• Tecmo Bowl (NES)

13 28.26%
  • Tecmo Bowl (GB)

0 0%
  • Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

24 52.17%
  • Tecmo Super Bowl (SNES/Genesis)

5 10.87%
  • Tecmo Super Bowl Special Edition (SNES/Genesis)

0 0%
  • Tecmo Super Bowl Final Edition (SNES/Genesis)

1 2.17%
  • Tecmo Super Bowl (PSX)

2 4.35%
  • Tecmo Bowl (cell phone)

1 2.17%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite Tecmo Bowl Game (now with screen shots)

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Do the SNES/Genesis TSB play as well as the NES one?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Do the SNES/Genesis TSB play as well as the NES one?
    They play very well I think. What I'm not a fan of is the new music. You can't zig zag as well but you should still be able to get some huge gains through the air. I think in some ways the gameplay is a little tighter. The dive tackle on Defense has imporved.

Here are the new features for the Genesis/SNES versions:

Touchback
    Change your playbook during a game
    Weather
    3 years for season mode
    Change game time (preseason/pro bowl)
    Change players in the Pro Bowl
    I also like seeing the stats at halftime

If you want to give it a try I have loose Genesis version just PM me and I'll send it to you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Overall, I had to vote for Tecmo Super Bowl. It's solo experience is unmatched as far as sports games go on the NES.

But if were talking nostalgia or a multiplayer exhibition game with a friend, the original Tecmo Bowl would win every time. The play mechanics are simple yet addictive. It's probably the only football game that a non-football fan or non-sports fan could get into.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    I'm going out on a limb. Not that I don't like the originals, but create-a-player is just too much fun to ignore in III. I had almost an entire Bears team made up with friends. Same basic gameplay, great stat tracking (I'm the best QB in the league??!!), and a nice graphics engine. What more do you want?
    I've been playing III allot lately just to mix it up (Super Bowl on the NES will always be number 1). It really is an amazing football game on the Genesis/SNES. The create a player far excedes any other varitation on the Genesis/SNES. I've played a few other games that let you max out a player right from the start so I like how Tecmo makes you earn your points. The only thing that bothers me about this version is the lack of in game music. It's probably still hands down the best football game on the Genesis/SNES (sorry Madden).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*bump*

I'm playing alot of Tecmo Super Bowl on the SNES right now. I like the added 100 yard rusher 150 yard recieving 300 yard passing stats. Great game maybe..... just maybe ..... better than the NES version..... ah nah I just love the NES version too much. Still the SNES version of just Tecmo Super Bowl is fantastic.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TecmoBowlTerror's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I voted Tecmo Bowl on the NES. I've played my share of Tecmo Super Bowl over the years, but my buddies and I easily prefer the original. I've found that the strategic aspect of the original Tecmo Bowl is phenomenal.

The programmers put in some interesting twists into Tecmo Bowl. There are certain ways to invoke very beneficial pass coverage help from the CPU, but you need to know the correct defender to choose in that scenario to effectively make it a successful scheme. There are also certain defenders that go completely unblocked on run plays. These unaccounted defenders in the run blocking scheme add into the chess match. Furthermore, with a particular defender, and particular play call, you can avoid trouble in the run game, while limiting yards available in the passing game. It's a detailed approach which often times forces your opponent to slowly move the ball down field.

We spent a lot of time studying the defensive reactions against every play of every offense. By doing that, we figured out a defensive scheme/game-plan for every team that you face. Sometimes the effectiveness is better or worse depending on which defensive personnel you have. Further along, we inverted that knowledge and took an approach of doing things like pre-snap reads while on offense. With Denver for example, if I'm in shotgun(Pass 2), I know all the possible defensive reactions that may occur. That allows me to anticipate which receivers will be open immediately, and cross that with which position my opponent is using. Before the snap I'm sizing up passing windows, or what I need to do to draw a defender, so i can throw a ball elsewhere.

Sorry about the long explanations. Tecmo Bowl has a ton of layers that many people have no knowledge of, and that's why it's a great game. I think it's often overlooked by TSB players, who just see 4 plays vs 8, more teams, more bells and whistles etc and think that equates to better for TSB. Not surprised that TB had a decent number of votes compared to TSB.