Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question to all you Zelda (NES) fans

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default A question to all you Zelda (NES) fans

Im trying to think back to the NES era and how Zelda was a big seller and favourite with the kids. I just have a question and that is why?

I mean, I find it hard to belive that an adult let alone a kid, could enjoy a game that has really simple graphics and is so hard and confusing....please help me out :/

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

All games had really simple graphics back then. Have you played the game? Are you saying that you don't see what the appeal is?

Chris

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course Ive played it, and I dont see the appeal in it at all. I know all NES games, have simple graphics, but Zelda had "extra" simple graphics. Compare it to say SMB, and that game has enjoyable graphics, but Zelda...hmm not so much. Anyway the graphics aint the main point, I just dont see how a kid can enjoy a game were its almost impossible to know were to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think most of us had maps of some sort. I even had Zelda maps in some of my guides, and I didn't get the Zelda game until 1998 or 1999. I love that game, btw. Some spots are tough, but it is a good game none the less.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

back on the nintendo it wasn't about the graphics it was about the game itself. The story and gameplay were more important. I don't care how many games i play in the future Zelda is one of the best games that has ever been made and your not playing it just because of the graphics your crazy.
    This is my BOOM STICK !!!!

hail to the king baby!!

my collection: http://videogamecollectors.com/galle...r-Room-of-Doom

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I didn't really like it at all, moany ppl did, I can't see why, Every time I put the game on I end up turning it off, I much like The Adventures of Link way much better,
    NES HERO
    Collection
    NES,SNES,N64,GCN,PSone,PS2,Atari 2600 Jr,GBP,GBC,SMS I and II,C64,Commodore 64,DVD.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stevec1636
    back on the nintendo it wasn't about the graphics it was about the game itself. The story and gameplay were more important. I don't care how many games i play in the future Zelda is one of the best games that has ever been made and your not playing it just because of the graphics your crazy.
    Uh...read my posts again Im a NES fan..graphics is the last thing I care about. Sry if I didnt make that clear enough.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't care for graphics, aslong as the game is playable and joyable
    NES HERO
    Collection
    NES,SNES,N64,GCN,PSone,PS2,Atari 2600 Jr,GBP,GBC,SMS I and II,C64,Commodore 64,DVD.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Quote Originally Posted by Ernster
    Of course Ive played it, and I dont see the appeal in it at all. I know all NES games, have simple graphics, but Zelda had "extra" simple graphics. Compare it to say SMB, and that game has enjoyable graphics, but Zelda...hmm not so much. Anyway the graphics aint the main point, I just dont see how a kid can enjoy a game were its almost impossible to know were to go.
    I for one don't really know what to tell you. I freakin loved this game when I was a kid, and when I got stuck I would just ask someone who had already beaten the game. The map really isn't THAT big, and the fact that you aren't sure where to go only encourages exploration. Maybe you are the type who isn't patient with these kind of games.

I don't know what kind of games you are into, so I don't really know what to say beyond this. I also don't think that the graphics are particularly bad for an early NES game.

Chris

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: A question to all you Zelda (NES) fans

I mean, I find it hard to belive that an adult let alone a kid, could enjoy a game that has really simple graphics and is so hard and confusing....please help me out :/
    That is a very legit question, and a Q which N asked themselves before releasing the game in the US.

1. Graphics: you are right, the graphics even by the standards back then were not impressive, the overworld looked like munchkin land whereas the dungeons had better detailed garaphic quality. The appeal: gameplay! A lenghty massive adventure full of twists and surprises, the possibility to explore, and the requirement to figure things out makes a great game. Every good game lets you figure things out and explore, from a shmup to a puzzler.

2. hard and confusing: N tested the game with American gamers using a Zelda prototype. The result: the game had great appeal once the gamers understood what was going on and were told certain gameplay requirements. At first, some gamers lost interest getting stuck and somewhat confused because of the games non-linearity. Most gamers were used to arcade-style games, not complex adventure games.

Nintendos answer: First, the battery save made it much easier to finish the game; second, a phone hotline for the game was introduced where gamers could get hints how to finish the game (the hotline was soon overwhelmed, and N had to employ ten times as many people to answer the phones after six months) ; third, the Nintendo Fun Club newsletter (the forerunner of Nintendo Power) provided hints and startegies for the game; fourth, a very aggressive marketing strategy with paper and TV ads.

One to four plus the exceptional gameplay made Zelda a smash hit. Furthermore, the success of Metroid (released in the same year) proved that complex games like Zelda and Metroid can be huge sellers not only in Japan, but also in America.

