Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stock Photos - the worst thing to happen to Ebay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Stock Photos - the worst thing to happen to Ebay.

Am I the only one annoyed by the huge popularity of stock photos in video game auctions? Type in a PS2 game, and I bet you 9 out of 10 of the auctions will carry stock photos. What if I want to see the item I'm buying? If it's GH or not? If it's a bootleg or not? It doesn't take that long to take a damn photo of the crap your selling. Auctions with real photos are much more likely to get bid on, so why the hell are people so damn lazy!?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I'm not a big fan of stock pics, because like you I like to see what I'm about to buy if possible. I can understand why they implemented it though. Some people and stores sell hundreds if not thousands of things every few months, and it could get pretty time consuming to to prepare pics for all of those items.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to believe that the auctions with stock photos would just have no photo at all if that feature was not available. I also agree that stock photos are a bad idea. They can often mislead buyers. I think that quite a few sellers take advantage of this aspect. I wish I could disable the viewing of them. Even a search option that says "show only auctions with non-stock photos" would be useful.

I have to admit that I usually have the stock information/photo enabled in my auctions, but mainly for the stock text. I always take a photo of the item I am selling.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gapporin

Stock photo = no bid from me.

I absolutely have to see what I'm bidding on before I buy it. Even if it's a new (generation-wise, not condition-wise) game.
    "I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Stock photos are awful, but if I see something in the description that's very clear, I might bid if I really want the item. I got a bunch of game guides that didn't have stock photos, but rather some photos taken by the seller that may or may not have represented the item - well, took my chance and it turned out pretty well. If I'm looking for something cart only (which is rare, though), a stock photo is fine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On the other hand of the spectrum.. even an "original" photo can sometimes be misleading (It works both ways); especially when it comes to "lazy" or unknowledgeable sellers/Powersellers. Case in point..

A couple of weeks ago I won an auction for Parasite Eve II. The auction text CLEARLY stated that the game WAS complete.. including instructions. I paid $20 for the game.. a fair price.. thinking it was complete (I ONLY bid on complete games.). Last week the game arrived.. the two discs and case with artwork/inlays ARE beautiful.. but there was NO manual.

The seller (a Powerseller BTW) told me he made a "mistake". He HAD included a "photo" of the item up for bid.. but in this case.. I "think" what happened was he saw the front inlay (PE II has it's own front cover.. and the manual sits inside the case.. since it comes in a "double" CD case) and just "assumed" that what he saw showing through the front was a manual and not a cover (or at least.. I want to think that). He offered to refund my money but said NOTHING about reimbursing me for my shipping costs to return the game to him.

I gave up on the issue when I realized that; and also realized how difficult it would be for me to ship the item back to him (I live in the "sticks".). Another case of "buyer beware". I'm now out $20 and I STILL don't have a complete copy of the game.. bummer.

I'm currently looking for another "complete" copy of the game and you can bet your *ss I'm e-mailing sellers and asking them to confirm their ads.. EVEN if they state a manual IS included (Some have even got a little "snooty" about the fact that I'm even asking.. but hey.. I'm covering my *ss this time around.).
    "Kooch56.. you is a MEAN man!"
    My DP feedback
    "Take us to the THRESHOLD!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you look for GBA games, you will see nearly every single person uses a stock photo. I hate them.

If you eMail a person and ask them (Nicely) if they can send you a picture of the item they are selling, you get a snotty eMail back saying:

"Check the auction, picture is included"

So you have to then send one back saying:

"I know what the game's cover looks like; I want to see what yours looks like!"

And it's even more annoying when they are selling a factory sealed game. I mean "apparently" selling a factory sealed game.

If a game is factory sealed, you want to see if for yourself (Especially as some people confuse reseals with factory sealed)

I don't know about you guys, but I don't really trust what people say. I have learnt the hard way, as many people have (In the early days of being an eBay user). I like to see for myself.

Most people are obliging though, but some people can be so rude and send you responses like:

"If you don't believe me, then don't bid. No skin off my nose. Mate."

The worst are games which are either extremely rare (Some of the expensive PSone games spring to mind and old Snes and Nes games) as well as GBA and N64 games - Being sealed doesn't generally mean perfect condition...

And with PSone and PS2 games, you have the tear strip which is obviously visable in a picture. It saves a lot of questions surely?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I swear if given the chance I'm moving to England. Not only is the political climate there more to my liking, but you can actually TELL if a game is factory sealed or not.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hahahaha

I have a factory sealed Tetris for the Gameboy, it has the Nintendo seam on the back, ive owned it from new!

