Thread: gamefly.com user reviews?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default gamefly.com user reviews?

first off let me say i'm sorry to post a topic that has surely been covered but with the search feature down...

i'm thinking of joining gamefly for the express purpose of renting xbox games and then mailing them back right away, one a time i'd imagine. essentially i'm not satisfied with the poor selection at blockbuster and westcoast video.

how does gamefly compare?

hows their selection and wait time when it comes to new/hot titles?

have they got any "columbia house" style hidden charge tricks?

whats the deal with the pre-paid mailer, their site seems vauge on this.

did you quit, do you love it?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

I tried GameFly over the summer, and I must say, it would not be worth paying for. It took around 8 days between having games, and, frankly, that's WAY too long to wait.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: gamefly.com user reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    i'm thinking of joining gamefly for the express purpose of renting xbox games and then mailing them back right away
    Arrrr, mateys!
    Frobba.com - Stuff No One Cares About

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I can say is best buy was constantly cramming this down our throats to sell to people. No one ever bought it. I did although know one person who tried it and he said it was pretty slow.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now now I don't like the arrgh matey comment. he may not be using them jsut to put on his modified system. He may have meant that he usually beats games quickly so he constantly is ready for new ones. But either ay he just wants some opinions on the service.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I hear it's a good service but unlike Netflix they only have ONE center, in California. So for those of us in the east coast, it takes 5-8 days between when we mail a game back and get a new one. If they had other centers, it would be better.....I'd sign up for this if the service was faster.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had gamefly for abit now, and yeah it does take a few days to receive the games between mailings. I try to rent a game I plan on keeping for awhile and another game I will send back in a few days. Thus, I always have a copy from then while Im waiting for another one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Deftonian
    PSN
    Detonian90
    3DS Friend
    1805-3053-7836

Quote Originally Posted by -hellvin-
    All I can say is best buy was constantly cramming this down our throats to sell to people. No one ever bought it. I did although know one person who tried it and he said it was pretty slow.
    Heh some of my family lives in Glendale. I dont like it there its to hot.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Ok, I just signed up for this last week since they have DS, GBA, and PSP stuff.

Not a good first experience.

Game came quickly (I'm in Ohio), roughly 3 days. Instead of sending me Asphalt Urban GT on the DS, they send me Mercanaries on the Xbox. How the hell do you screw it up that badly?? That's not even remotely close. Now I need to send this one back within 7 days or be charged for it plus I need to wait again to get the game I originally asked for. Sigh. I'm thinking this free trial may be it for me.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i joined shortly after posting this and havent had any probs so far. during the time i've been a member i've had some xbox issues so i wasnt trying it at "full speed". now i've got things humming along on my xbox so i'll be curious how fast the turn around really is. in any case i prefer it to blockbuster, so many times i would go there and every title i wanted would be out, which for me is a complete waste of time. gamefly seems to offer a better supply of the new titles and the cost will be the same or better than BB.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by christianscott27
    i joined shortly after posting this and havent had any probs so far. during the time i've been a member i've had some xbox issues so i wasnt trying it at "full speed". now i've got things humming along on my xbox so i'll be curious how fast the turn around really is. in any case i prefer it to blockbuster, so many times i would go there and every title i wanted would be out, which for me is a complete waste of time. gamefly seems to offer a better supply of the new titles and the cost will be the same or better than BB.
    I started with GameFly shortly after this post and I haven't had any problems either. Every disc has worked and every one has been the right game. I think Gamereviewgod might have had a fluke experience.

Living in Oklahoma, it's a 3 day turn around for me, even though the last couple of exchanges I've had have been 2 day, so maybe they're speeding up a bit. Basically at 2 games at a time, that equates to 8 games per month for $20. That's cheaper than any of my local stores for sure.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

I signed up *just* to buy Disgaea for 37.99 and Shin Megami Tensei for 29.99 and then as soon as they came I selected "keep it", they sent me all the boxes and everything for like 5$ and I cancelled before the membership took effect, now that is winning!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

One final update. I cancelled my Gamefly subscription today. I see above I posted that I once got a game in 2 days ... that must've been a personal record for me because now it takes 3-4 days on a good week. If I order a game on Monday it usually doesn't arrive until Thursday. Assuming I keep it one day (Friday) and mail it back Saturday, it doesn't get back to them until Tuesday or Wednesday. I have been getting 5-6 games a month and I just decided it wasn't worth it.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Resurrection Time.

I just decided to give this a try. I signed up yesterday, and I was really impressed with the sheer number of titles they had available. Much, much better than the piss-poor selection at the local stores.

I figured that if I were to rent 3-4 games a month, the cost would be a bit lower than renting from the local BBV or Hollywood.

But, one question for those that have/had the service:

What are due dates like? I know they say there are none on their site, but there HAS to be a cutoff point somewhere. Like BBV, they say no late fees but convert your rental into a sale if it's not back within one week after the due date.

Say there was a game that I enjoyed playing, but took an extended amount of time to play it. I have no intention of keeping it. At what point is Gamefly going to say 'Hey buddy, are you returning that or what?'

(a bump to Modern Gaming would be excellent)
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

I long since use intothegame.com and I'd never even think about goig back. The selection, service, prices, and speed are unmatched. I've been using them for over a year. Turn around time is a few days, if that.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shawnb1824's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There really are ZERO late fees. I once had a game for 5 months. That's really Gamefly's dream situation because like an idiot I was still paying $22 a month and only getting one game (instead of 2). Gamefly is a decent service but it's really only worth it if you are going to rent multiple games per month.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Resurrection Time.

I just decided to give this a try. I signed up yesterday, and I was really impressed with the sheer number of titles they had available. Much, much better than the piss-poor selection at the local stores.

I figured that if I were to rent 3-4 games a month, the cost would be a bit lower than renting from the local BBV or Hollywood.

But, one question for those that have/had the service:

What are due dates like? I know they say there are none on their site, but there HAS to be a cutoff point somewhere. Like BBV, they say no late fees but convert your rental into a sale if it's not back within one week after the due date.

Say there was a game that I enjoyed playing, but took an extended amount of time to play it. I have no intention of keeping it. At what point is Gamefly going to say 'Hey buddy, are you returning that or what?'
    I really don't think they care as long as you're paying a membership fee to keep the game indefinately. Lets say you're holding onto to Pokemon XD for a year, at $14 a month that one game has cost $168. Gamefly's more then making their money's worth off you. Since your local Blockbuster only charges a one time fee for rentals they want their shit back on time. Now you have to return the game within seven days of canceling your subscription, if you don't they will charge you the cost of the game. I have no clue if they'll deduct your left over reward dollars from the cost of the fee.

So while there's no "late fees" it's defiantely within your best interest to return the game in a timely manner.