Therefore, 1987 is one of the milestones in gaming history for America.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd argue that the graphics aren't much worse than anything else from that time period. Keep in mind that it's an early title. Most early titles similarly lacked detail. In fact, I can think of titles that looked even worse than Zelda.

I personally love the game. I'd probably rank it as my favorite Zelda game. I had a lot of fond memories watching my brother play through it as a child, but I never really seriously played it myself until not all that long ago. I played through both quests back to back and got everything. It's great fun. :)

needs food badly. Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Schlimtor
    PSN
    Schlimtor

It's funny to hear a talk about the graphics of the original Zelda. I guess they really aren't that good, but I never noticed before... even after all these years. Played through the game when I was 9 and loved it. I s'pose when the puzzles and gameplay are as good as they were in Zelda, the graphics aren't even a glint in your eye. The sheer mystery of the game itself was also a big attraction for me. Never before had I played a game that required such exploration. My little 9-year-old mind just ate it up.

Maybe it appeals more to those that played it in the 80's... because we had never seen anything like it before at the time. I dunno. To each his own I guess.
    "Red Warrior needs food badly."

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I just dont see how a kid can enjoy a game were its almost impossible to know were to go.
    I got to the last dungeon when I was six years old. Would have beat it too if the memory hadn't of wiped. Lets just say kids aren't as stupid as you give them credit for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The fact that you had to figure out what to do and where to go is why I loved it. I really got the feeling that I was exploring this new world.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game ruled and still does. All I can say is I personally majorly enjoy the gameplay. The sequel is great as well, I made it through that game when I was about 9 and felt like I had conquered the most impossible task ever. That game was pretty damn hard.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Zelda was tough because it didn't give you directions, and it gave you hints in the form of badly-translated cryptic messages. For me, therefore, Zelda was this cultural phenomenon among kids at my school; it was a big mystery and everyone was trying to figure it out. I learned how to perform some of the more complicated tasks (what block to push where in what dungeon) by talking to other kids. It was a "Word-of-mouth" way of playing the game.

Other games after Zelda were all pretty explicit in what tasks you needed to perform or where you needed to go in order to complete the game, and as such I never really noticed another game with that sort of phenomenon, which is probably just as well, really, considering that I don't want to spend time being stuck while hunting for a single block to push out of thousands. But at that time, this was a good, even if accidental, way to get people excited about playing the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well the whole simple graphics thing really makes no sense to me because basically EVERY game was like that on the NES.
    But, I do get the question as how a kid could like the game if they had no damn clue were they were going. I was one of those kids. Even in like 4th and grade I didn't know what I was doing, hense that is why I didn't like Zelda, even though I owned the game. (Pretty pathetic that I didn't really know what to do) Now my friend on the other hand was awesome at the game and beat it easily, I loved watching im play it though.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It was just a gerat game. I don't even play it but I have and it was fun. YOu have to go around and figure things out. When I was 6 or so I played Myst, and had to figure things out. I'm pretty sure if I could do that at 5, a 9 year old could figure out some things in Zelda. Maybe not all kids could figure things out, but many of us could. Maybe they didn't care about beating it, they just wanted to have fun. It was fun to walk around killing bad guys to kids maybe. And I liked the simple graphics, and the great music. Some people don't like some games, some people, or in this case, at least 75% of people do. It is a great game.
    Midwest

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Well, to say that the graphics sucked is actually false. For us kids of the late 80s, especially the pre-teens whose previous console was the Atari 2600, the NES and especially Zelda had great graphics with a huge world to explore. How did we know where to go next? Well, remember that the original release of TLoZ was shipped with a map and hints regarding the early dungeons. That certainly helped.

And the early issues of Nintendo Power must've helped. Even though The Adventure of Link was released by the time NP was launched, I'm sure there must have been some kind of "tips and tricks" article about TLoZ. (plus add to this the numerous "How to win at Nintendo" books published at the time, and you were never truly lost).

Back when Zelda was first released, we had wild imagination. Heck, we used our imagination to fill in the gaps in the 2600 games, so it's only normal that we'd find TLoZ to be an immersive experience, even though it wouldn't seem to be so nowadays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Default Re: A question to all you Zelda (NES) fans

Im trying to think back to the NES era and how Zelda was a big seller and favourite with the kids. I just have a question and that is why?

So if you're an NES fan, you'd know that the "really simple graphics" are not nearly as bad as you seem to think they are, especially when compared to hundreds of other NES titles.

You'd also know that lots of NES role-playing or adventure games didn't hold your hand and walk you through the game like you seem to require.