A few months ago I found an old C64, Disk Drive, and 1702 Monitor lying at the curb on the side of the road. I quickly pulled over and collected the goodies.

Now, I guessed the C64 was most likely still working, the monitor would maybe work, and I figured there was no chance of the disk drive working.

A few minutes ago I actually tried the stuff for the first time. I hooked the C64 up to the monitor, and turned evverything on. The 1702 showed a white screen. I flipped the input switch on the back of the monitor (D'uh!) and voila!, I got the old blue C64 screen., and the READY prompt. Whee!

So I hooked up the 1571, figuring it was a waste of time. I then powered everything on and again, and saw no error messages.

Now, I had no C64 software, so couldn't really test things. THEN I remembered that at a previous NJ Classic I had picked up a shrinked copy of Space Harrier off of Joe's goodie table. And it was for the C64/C128. So I opened it up, stuck the floppy in the drive, and looked at the instructions to see how to run the game. The only exposure I've ever had to a C64 was my brother's old computer, and I almost never used it. I never learned how, and I don't even know whether or not he had a disk drive for it.

So, I entered
Code:
LOAD "*",8,1
and pressed Enter. BTW, the keyboard layout is definitely different than the currently used keyboard. And I played Space Harrier! I know the game's popular, but I didn't really like it myself. That may be because I never cared for the arcade version, or maybe the Suncom TAC3 joystick that came with the C64 is lousy, but I didn't even finish the game, I just tried to kill myself to end it.

Now, I'm excited about getting this thing and finding all the pieces work, but don't really know what else to do with it now.

I've got several C64 questions, and will probably hit the web as soon as I post this, to try and dig up some info. But I know many of you are old hands with the Commodore, so if any of you have any info/URLs/etc.... toss 'em out. I'd have searched, but Search is down for the moment.