Thread: XBOX or Cube adapter for the $149 PS2 steering wheel?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default XBOX or Cube adapter for the $149 PS2 steering wheel?

Man, I wish that somebody would make a really kick ass steering wheel, that had three diffrent controller plugs on it. One for PS2, one for XBOX and one for GameCube.

I mean if you are going to spend $149.99 on a freaking steering wheel, you should be able to use it on more than one video game system.

I wouldn't think it would be too hard for there to be an adapter that allows you to use the steering wheel with XBOX games and Cube games.

Also, it should have a little USB cable attachment for it, so that you could download special profiles for different racing games into the controller, so that if you are playing say "Need For Speed 2" for the XBOX, it will have it's own specific profile, so that the steering will be perfectly correlated to the particular game and which system it's on.

I don't have a problem with paying a large amount of cache for a really good, heavy duty steering wheel that feels good, has force feedback, and where the control is actually better than what you would get with a standard gamepad.

But you should be able to use it for all the major systems out right now. Having to buy a seperate steering wheel for each individual system is pretty freaking ridiculous if you ask me.

Now, you might be saying to just get the PS2 steering wheel, and then get a PS2 to XBOX and a PS2 to Cube controller adapter.

Not so fast.

Sure, I can get a PS2 to XBOX controller adapter, or a PS2 to Cube controller adapter, and I might actually be able to use this steering wheel with the XBOX version of NFS 2 Underground and Mario Kart Double Dash, but the problem is that the force feedback won't work right, and the steering accuracty won't work right.

It might technically work, but it won't work right.

I want somebody to build a high end, force feedback steering wheel, with 700 degree's of rotation, but I also want it to work on all 3 major systems, and have the ability to download specific game profiles so that the steering wheel is perfectly tuned to a specific game on one of the 3 major gaming systems.

Is this too much to ask for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Why would you EVER want to use a steering wheel on Mario Kart: Double Dash? I hope you're not a fan of blue sparks.

The pad will always conquer the wheel.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pedro Lambrini's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I concur. It's not as if steering wheels only take up a little space. The things are feckin' huge! I have the Pelican Real Arcade stick - it takes up a lot of room but I can use it on all my current era consoles. I also have a wheel for my PS2, 'Cube and Dreamcast. I would like toget one for my Xbox but I just don't have the room...

On a similar note - why don't all consoles have a separate port for light guns or steering wheels so that you don't have to unplug things when you wnat to play different games...? It's about the only thing that the PS2 has over other consoles as foar as I'm concerned.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They have em, saw a nice one on judgment day a few weeks ago with all three hookups.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They're not huge...

I have probably what's the largest wheel produced, a Thomas Superwheel for the PC, and it doesn't take up much space, even with a 13" wheel installed on it.

The wheel and pedals weigh a ton, but they don't take up much space.

And why have 700 degrees of rotation? Because of that junk Logitech PC/PS2 wheel? Real racecars don't have 700 degrees of rotation.

The pad might beat a wheel in console racers like Mario Kart or Gran Turismo, but it wouldn't in any true racing simulation such as Grand Prix Legends.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Certainly the size of the steering wheels can be an issue, but I'm not really concerned with that.

I got a freaking 113 inch screen in my Garage that I game on, on occasion. I would love to play some Gran Turismo 4 on that, with a force feedback steering wheel.

When you play a racing game at an arcade, it has a steering wheel. Why? Becuase it's a more immersive experience. Same thing with playing with a steering wheel at home.

The biggest problem with steering wheels, is that you need to mount it to something, so that it's really solidly attatched to something, and then you can use it.

A buddy of mine actually would build some type of seat type contraption for his steering wheel controllers. Like a freaking cockpit. Dude was crazy with that stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You can buy those yourself. A friend of mine that I race with in a NASCAR 2003 league produced a line of them called a SimBase. And there are others.

Just race at a desk. Wheels have clamping mechanisms, so unless you buy the cheapest junk like Logitech produces, you can securely clamp it to the desk and it won't be going anywhere.

Problem is when you want to race with a console wheel and not at your PC desk, I haven't figured out a solution for that yet.