Thread: Commodore 64 Lives! (No, not a Blue Sky Rangers production)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Commodore 64 Lives! (No, not a Blue Sky Rangers production)

A few months ago I found an old C64, Disk Drive, and 1702 Monitor lying at the curb on the side of the road. I quickly pulled over and collected the goodies.

Now, I guessed the C64 was most likely still working, the monitor would maybe work, and I figured there was no chance of the disk drive working.

A few minutes ago I actually tried the stuff for the first time. I hooked the C64 up to the monitor, and turned evverything on. The 1702 showed a white screen. I flipped the input switch on the back of the monitor (D'uh!) and voila!, I got the old blue C64 screen., and the READY prompt. Whee!

So I hooked up the 1571, figuring it was a waste of time. I then powered everything on and again, and saw no error messages.

Now, I had no C64 software, so couldn't really test things. THEN I remembered that at a previous NJ Classic I had picked up a shrinked copy of Space Harrier off of Joe's goodie table. And it was for the C64/C128. So I opened it up, stuck the floppy in the drive, and looked at the instructions to see how to run the game. The only exposure I've ever had to a C64 was my brother's old computer, and I almost never used it. I never learned how, and I don't even know whether or not he had a disk drive for it.

So, I entered
    Code:
    LOAD "*",8,1
    and pressed Enter. BTW, the keyboard layout is definitely different than the currently used keyboard. And I played Space Harrier! I know the game's popular, but I didn't really like it myself. That may be because I never cared for the arcade version, or maybe the Suncom TAC3 joystick that came with the C64 is lousy, but I didn't even finish the game, I just tried to kill myself to end it.

Now, I'm excited about getting this thing and finding all the pieces work, but don't really know what else to do with it now.

I've got several C64 questions, and will probably hit the web as soon as I post this, to try and dig up some info. But I know many of you are old hands with the Commodore, so if any of you have any info/URLs/etc.... toss 'em out. I'd have searched, but Search is down for the moment.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go you! You might wanna try Master System or Genesis pads with your C64 if you think the joystick is crap.

"I never should the games I sold and I have replaced them but they are not the game just a hollow shell of the same game." -RugalSizzler

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know nothing of C64, but if what davidleeroth said about Sega Genesis controllers working on a C64 is true, and you happen to not have any, PM me and I can sell or trade you one (proably pretty cheep, as I have about 50!).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

For starters, you can use 2600 controllers on it. I guess Genesis controllers would work as well but I never tried that (edit: oops just read DLRs post). Either would beat a Tac 3.

If you can get your hands on some blank 8" floppies I'll copy some games for you.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Also worth mentioning; the floppy drives tend to break down often because the read/write head gets dirty. It's really easy to clean...just pop that puppy open and clean off the white piece (w/ a lttile cross on it) that sits on the disk w/ a little alcohol.

If you start using it a lot, you will need some software to re-align the floppy drive.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by superstonic
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice
    If you can get your hands on some blank 8" floppies
    Geez, it's not THAT old, kid :P
    Gahh! I meant 5.25" discs, of course.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Way to go!!! Last year I remembered that my uncle had had Commodore stuff packed away in his closet, so I emailed him. he said that I could have everything, but that it would have to come with the next family member to travel this way (he lives 1,000 miles from me). I didn't have to wait too long.

I scored two C-64s, like-new in their original boxes; A like-new monitor and floppy drive; several joy sticks; several hundred floppy discs; and approx. 70-80 issues of Run Magazine, going back to number 2.

I have bought several games on Ebay, all in like new condition, but I haven't hooked everything up yet. My Jaguar died and I'm trying to deal with that (lightning strike, I think. It was plugged into the same power strip as my Sega Master System and top-loading NES, and they still work fine. The Jaguar won't even power on).

"We've come for your daughter Chuck"

-Beetlejuice

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got the same box full of C64 goodies and that old monitor sitting in my room. I'm going to test that sucker one of these days. Trouble is, I've even been putting off opening the C64 DTV I just bought last week!
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Classic Gaming Raccoon RockyRaccoon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Commodore 64 Lives! (No, not a Blue Sky Rangers producti

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro
    A few months ago I found an old C64, Disk Drive, and 1702 Monitor lying at the curb on the side of the road. I quickly pulled over and collected the goodies..
    I consider the 1702 to be the best Computer monitor ever..... not only that, but it works awesome with anything with Audio/Video Jacks....

I have a C64 and a 128 I have'nt dug out from the basement. but when I do.... I know I'll be playing the "Super Mario Bros" Great Gigana Sisters Hack I have on Disc.... and Omega Race. <3.

Nice find..... and I heard theres a program out there that can transfer Disk images you use with a C64 Emulator to a Proper Disc and format...if you have a 5 and a Half drive on your computer that is....I remember my friend doing this. You might wanna look into that... should'nt be TOO hard to find a crap 5 and a half inch PC drive about..

AH...here we go. the program is called "Star Commander"

LINKY LINK. CLICK HERE

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always heard genesis controllers (master system too?) were a no-no on a C64, it could blow out something. I'd google for info before trying.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vulcanjedi

Quote Originally Posted by john_soper
    I always heard genesis controllers (master system too?) were a no-no on a C64, it could blow out something. I'd google for info before trying.
    Greetings.

I have used sega controllers on all my Commodore's for years. Even 6 button programmable autofire.

But nothing beats the experience with a single button atari joystick!

VJ