Thread: Wow, an instant Nintendo Game & Watch Collection

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wow, an instant Nintendo Game & Watch Collection

Ok, I have seen pics of these things but I have not seen one (at least for many years) in person; until today. I was out with my son, checking our haunts and saw these things on the shelf. He had a bunch of them, 13 in total and all different. They were all priced at $20.00, but we haggled down to a more reasonable price for the lot. I have to say, didn't know they made so many styles. Of the ones I bought I notice 5 distinct styles of which I will try to explain below.

1. Widescreen non-clamshell. These are almost exactly the same width and height as Nintendo Famicom carts. They all 5 buttons (1 left, 1 right, Game A, Game B and Time) The ones in this bunch were called Fire, Parachute and Turtle Bridge.

2. Multiscreen Clamshell. These guys are definitely the precursor to the DS. They are almost exactly the same as width, height and depth as a Famicom cart. Open one of these guys up and you get dual screen goodness. The button layout on most is an X pad, 1 Action button and the Game A,B and Time buttons like the Widescreen versions. Of these I picked up Donkey Kong, Donkey King II, Green House (definitely where DKIII got it's roots from) and Mickey and Donald (Yep Disney and the big N in cahoots)

3. Multiscreen Atari Sized Clamshell. These are like the ones above, except instead of having the hinge on top, it's on the side. When it's folded it looks like the size of a 2600 cart. Dual screen like the above ones as well except the screens are side-by-side. Of these I got Mario Brothers and Lifeboat.

4. The Panoramas. These have screens that fold up to make a tent like triangle. The screen projects an image which bounces off a mirror to the screen you look at. (Very Funky) Any one with Nintendo’s bigger watch game Popeye will know what I'm talking about. Think that, except smaller. They are the same length and height and about half the width of an original GameBoy. Of these I got Snoopy, Mario's Bombs Away and the baby brother to my larger Popeye, the smaller Popeye.

5. The Micro VS System. Ok this thing looks like an eyeglass case. It has a very wide LCD screen on the outside with the case opening up like a clamshell. However, in the clamshell are 2 (count em 2) wired controllers. The wires roll out of the controllers as you pull the away to play the game. In this case, Boxing. When you are finished you reel them back up like a tape measure. (Again, very funky)

Anyway, I learned a bunch today I didn't know about these things. Thanks for letting me share what I found. Carry on...

V

- I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Wow, an instant Nintendo Game & Watch Collection

Ah, you got a Mini Versus System game? Nice, been wanting one of those myself. I'm guessing these were all loose? Still nice.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looked some of them up in the Collector's Guide Database..looks like you got a great deal on most of them. Most are rarity 5-6 and around 40 dollars. Not bad at all

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Better go back there, write down the ones that are left, then check ebay, some go for over a hundred. ARe they loose? Boxed ones go really high.
    Midwest

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lol, I did get them all. All are loose though. 2 are missing battery cases (Parachute and GreenHouse) while one' batteryr cover is the wrong color (Mario Bros.) Which is ok to me I guess as it's spine is also cracked a little. I will probably sell a few to recoup my investment but keep few as well. I wish Nintendo wouldn't have made the backs all different colors. Does anyone know a good way tp get rid of light scratches on plastic?

BTW DP, thanks for the great links. They were a great read. Do you have any regarding the Panorama style?
    - I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I found a G&W fansite a while back that offered replacement battery covers for sale. Unfortunately, I have no idea where that site would be at the moment. (I was searching for a cheap source for those little calculator batteries.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)