Thread: PAC-S10 Laseractive : can it play Japanese Sega-Cds?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PAC-S10 Laseractive : can it play Japanese Sega-Cds?

I read some conflicting information as to wether or not the PAC-S10 can read the Japanese Mega-Cds : the DP guide says it cannot but some other sites says it can (nekofan.free.fr)

Can anyone confirm this for me : Can the PAC-S10 (US version) play both US/Jap cartdridges and US Sega CDs/ Jp. Mega Cds.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bump

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The answer is NO, the same compatibility issues will apply when you put Japanese Sega CD games on US Sega CD, there're a few early SCD titles that will work on either system.

If you want to play Japanese SCD games, get PAC-S1, which is not hard to find at all.

For those curious about TurboGrafx, all CD games will work on either PAC-N1 or PAC-N10 (except ACD games), hucards games don't, however.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But I'm fairly sure it will play Japanese Mega LDs. Go figure.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

LD's? this thing had laserdiscs?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by soniko_karuto
    How odd! Especially since the Laseractive is a laser disc player.

Check out the Laseractive section, particularly info on the console itself. No need to be befuddled about such basic information when it's right at your fingertips.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by soniko_karuto
    How odd! Especially since the Laseractive is a laser disc player.

Check out the Laseractive section, particularly info on the console itself. No need to be befuddled about such basic information when it's right at your fingertips.
    hehe, sorry, but i didn't even knew there was a laserdisc/game hybrid.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    OK, I'll go over compatibility issues:

LD format-

MegaLD and LD-Rom2 games are all universally compatible, you can play any MegaLD/LD-Rom games on either PAC-S1/PAC-N1 (or PAC-LD1) or PAC-S10/PAC-N10 (10s are US modules), you can not, however, play any MegaLD game(s) on modules with LD-Rom2 designations, and vice versa.

PC-E/Turbo CD/SCD games-

You can play those games on any module with LD-Rom2 designation, namely PAC-N1, PAC-N10, and PAC-LD1, with exceptions of a few Japanese CD/SCD games that will not work on US TurboGrafx module PAC-N10, such as Altered Beast, same incompatibility issues as regular US Duo system.

PC-E ACD games-

One of the most confusing,

For PAC-N1, please use Arcade Duo card, Arcade Pro (orange card) will jam the module, I've done this and it was a bitch to take it off (we had to take the module apart)

PAC-LD1, same with Arcade Duo, however, 8 ACD games will not work on this thing for some reason, namely SNK fighters, I know, Pioneer was very pissed when they found out about it, I'll explain NEC's LP1 and LD1 a little bit later.

PAC-N10- The TurboGrafx module will need kisado convertor and Arcade Card Duo to play all the games.

TurboGrafx hucard games-

Can only play with PAC-N10

PC-E Hucard games-

PAC-N1 and PAC-LD1, all will work, for PAC-N10, Kisado convertor is required.

MegaCD and MegaDrive games-

You can only play those on PAC-S1, a few early Sega CD games will play on it, but most will not, a few European LaserActive owners reported a good chunk of Euro MegaCD and MegaDrive games will work on Japanese MegaDrive PAC-S1. An interesting note, far more PAL MegaDrive/MegaCD games work on PAC-S1, but not PAC-S10 (Genesis module), so I recommend owners in Europe get Japanese Sega module PAC-S1. (MegaDrive module)

SegaCD and Genesis games-

Sega had this locked out early so you'll need PAC-S10 to play at least most games, very few games will work on PAC-S1.

Besides Pioneer, NEC also made their own LaserActive system, LP1, the main deck, and PAC-LD1, the PC-Engine module, these are identical clones to Pioneer's own CLD-A100 and PAC-N1, you can even exchange the modules with Pioneer's and they'll work, there was one on eBay recently

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8157642456

As I mentioned earlier, 8 ACD games will not work on this thing, if you want to play all ACD games, get Pioneer's PAC-N1. LaserActive system has a lot of accessories with it, the only one I do not have is the NEC LD1 and LP1, the rest are all here

One last thing, the issue of compatibility is determined by the module you put in, not where the main deck is made, if you live in US, try to get US main deck CLD-A100 since this has higher voltage 120V, while Jp CLD-A100 only takes 100V. A main deck, let it be US CLD-A100, Jp CLD-A100, or NEC's LD1 will take any moduel out there.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    OK, I'll go over compatibility issues:

LD format-

MegaLD and LD-Rom2 games are all universally compatible, you can play any MegaLD/LD-Rom games on either PAC-S1/PAC-N1 (or PAC-LD1) or PAC-S10/PAC-N10 (10s are US modules), you can not, however, play any MegaLD game(s) on modules with LD-Rom2 designations, and vice versa.

PC-E/Turbo CD/SCD games-

You can play those games on any module with LD-Rom2 designation, namely PAC-N1, PAC-N10, and PAC-LD1, with exceptions of a few Japanese CD/SCD games that will not work on US TurboGrafx module PAC-N10, such as Altered Beast, same incompatibility issues as regular US Duo system.

PC-E ACD games-

One of the most confusing,

For PAC-N1, please use Arcade Duo card, Arcade Pro (orange card) will jam the module, I've done this and it was a bitch to take it off (we had to take the module apart)

PAC-LD1, same with Arcade Duo, however, 8 ACD games will not work on this thing for some reason, namely SNK fighters, I know, Pioneer was very pissed when they found out about it, I'll explain NEC's LP1 and LD1 a little bit later.

PAC-N10- The TurboGrafx module will need kisado convertor and Arcade Card Duo to play all the games.

TurboGrafx hucard games-

Can only play with PAC-N10

PC-E Hucard games-

PAC-N1 and PAC-LD1, all will work, for PAC-N10, Kisado convertor is required.

MegaCD and MegaDrive games-

You can only play those on PAC-S1, a few early Sega CD games will play on it, but most will not, a few European LaserActive owners reported a good chunk of Euro MegaCD and MegaDrive games will work on Japanese MegaDrive PAC-S1. An interesting note, far more PAL MegaDrive/MegaCD games work on PAC-S1, but not PAC-S10 (Genesis module), so I recommend owners in Europe get Japanese Sega module PAC-S1. (MegaDrive module)

SegaCD and Genesis games-

Sega had this locked out early so you'll need PAC-S10 to play at least most games, very few games will work on PAC-S1.

Besides Pioneer, NEC also made their own LaserActive system, LP1, the main deck, and PAC-LD1, the PC-Engine module, these are identical clones to Pioneer's own CLD-A100 and PAC-N1, you can even exchange the modules with Pioneer's and they'll work, there was one on eBay recently

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8157642456

As I mentioned earlier, 8 ACD games will not work on this thing, if you want to play all ACD games, get Pioneer's PAC-N1. LaserActive system has a lot of accessories with it, the only one I do not have is the NEC LD1 and LP1, the rest are all here

One last thing, the issue of compatibility is determined by the module you put in, not where the main deck is made, if you live in US, try to get US main deck CLD-A100 since this has higher voltage 120V, while Jp CLD-A100 only takes 100V. A main deck, let it be US CLD-A100, Jp CLD-A100, or NEC's LD1 will take any moduel out there.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default e

Man, I'd hate to have to study for that test! That's very thorough, vincewy. Nicely worded!

For all the Turbo and Genesis compatibility questions that pop on the board every now and then, this thread oughta be a sticky in the import section!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!