Thread: I think I'm becoming a collector again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I think I'm becoming a collector again.

Hearing everyone talking about their weekend "Finds" has gotten me in the mood for collecting again. A few years back, I went on a little collecting bender that put me back a ton of money. My friends and I would go to obscure game stores all over the state trying to find good deals, and rare games. We mostly collected NES, Genesis, and SNES games. It was terrific fun.

However, this came and went. I would buy games up, sell them off, buy them up, etc.. I really wish I would just hide all of the games when I got bored, I would have a much larger collection.

Now, I feel like having a collection again. I have my Mame cabinet completed, and now I want to show off my old carts and stuff.

One problem that I have is that I have all of the games I want in other forms. For instance, I have an Atari 2600, and most of the games I played as a kid, but I also have every single ROM on my XBOX. The same goes for many older systems. I have a modded Saturn, modded PSX, etc. etc. In other words, it is hard to want to drop 150 bucks for Radiant Silvergun when I already "kind of" have it.

I can even play it on the TV with a regular controller. With the cartridge games, I do find a little more drive to collect, since you can't play it with the original system without actually having them. They just seem to have more appeal for me.

Anyway, I guess I would just like some suggestions on how to get my collection going. I have both DP rarity guides, so I have a list. Is there anywhere online aside from ebay where you can get your hands on a lot of cheaper "filler" games for systems such as the Atari 2600?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

here. try out the buying and selling forum.

imo, most fun games are relatively cheap (with some exceptions). you don't necessarily have to collect rares to be a collector.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Go thrifting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know the feeling. I've recently gotten back into collecting and it started by selling off a bunch of junk. I wouldn't go for filler games unless you really like them otherwise you'll end up with a shelf full of crap and sell it again like I just did. I find having backups and roms help me focus my collecting. It stops me from buying any game under $5. Plus I use to buy them just to play but now that I can play the games other ways I hold out for complete copies of games. I tend to spend a little more too if its something I really like. Joe always has good collecting tips in the back of Tips and Tricks. I often look at it to help focus my collecting habits. They get archived here

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/collectors/index.htm

speaking of which does anyone know how long joe has to wait before he can post them on here.

Right now I'm collecting all US realesed Tecmo games. I just got a complete Rygar for the NES which almost completes the Tecmo purple box NES games. Speaking of which if anyone has any complete Tecmo games PM me. Still looking for a complete Fire N Ice for the NES.

My suggestion would be to have fun with your collection and make it personal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, Fire and Ice is hard to find even out of box.

Thanks for the suggestions, too. I'll take a good look at those Tips and Tricks columns.

And I have made my collection personal. I have all of the games I played when I was a child, even the more expensive ones. So, to that extent, my collection is complete.

However, I still think I would like to get my hands on some of the older, cooler systems like the Vectrex, etc.

These boards are terrific.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah these are the best boards

the Vectrex is cool and I like the Virtual Boy as well. they are both very unique