sell, like me, have gotten buyers who round up their payments to the nearest dollar (usually when it's just a difference of a few cents). However, just the other day I received a money order where the buyer overpaid by nearly 8 dollars (and it wasn't rounded off, it ended with a weird amount of cents). I checked his other eBay purchases, and none of them would equal anywhere near that amount. It's just very bizarre. I fail to see how someone could tell the clerk the wrong amount, hand over the money, fill it out, and mail it, without noticing the mistake once.

I don't know what to do about it. I just know that it's gonna bite me in the ass somehow. Since he paid by money order, I'm guessing he doesn't have PayPal, and I'm not exactly thrilled by the idea of having to make an extra trip to refund the overpayment and walk several blocks to the post office in the middle of winter.

What would you guys do? Anybody been in the same sort of position? Should I just keep the money unless he specifically contacts me about the mistake, or should I go out of my way to return it?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Just throw the extra cash into the package when you send it with a note.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Weird situation with overpaying buyer

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B
    ... should I go out of my way to return it?
    Yes.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree just throw in the extra cash with the package, and enclose a note explaining why there is money in the package.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree... throw in the extra cash with a note.
    Opinions expressed not necessarily those of the author, especially if bone-headed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Maybe contact him first...he might have included it for some reason...and if he didn't, THEN send the cash back.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've overpaid by accident once and the guy refunded me with my package, so defenitely throw it in with whatever you're sending.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A guy in Spain bought my DC BBA and sent an intl. money order - he realized he'd done the E-$US conversion wrong a few days later, and sent me a note saying to use the extra to buy a round of drinks on him :-).

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

I've only ever had one buyer overpay me before and that's because he sent me Euros in the post to pay for something when I explicitly asked for pounds only. Still, I think he was trying to compensate for me having to pay the exchange fees for it, and overdid it. I kept the Euros anyhow for the next time I went to Europe heh.

If it was a massive amount then yes I'd refund the difference, but as it's less than $10... up to you whether it's worth the hassle.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Personally I would put the extra money in the box with the item when you ship it back. I'm glad to hear that every other person here that has replied said the same thing. It's nice to see that everyone here are good honest people.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Make sure the cheque doesnt bounce first

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well he paid by money order not check. I only take the usps mone orders from people here in the states, no worry about fraud with those.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

he possibly add tax in? I've had a couple people do that to me =P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What would you guys do? Anybody been in the same sort of position? Should I just keep the money unless he specifically contacts me about the mistake, or should I go out of my way to return it?
    The fact you're asking this question...my god. The buyer got the amount mixed up, or perhaps sent you the wrong MO. I can't believe you'd consider not sending it back.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would certainly email the guy to let him know, and would probably write a cheque or put cash in with the package.

I have had a few people overpay before. Some who have even paid twice for the same thing. One guy double paid me for an item that cost about £30 ($50 - $60). And he refused to believe that he had done it!!! In the end I just refunded one of the payments anyway, because he still wouldn't believe that he had overpaid!

At the end of the day, if I made a mistake like this I would hope that a seller would be as honest with me, so it is really a case of 'do-as-you-would-be-done-by'

Vroomfunkel

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    The fact you're asking this question...my god. The buyer got the amount mixed up, or perhaps sent you the wrong MO. I can't believe you'd consider not sending it back.
    What the heck is your problem lately, Ed? Sheesh, there's harm in asking a question now? And here I thought that's what this forum is for. :/ It's not as if the guy asked for his money back and I told him "no". I just thought the situation was bizarre, I wanted to know if it's unusual, and I wanted suggestions of how to deal with it without causing me to suffer because of this guy's dumb mistake. I don't know about your cushy life where you can probably ride quickly to the post office in your heated car or stick a letter or package in the mail box right outside your door, but I have to leave the house everytime I have to mail something and I have to walk several blocks in the freezing cold to get to the post office. And since I'm on vacation from school, this guy's mistake is forcing me to get ready and leave the house on days that I normally wouldn't. As it is, this is already resulting in an extra trip out for me because I couldn't mail his item the day I wanted to when I had other business. Right now I'm waiting for a reply to the email I sent about this a couple days ago. Out of my recent bunch of auctions, this has been the most troublesome one. I'm having a hell of a time trying to communicate with him. I'm not even sure if he's getting my emails half the time, but considering he printed one out with the money order, he must've at least got one. He's yet to reply to me ONCE (only sending a couple messages through eBay), even though I specifically ask each buyer to reply within three days to give me their mailing address and such.

Believe me, I would've much rather received the proper amount and had this transaction over with than having to do all this extra work with a very slight chance of getting a tiny bit of extra money. Next time before you try to label me as a scumbag or something, why don't you think a little.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ed is the only person to say something mean in the thread. :/
    SNES Collector
    My collection: <a href=http://www32.brinkster.com/v1richstore/MyCollection/MyCollection.htm>Plain Text</a> Always willing to Buy/Sell/Trade
    <a href=http://stores.ebay.com/retrogamingheadquarters?&refid=store>My Ebay Store</a>

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah, but it's really warranted. It's not your money - at the very least you should ask them about it, instead of a bunch of forum members! Perhaps this person has some say in the matter, you know?

To make the situation really clear, consider this: Would you spend extra money that suddenly appeared in your bank account? No, you'd (hopefully) be afraid the bank's systems would automatically account for the mistake and you'd be left with a big negative balance at the end of the day or even an overdraft fee.

Of course, I'm very quick to make sure people get their money when I'm involved. Today some customer at work left immediately after asking for his change, and I hunted him down to give it to him though he'd wandered off without thinking about it (or perhaps even intending it as a tip...won't take those unless they insist). I do this sort of thing on a regular basis.

The only thing that's riled me up, Aussie, is that you apparently didn't want to ask this person. Are you afraid they'll tell you they didn't intend to send that money? Judging from your post, it sounds like you're asking us for a blank check to keep somebody's money wrongfully, and I'm just not prepared to do that. I'm no big religous type but some things just shouldn't be done.

And that's that. :P

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

In posting this quandary you invited opinions and they were dispensed. Ed's post was a bit melodramatic but I don't see a reason to get in a huff over it unless you have thin skin or felt a touch incriminated over the slightest prospect of keeping the excess. The first reply was the most sensible and efficient one, frankly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why do you have to go out of your way and make another trip to the post office to return the money? Why can't you just leave his change in the box when you ship him his auction win?

I kinda agree w/ Ed here. What kind of answer were you looking for?