Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preorder Bonus Problem @ Gamestop: Need Advice

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Preorder Bonus Problem @ Gamestop: Need Advice

Wehn I went into my local Gamestop today to pick up my preordered copy of Suikoden IV I was saddened to learn that they did not have the art book to go with it. When I asked the clerk what I should do he said to call customer service and that they could mail me one.

So I go home, call customer service and they tell me that I need to deal with the store because they sent them out to the stores and they should have them, and that they cannot just mail me one. They said the only thing I could do was register a complaint about the store and say that I didn't get the item like I was suppsed to. I didn't want to make a fuss for the Manager's at Gamestop so I declined.

So I'm wondering if anyone whose had a similar experience, or someone who works at a GS could give me any advice. Should I register a complaint? Is it possible that the art books missed the shipment and will be there in a day or two, or should I just kiss the thing goodbye?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Happens all the time (both at EB and GS).. and that's only when they deliver the game because I also sometimes has to wait a couple weeks after release to get a pre-ordered copy available at the store.

I did send a complaint online (to EB) and they quickly replied to me basically saying "too bad".

Nowadays I do not pre-order anything from either one and have always found what I was looking for at CompUSA, TRU on release (minus the "bonus" which are usually not that great anyway).

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

You should have repeated the now famous Seinfeld shpeal about taking reservations.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Double post. Sorry.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I would guess that the art books will arrive a day or two afterward. I know our store hadn't gotten them in yet either.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

A whole load of Gamestops didn't seem to be handing out RE soundtracks either when people were buying the limited edition tin yesterday either. QoF didn't get any at either place for hers and my copy, and a number of other people I know in the US off these boards didn't get one either. They were told they'd get it when they picked up the game (even though the Gamestop website says they should have gotten it when pre-ordering, instead people got the demo disc) and in general it didn't materialise in a lot of places.

I know people that did get it... but more that did not.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems the only way to get everything that you're supposed to get with a preorder from Gamestop or EB is to place your preorder directly from their website. Otherwise, it's anyone's guess as to whether or not you'll ever get all your goodies, and most likely you probably won't. Personally, I think there needs to be a class action lawsuit against both chains for false advertising, maybe then they'll learn how to get their acts together on this kinda stuff. I'd also write to the publisher of the game and complain about not getting my preorder goodies. I dunno if it would do any good or not, but if enough people started doing that then hopefully it would get the publishers to start cracking down on Gamestop & EB for this kinda crap. Because the saddest part of all of it is the fact that Gamestop & EB are the ones who put the pressure on the publishers for their exclusive preorder goodies. The whole idea behind it is to get people into their stores to buy the games from them instead of someone else. So if they are reaping the rewards of their preorder programs without delivering the goods to their customers, then they need to be taken to court over it or something. I'd file a complaint with the BBB too. Screw Gamestop & EB, I won't even buy anything from them anymore, unless I do order it online. I went through the same thing over my RCT3 preorder, and I will never make that mistake with either chain again, unless I do order it directly from their website, and then I still dunno if you actually get everything that you're supposed to that way, because I haven't tried it yet. But at least if you don't, then you're dealing with the distribution center and their website. BTW, I'd save a copy of the page that claims you'll get whatever it is you're supposed to get for evidence too, because as soon as the game ships, all those pages come down and then you have no proof of their false advertising. I think it's all become a big scam with them, myself.
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I would have made the stink, documented everything, and then posted it all online.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just as an aside, I could see any kid working at one of these stores doing everything in their power to take home all the preorder goodies they could =P

That sucks, though. Here's why I don't preorder. Whee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ongakuhenjin
    PSN
    ongakuhito

Sometimes that happens with preorder stuff. So what. The artbooks will be in stores in the next day or two, so show up with your receipt, and preorder receipt if you still have it and the Manager will give you one. I had a few people get their games today, and told them to stop back on Friday and I'd have there artbook set aside for them. Sometimes these things come in early, like the Punisher T-shirts, sometimes the arrive after the game, such as in this occasion.

Just as an aside, I could see any kid working at one of these stores doing everything in their power to take home all the preorder goodies they could

Realize that most stores do not hire collector's for such reasons as this, and want people who can sell there products, not dumpster dive and take freebies. Employee's can only take stuff home if they preorder it, at least in my district, and these companies are not out to "get you", stop acting paranoid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco
    Realize that most stores do not hire collector's for such reasons as this, and want people who can sell there products, not dumpster dive and take freebies. Employee's can only take stuff home if they preorder it, at least in my district, and these companies are not out to "get you", stop acting paranoid. @_@
    I'm not paranoid, because what goes on with the preorders doesn't affect me one way or another ;D Of course stores wouldn't hire known collectors for that reason. All the same...where are the discs going? Well, on the one hand there's incompetence on the part of the register people if they're just giving them out to whomever asks for them, that or they're being taken home. Simple.

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is why I never preorder. Too much of a chance I'll miss out on the bonus cause the store doesn't give a shit then I've put 5 bucks down already and gotta buy it there when I could get it at my own store with discount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ongakuhenjin
    PSN
    ongakuhito

What discs? I thought we were talking about artbooks? Those have not arrived yet. And are usually allocated to however many reserves stores take on them so they will be there for the preorders. If they dont have it when you come to get yours, then complain. But if they aren't even there yet, hold the anger for another time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ya know if they don't get the preorder item you can just cancel...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ongakuhenjin
    PSN
    ongakuhito

So true...

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

*raises hand*

I worked at gamestop and the preorder freebies being taken by employees is all too plausible if the manager himself is a collector. And there's no way for whoevers hiring to truly know whether an employee is a collector or not. My first thought was actually "Collector manager".

It happens.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well tomorrow after I get paid I'm planning on going back to pick up a strategy guide and ask about the artbook. I don't still have my preorder slip because the clerk took it and didn't give it back, but I do still have the game reciept that has the preorder amount on it, so if they are in I shouldn't have any trouble getting them.

Plus I think I'm the only person who preordered that game there anyway (they got in a total of 5 Suikodens, and they only had 4 lefet after I got mine), so hopefully I'll get it. Also it's the same guy working there duing the day during the week and he's already seen me twice asking about the art book, so he'll probably remember and give it to me without a problem if they have it.

This is going to be a lesson learned though. I am no longer preordering from a store, unless the goodies come selaed in the actual game like Halo 2 LE or RE4 CE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I used to have a ton of issues with EB and their pre-order items, before I worked at Gamestop. Bottom line, be persistent. Ask the store to give you an ETA of the date they will expect it in. Keep calling, but don't be rude. Ask them to send an email to Corporate or the DM in the area. In most cases they aren't out to get you.

In Brisco's store, he puts aside a pre-order item/bonus disc/t-shirt/whatever for each reserve. If there are extras, then he lets the employees who didn't reserve them take one home. Like Getaway 2 bonus discs....no one wants those....

Eepo!

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya know, it DOES say all over the place "while supplies last, check your local store to see if they have it in stock" etc... etc....
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ongakuhenjin
    PSN
    ongakuhito

Actually it is pretty easy to figure out if a potential employee is a collector, a gamer, or someone with some knowledge if you know which questions to ask in an interview. I'm not anti collector obviously, just the companies as a whole. If I was would I have 2 of our very own working at my store?