I also have a factory sealed World Cricket for the SNES that I got from a local games shop for £5 !

Its hard to get sealed etc games nowadays, how often do you find old ones? not bloody often thats for sure.. even current generation...!

When I buy games at a local games shop, they come scratched! If its not a brand new release, they give you one out of their games drawer.. their excuse being they need empty cases on display... gah.. ever heard of colour photocopy :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing that really bothers me is when people use other people's photos for their auctions. I am usually watching for certain games over a long period of time, so I often notice the duplicated photo. It has gotten to the point where I almost always ask the seller if the photo shown is indeed representing the actual item for sale.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scorch56
    I'm currently looking for another "complete" copy of the game and you can bet your *ss I'm e-mailing sellers and asking them to confirm their ads.. EVEN if they state a manual IS included (Some have even got a little "snooty" about the fact that I'm even asking.. but hey.. I'm covering my *ss this time around.).
    I believe I have a copy of PE2 sitting around that is complete that I could let go for under $20 shipped. I'll check and get you a PM with the exact condition, its completeness and of course a stock photo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

No Real Pictures = No Bid From Me

sure, an item can be complete with everything, but that complete doesnt mean that it isnt covered in shit and snot and ripped in half

i want complete to mean something that i can touch without be disgusted and something that will look good next to all my other games
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I understand where your coming from and in ways I agree, but alot of people including myself don't have a digital camera or another means of getting a picture on-line. Does that mean that they (or me) can't be trusted with what their selling? I have had some good deals in the past by taking risks as you all seem to put it, one particular one off the top of my head was getting both Arc the Lad and Shadow hearts mint and complete for 10 shipped. Yes there wasn't a picture, but the seller described his/her item well and also had excellent feedback, and in the end I think that is what matters most, becuase even if it isn't a stock photo who's to say that they themselfs didn't steal it elsewhere?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd prefer no photo to a stock photo. And I don't really buy the "can't afford a digital camera" bit - it's a requirement for business on ebay. I'm currently in Beijing, and my roommate from a smal impoverishedl village (really) outside the city owns a cell phone with a camera that takes 400x300+ pictures.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather have a stock photo than have the seller steal a photo. I was once looking at an auction for a boxed Game Boy located in Illinois. The box, though, was of a design I've only seen released in England. So, I email the bidder, thinking either he bought it on eBay hmself, or there is a new box variant. I asked him where he bought the game. Was he the original owner? Did he buy it England maybe? He writes back saying, I'm in Chicago, why would I buy it in England? So, I email him one more time: stating that the box is of a design only released in England, and it has me confused. Well, it turns out he stole the pic from an english game site. Rat Bastard.

Back on topic: If there is a stock phot, I will always email the seller asking very specific questions. Most are nice about it, they want it to sell after all!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've sold a lot of things without a camera. Just be extra carefull in describing your item and the conditon it's in. I sold my FF7 Versus Guide like that as well as a mess of other things.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I use them for most of my videogames sale and it does not bother me as long as there is a clear description of the item.

The thing I really hate is people that just use the "pre-filled" info, stock photo and do not write anything but just check the "used" box

If I bid on an auction with stock photo/pre-filled info I still expect a detailled description of the item and that's it. I never had a bad surprise this way..

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    I'd prefer no photo to a stock photo. And I don't really buy the "can't afford a digital camera" bit - it's a requirement for business on ebay. I'm currently in Beijing, and my roommate from a smal impoverishedl village (really) outside the city owns a cell phone with a camera that takes 400x300+ pictures.
    Some people just cant afford cameras, I use my dad's digital one but some people just can't afford them, and maybe they only sell a few things, not enough things they they would need a digital camera for. Some people are just poor. (maybe they use the library to list their items)
    Midwest

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used stock photos after my digital camera got stolen. However, I described the item as accurately as possible. After getting a new camera, it does help. But, not everyone can get a camera..

ServBot (Level 11) Lemmy Kilmister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charitycasegreg
    Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    Some people just cant afford cameras, I use my dad's digital one but some people just can't afford them, and maybe they only sell a few things, not enough things they they would need a digital camera for. Some people are just poor. (maybe they use the library to list their items)
    Exactly. Not that i'm poor mind you, it just has to do more with the fact that I don't feel the need to spend 100 plus dollars on a digital camera to sell maybe two or three loose carts on Ebay a year. It's one thing if you own a business, but if your just an average goon then who cares?