Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Official Tecmo Super Bowl Thread (new & old versions)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Official Tecmo Super Bowl Thread (new & old versions)

Since I'm one of the resident Tecmo Super Bowl nuts here I thought I should creat a thead that can hold all things related to Tecmo Bowl. I get quite a few PM's about getting updated rosters on NES carts so I felt it should be on the board and not just in private PM's. So let this thread be about where to find all the current Tecmo Rom's and which ones are the best and how to get them on carts. Lets also make this thread about anything related to Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl.

So for those interested here is what you need to do to get a new Tecmo Super Bowl on your NES complete with updated teams, stats and atributes. First here are some pictures of my new Tecmo Super Bowl game.

the cart

in the NES

powered on

Mike Vick is the new QB Eagles

Here is what you do. First find the Rom you want. If you find a really good one make sure you post it here for everyone else. A lot of great Rom's can be found here: http://www.knobbe.org/

Once you find the Rom then you need find someone to put it on a cart. There are both NES and SNES Rom hacks. For NES roms there is Leonk who posts here on DP and has this site: http://nesreproductions.com/ maybe someone else knows of a good SNES cart reproducer

Then there is this site : http://tecmosuperbowl.com/ which made a NCAA version of Tecmo Super Bowl and has a bunch of other great links.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Been playing the 2000 season hack of Tecmo Super Bowl lately, running the 49ers 5-0 thus far. Week 7, and been running Tampa Bay, Jets and one other team, I forget which, that started with crappy records and seeing how I do with them.

I forgot how much fun this game was!!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine23
    Been playing the 2000 season hack of Tecmo Super Bowl lately, running the 49ers 5-0 thus far. Week 7, and been running Tampa Bay, Jets and one other team, I forget which, that started with crappy records and seeing how I do with them.

I forgot how much fun this game was!!
    cool, how do you prefer to play your new Tecmo Super Bowl? On your PC, Xbox, or have you had it put on a NES cart?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

PC, using Jnes as my emulator. No X-Box and I don't have the cash to spare to put it on a cart, as much as I'd like to one these days. That and finally buy TSB again for myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wrote a review for Tecmo Super Bowl II: Special Edition over at Sega 16. I thought I'd write about that version since it doesn't get talked about much.
    link

Also for those of you that like to customize your Tecmo Super Bowl TSB Playbook Editor Beta 2 is available. More info HERE Download it HERE

Also does anyone know where I can get a Rom put on a SNES cart. I want to get an updated SNES Tecmo Super Bowl to match my NES version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You would think with the amount of PM's I get about Tecmo Super Bowl more people would be interested in Tecmo Super Bowl.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my ebay Insanity entry has gotten me alot of emails from people in the Tecmo Bowl online community. I just got an email from this one:

http://www.tecmo-society.com/tits/

looks like they have an online league system of some sorts. I thought I would bump this up with all the EA crap going on and people looking to get their football somewhere else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey man, I lost that pm from you awhile ago, so I lost some of the information you sent me.

Anyways, which TSB w/04' rosters rom is the best? I've seen many different ones with variations.

I need the best one, otherwise, I'm just wasting money if I put some subpar rom on a cart.
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I've only seen up to the 2000 season on a TSB rom myself, along with the college rosters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's tough to say what Tecmo Rom is best. I like the one I have but if your a fan of one the teams that get left off it would suck. Here is the link to the Rom I used. Its a preseason 04-05 Rom so most of the good rookies are their but not very good.

http://www.geocities.com/ffguru2001/TSB/TSB.html

I think Jaybird used a modified version of this rom so hopefully he'll chime in later.

here is an 04-05 version of Tecmo Super Bowl III for SNES. I haven't tried it yet.

http://www.knobbe.org/mx/index.php?p...le&file_id=127

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are also tools to make your own rosters and such too. I haven't played with these at all yet, but it could be a LOT of fun.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There are a lot of different things that you can consider when putting a rom onto a cartridge.

- You can go with a certain year. If this is the case, you need to worry about what you will do if you use a year with more or less than 28 teams as TSB has this hard coded.

- You can go with All-star teams made up of the best players for a franchise or the best players at every position from a franchise.

- You need to make sure that the playbooks are setup to your default liking else you will endlessly need to change them

- You need to make sure the sim stats have been changed to reflect the strength of the teams else the 49ers will always be good and the Patriots will always be bad.

You can always find an already modded rom or moddify any rom yourself. www.emuare.com contains the tools for making most text changes in the game.

Also replacing the graphics chip is another viable option. What fun is it to be the Ravens with the Cleveland Brown's helmet.

I have a bunch of roms on my site.

As far as good roms go, I'd recommend roms by Sblueman if simming that mirrors a NFL season is important, roms by Jeid for two player games, and roms by Denny for an all around "tecmo feel"

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a question... In the updated version, are the players names just changed around, or do the new players actually have their own stats that are different from the original Tecmo Super Bowl. If they have their own new stats, I might have to get this game on a cart someday!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    It's tough to say what Tecmo Rom is best. I like the one I have but if your a fan of one the teams that get left off it would suck. Here is the link to the Rom I used. Its a preseason 04-05 Rom so most of the good rookies are their but not very good.

http://www.geocities.com/ffguru2001/TSB/TSB.html

http://www.knobbe.org/mx/index.php?p...le&file_id=127
    It's ok, except, the Packer's uniforms look rather bad :P
    ~~~GrayFox~~~
    Current thoughts and published articles = http://grayfoxtastical.1up.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011
    I have a question... In the updated version, are the players names just changed around, or do the new players actually have their own stats that are different from the original Tecmo Super Bowl. If they have their own new stats, I might have to get this game on a cart someday!
    Stats have indeed been changed. You can change just about anything in the game.

Also for people thinking about getting it put on a cart, I'm working on a box design that I'll make available for download. (for people that want to print it out and make a box for their new Tecmo Super Bowl game) I've made boxes before and if you have a decent printer and use a card stock then glue it to another sheet of card stock you can make a nice box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by classicb
    Quote Originally Posted by imanerd0011
    Stats have indeed been changed. You can change just about anything in the game.
    I was gonna ask that question myself actually. You know by chance how hard it is to hack and change the names and stats for Tecmo Super Bowl?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

while I've never done it myself I believe it can be done very easily. over at knobbe.org they have all kinds of tools to hack the Tecmo Super Bowl game.

on a side note I got some friends coming over tonight and were going to have a little Tecmo Super Bowl tournement. We'll be using my updated cart and using all the teams that were in the playoffs this year. the Falcons will have another shot at the Super Bowl... well Tecmo Super Bowl

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Figured this was a worthy enough topic to ressurect regardless of the purpose, but this is a good one. Check out this idiotic review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...games&n=507846

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

two of my roomies and I are nearing the playoffs in our Tecmo leaugue (using the official cart). I have guided the Phoenix Cardinals to a 14-0 start (i usually lose 1 game per season, figured i would lose 2 this year Cards have a tough schedule Eagles and Giants twice and they play the Niners).

anyone have any Tecmo records they would like to share, i am interested in how my stats compare.
    Eyes - Pete and Pete, Bullet Ballet
    Ears - Exploding Hearts , Tattle Tales
    Hands - Neutopia II, NBA Live 05

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly recommend Leonk: http://nesreproductions.com.

I updated the ROM classicb used & threw myself on the Cowboy's bench just for fun.

The cart he made looks just like a NES orginal, complete with a glossy label. There's no better way to play Tecmo Bowl than on the NES.

As far as stats go, my greatest acheivement is probably this:

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.