Thread: Interest Check: Tri-State Gaming Meet (WV, OH, KY)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Interest Check: Tri-State Gaming Meet (WV, OH, KY)

After kicking this around more and more lately, we (that being myself and bigdaddychester) decided that it's something that we would like to try and put together, given that there would be enough interest to do this - enough interest even being something like 5-10 people. Obviously, the more the better, but we're not planning on anything huge, and we'd be happy to host a small, 10-person "game night" type of gathering.

Details:

- Wouldn't be anything formal - that is to say that we do not intend for this to be a gaming "expo", but more along the lines of an informal "game night/swap meet". Think NJ Classic if you will.

- Would probably take place in or around Milton, WV - about 5 minutes off Interstate 64, just east of Huntington, WV. Around 3 hours from Columbus, OH, depending on who's driving. Not too far from where West Virginia meets Ohio and Kentucky. We're considering several locations, but none are more than 10 minutes off the Interstate.

- Obviously, everyone from any state would be welcome, but we thought it would be nice to cater something towards the Tri-State region. Not a lot going on around here otherwise.

- We're looking at something like a rec center (or even a smaller conference room of some kind, again depending on interest). Neither of us have huge homes, and I promise you that nobody would ever find my house out in the sticks anyway. Basically, just aiming for somewhere that has enough room for all to spread out their tradebait and still have plenty of space for gaming and whatnot.

- Start time around 12 or 1:00. Not so early that you'd have to get up and leave at 5:00 a.m., but not too late either so people could take off at 9 or 10:00 and still make it home at a reasonable hour if they wanted. There are also plenty of nice places to stay in the area as well. I'd put everyone up here for free if I could, but I just don't have the space.

Anyway, these are just some preliminary thoughts - we're always open to suggestions, and again, we're just trying to gauge some interest on this - one of my gaming New Year's Resolutions was to try my best to organize a meet in this area, if only a 10 person meet.

So if you're even remotely interested, post and let us know! Thanks!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I may be able to make it. Depends on the date. Would be a 5 hour drive for me... I've driven to Cleveland (same distance) for a very similar event many times before.
    These Reproductions available with custom labels via PM with free shipping for DP members:

ATARI 2600: Mazy Match, Cola Invaders (the one I released/made), Meltdown (2600), Kabobber, Stone Age (NTSC), A Misterious Thief (NTSC).

NES(US):Crazy Climber, Mario Adventure, Castlevania C.O.M., Drac's Night Out, Galaxian.

If it wasn't for sarcasm, I'd rather be dead.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've driven to NJ, PA, and Chi-town for similar events. As long as I'm not driving through snow, count me as interested.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    I've driven to NJ, PA, and Chi-town for similar events. As long as I'm not driving through snow, count me as interested.
    I'd love to do something within the next two months or so, but personally, I'm aiming for something in the Spring (late March, early April maybe?) - when the weather is better. If we can put together a springtime shindig, I'd love to do another one in the fall, given that everyone had a good time at the first one and that the interest was still there.

Believe me, I had a blast up in Reading at ECGX - but between the 10+ hour drive and the 10+ straight hours behind the vendor table (aside from the few moments I took to walk around and meet people), I was dead tired, and I didn't have the opportunity to play a single game or spend that much time hanging out and chatting with fellow gamers.

I'd just like to see something annual and more personal get started - be it here with us, or somewhere in this area, so everyone from the surrounding states will have something a little more local and feasible to attend - instead of always having to drive northeast!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can probably count me in, mapquest says im about 2 and a half hours away.
    Curiosity killed the cat.... Satisfaction brought him back.

My shadow's the only one that walks beside me
    My shallow heart's the only thing that's beating
    Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
    'Til then I walk alone...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quintracker
    You can probably count me in, mapquest says im about 2 and a half hours away.
    I used to pass that way when I'd have to drive to Eagle Rock, Va. Just hop on 64 and about 2 hrs later you're there.

I'm still checking around for a few places where we could get together.....
    Keep It Stinky, Baby